Happy 20th birthday.

This section is for forum related issues, problems and questions when Ash screws something up!
User avatar
03
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Happy 20th birthday.

Postby 03 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:06 am

Time flies when you're having fun etc..... It dawned on me this morning, quite randomly. It's 2019 and this year marks the twentieth anniversary of me building the very first incarnation of UKBEG on t'internet in 1999. We became the UK's and possibly Europe's first virtual only motorcycle group/club. A lot of water flowed under the bridge. UKBEG became an essential piece of many people's lives for around a decade or so. The group website was arguably the second most popular resource on the web for the brand, second only to Bad Weather Bikers run by Blake Rudy. Where'd the time go?

User avatar
Nutah
Posts: 10503
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Current ride: X1 2001
Location: southampton

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby Nutah » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:42 am

:shock: 20years :shock:
"It will never catch on "

Steve :worthy: :worthy: :yup:
long may it continue :sun:
Feros Ferio

User avatar
03
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby 03 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:30 am

Nutah wrote::shock: 20years :shock:
"It will never catch on "

Steve :worthy: :worthy: :yup:
long may it continue :sun:

Yes - "It will never catch on" is exactly what I was told. (I made the banner above and sometime later, Ash added the text stating that.) Thank goodness I didn't listen.

The very first poster of all on the very first forum we had was Doug (S1nner) who I think on the odd occasion does still visit here, then Squiz and Alison very soon after, followed by Norm and Redstar. The rest is history.

But how time flies. For the first decade or so this place was an essential read every morning and through out the day for dozens of people. Such a shame that when you visit now there's an evens chance of there being nothing posted since the previous visit.

But things change, the factory goes defunct, people move on and Facebook becomes the place that killed a million internet forums and chat rooms. C'est la vie and all that.

User avatar
Nutah
Posts: 10503
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Current ride: X1 2001
Location: southampton

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby Nutah » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:38 pm

yeh facebook fucks stuff in some ways
but has it's uses , useless in that you cant find any thing when you need it ,for tech reference
owners forums are still the best , fashions come & go .
I think the factory pulling the plug didn't help ,but like all the old Brit bikes we will soldier on.
Who knows one day ,the Buell's might be valued instead of chopper fodder :sun:
:mrgreen:
Feros Ferio

User avatar
barney
Posts: 3763
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:10 pm
Current ride: Buell ulysses
Location: Telford

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby barney » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:00 pm

:yt: :yup:
Buell Ulysses XB12X 06/08

User avatar
Kiwi
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:28 pm
Current ride: 1125r XB12X
Location: South

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby Kiwi » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:51 pm

:yup:

User avatar
Ash
Needs more cowbell
Posts: 8608
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:09 am
Current ride: None
Location: Southampton

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:23 pm

:yup: :sun:
"With square conduct, level steps, and upright intentions ..”

User avatar
t965m
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 6:54 pm
Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
Location: West Lothian, Bonnie Scotland

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby t965m » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Still pretty much a daily visit but far less posts than of old which is sad.

It’s a great site for reference for those that do their own ticketing or proper spannering. The beauty is that everything is referenced and in order unlike FB which is transient and you can’t find anything which is of no use.

Hopefully it’ll never die and will weather the storm of FB. Let’s hope so :yup:

Happy Birthday UKBEG’ers :4roz:
Better to Burn Out Than Fade Away

In the garage -

2001 X1
EBR 1190SX
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
Ducati 1199
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

User avatar
Adam
Moderator
Posts: 11772
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Oswestry

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby Adam » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:34 pm

I wonder what happened to Squiz? Not seen him for years.
If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough.

User avatar
s1nner
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 10:34 am
Current ride: Yr Mrs
Location: Where the Hert is.

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby s1nner » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:14 am

03 wrote:
The very first poster of all on the very first forum we had was Doug (S1nner) who I think on the odd occasion does still visit here, then Squiz and Alison very soon after, followed by Norm and Redstar. The rest is history.



Steve - I still pop by most days out of habit, I’m pleased to say, and remain as grateful to you now as then. I can’t help but think that whilst Erik made the bikes, your efforts and foresight that day made Buell ownership in the UK something truly special for an awful lot of people.

Still not convinced it will catch on tbh, but let’s stick with it for a while longer.

I love my bike. It’s an S1 Lightning. Don’t you know.
Truly S1nthetic
Peccav1

User avatar
03
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby 03 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:37 am

s1nner wrote:
03 wrote:
The very first poster of all on the very first forum we had was Doug (S1nner) who I think on the odd occasion does still visit here, then Squiz and Alison very soon after, followed by Norm and Redstar. The rest is history.



Steve - I still pop by most days out of habit, I’m pleased to say, and remain as grateful to you now as then. I can’t help but think that whilst Erik made the bikes, your efforts and foresight that day made Buell ownership in the UK something truly special for an awful lot of people.

Still not convinced it will catch on tbh, but let’s stick with it for a while longer.

I love my bike. It’s an S1 Lightning. Don’t you know.

Terrific to hear from you, Doug. Keep the faith. And yes, your S1 is indeed a nice bike. Take care, hope to catch up with you (and many others too) sometime.

User avatar
03
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby 03 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:41 am

Adam wrote:I wonder what happened to Squiz? Not seen him for years.
I think we can make a guess where he's been at least some of that time.

I did stumble across a few of his posts when googling one time, where he'd been posting on a trail riding forum. Of course, around Squiz's neck of the woods over in Derbyshire, off road biking is quite a popular past time so perhaps not a big surprise. That was ages ago though. His antics recorded by Mr Plod on his S1W with pillion are still on YouTube.

User avatar
barney
Posts: 3763
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:10 pm
Current ride: Buell ulysses
Location: Telford

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby barney » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:59 am

t965m wrote:Still pretty much a daily visit but far less posts than of old which is sad.

It’s a great site for reference for those that do their own ticketing or proper spannering. The beauty is that everything is referenced and in order unlike FB which is transient and you can’t find anything which is of no use.

Hopefully it’ll never die and will weather the storm of FB. Let’s hope so :yup:

Happy Birthday UKBEG’ers :4roz:

:yt: well said :yup:
Buell Ulysses XB12X 06/08

User avatar
edd
Posts: 3394
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Current ride: XB9SX

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby edd » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:48 am

FB is a symptom of our current throw away society........and like many things FB will be thrown away itself for something else! ;)

Jazzbutcher
Posts: 1603
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Current ride: Buell 1125R

Re: Happy 20th birthday.

Postby Jazzbutcher » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:38 pm

barney wrote:
t965m wrote:Still pretty much a daily visit but far less posts than of old which is sad.

It’s a great site for reference for those that do their own ticketing or proper spannering. The beauty is that everything is referenced and in order unlike FB which is transient and you can’t find anything which is of no use.

Hopefully it’ll never die and will weather the storm of FB. Let’s hope so :yup:

Happy Birthday UKBEG’ers :4roz:

:yt: well said :yup:


I've been on the American Buell XB site a few times, it's not a patch on UKBEG for either direction/instruction or conversation.
UKBEG is a at least a once daily visit for me when I check my emails & Ebay.
There aren't many sites I would actually pay anything for, this one is worth every penny I donate to club funds (which isn't much and this 1125r keeps my funds in that state).
Thanks to those who put the time in to keep it up & running. I don't know who you are but, Respect :worthy:
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.


Return to “Website and Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest