Petrol Prices

Off topic discussion and chat, registered forum members access only.
Nutah
Current ride: X1 2001

Re: Petrol Prices

Postby Nutah » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:48 pm

this country is turning into a cash vacuum :sad1:
Feros Ferio

barney
Current ride: Buell ulysses

Postby barney » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:03 pm

why is elec price rise cheaper in other countries, is someone just jumping on the Brexit , covid, bandwagon of price rises :?:
France 4% rise
Austria 12.4%
Italy 20%
Britain 54%
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/ene ... -1.4792963
Buell Ulysses XB12X 06/08

barney

Postby barney » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:22 pm

Just a thought: idea: with these large increases in costs for Elec ,at what stage is it cheaper to go off grid and generate your own , solar panels , battery banks , inverter . for low current stuff ,lights , etc. then generator for high kwh stuff or back on the grid for heavy loads only .

Dusty
Current ride: A black one
Location: Wales. The land of dragons, welshcakes and full reservoirs.

Postby Dusty » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:47 pm

Thank you for the Irish Times link.
Dusty 001

Jones
Current ride: XB9R Firebolt

Postby Jones » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:15 am

Most of this price rise is to subsidise the renewables, plus the nice directors need a decent bonus. Drax power station was the largest coal fired power station in europe got grants to change many of it's boilers to biomass from west coast of U.S.A and Canada. Chop down the trees process then send 6.000 miles to U.K. This is green energy?.Previously it got coal from Kellingley pit just down the road.

barney

Postby barney » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:51 am

:yt: same here with Ironbridge power station , then they closed it, before putting in place any other power generating system to take up the slack :roll: no forward planning :headbang:

Jazzbutcher
Current ride: Buell 1125R

Postby Jazzbutcher » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:19 am

Greed! Is the culprit.
I was reading about Africa & the reason why they won't utilise solar power over most of the Sahara desert.
Guess what?
Because the cost of making the cable & cabling it to Europe is too much.
Well yes, I understand that in greed driven profiteering terms, but what about powering Africa itself?
They're humans too, but then I guess we'd have another greed driven super power on our hands to deal with.
It's a really crazy world.
Then again it ain't raining, I've got a Buell & riding it stops me going crazy thinking about the shit I can't do anything about.
Highly recommended solution.
Have a great day folks. Paul.
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.

edd
Current ride: XB9SX

Postby edd » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:52 pm

Yes it’s all due to poor management, selfish greed and political expediency. Except that now that a sizeable proportion of the electorate are on minimum wage and zero hours they have no slack left for such a hike in living costs. :roll: And now that most of their income is consumed by just eating or keeping warm before driving oil burning cars to work, because they can’t afford electric and public transport doesn’t go there they might just vote for the Monster Raving Loony party instead! :mrgreen:

On a brighter note V-Power has dropped in price by 7p a litre. I’ll top up my Buell then. ;)

Bonzo
Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt

Postby Bonzo » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:29 am

This may seem slightly tangential to this discussion, but no-one wanting oil and gas is contributing to price rises. Anyway, this lot would have more credibility if they weren't entirely clad in petroleum derived clothing, and didn't have a banner produced and printed with petroleum derived substances...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cov ... e-60973447
Wear the fox hat

ursus americanus
Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR

Postby ursus americanus » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:41 am

Seems to be a bit of a fuel shortage going on at the moment but the media seem to have learnt (or been told) from the last time they created mass hysteria and panic buying so don't seem to be reporting it.

On Saturday I was working in Newbury and drove down in the van. With a 65 mile journey home ahead of me the fuel gauge was showing 50 miles remaining. Went to two supermarkets in Newbury - no diesel :shock: Set off up the A34, called in to three service areas - no diesel. Eventually limped on to the forecourt of Tescos in Bicester with the gauge showing 0 :o Forecourt closed with no fuel and no indication when they would have a delivery. Called the other half who wasn't impressed at having to drive 20 miles with a jerry can of diesel which I had fortuitously bought last weekend to put in the tractor. Eventually filled up in Buckingham. It would appear that 14% of our diesel comes from Russia so no surprise that there's a bit of a shortage but surprised that it's not all over the media and social media. They are telling us about Sunflower Oil shortages though lOl

Steve
Back on the road again!

Finmows
Current ride: The wife

Postby Finmows » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:54 am

Moral of the story...
Have a jerry in the van!....having diesel it up would be a good plan also ;) lOl
I hate being strapped for cash....but it pays the bills

Dusty

Postby Dusty » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:09 pm

That will be the red diesel for the tractor then Steve? Naughty lOl
Dusty 001

barney

Postby barney » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:33 am

as of the 1st of April , red diesel has been discontinued .
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... an-be-used
so lots more demand now for ordinary (taxed) :roll: white diesel , all those refrigerated lorry’s you see on the motorway delivering your food to supermarkets ( food prices will rise ) :roll:

rik
Current ride: M2 Razorback

Postby rik » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:19 am

This story illustrates the cost difference... :shock:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/21/fisherma ... 13641/amp/
'98 M2 Razorback, it's a keeper.

Dusty

Postby Dusty » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:34 am

It's all a load of tosh. If you read the small print, for the majority of red diesel users nothing has changed, except the feckin price. I bought 100 litres in cans in March for my agricultural machines. I asked the lady who served me on the pump what would happen after April 1st. She said she had no idea, as no one ftom the "authorities " had provided any guidance. As for the fella with the boat, good luck with that at Tesco when the pump cuts out @ £99 lOl
Dusty 001

Return to “Social”