How bist?

Off topic discussion and chat, registered forum members access only.
edd
Current ride: XB9SX

How bist?

Postby edd » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:58 am

While the world appears to be going downhill, I noticed that things have been relatively slow on the forum, or have I just not been looking in either? I was wondering how others are getting along with work, bills, bikes or other distractions not normally covered here?

Work has dropped off a bit for me as companies utilise their core drivers and use less agency workers, but it picked up this week. :? At least I have a few friends and a relative who want my help with a few tasks. :|
My partners legal battle with her trust has gone nowhere now that her trust funds are too low for solicitors to be interested in milking it. :headbang: By coincidence the Social Services have agreed to chip in with care costs and hopefully more, which is typically ironic as if we had won what was due the tax payer would not have had to pay anything. The law is an ass in triplicate! :roll:
On another forum about hifi, just by chance I got talking to a chap in the US who drag races big Harley’s. I also discovered that Harley Formula plus works well in on of my turntable bearings. :P
Went out for a long overdue run in the sunshine on my XB last Friday. :sun:

That’s pretty much it at the moment. How about y’all?

ursus americanus
Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR

Re: How bist?

Postby ursus americanus » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:57 pm

Working part time in the motorcycle trade for anyone who needs me - generally 2-3 days a week at Greenham Kawasaki. Having an extension built on the house which means we've had no heating for two months and now our washing machine, fridge and two electric rings are in the barn so 100m walk to the kitchen.

Escaping it all on Monday on the Triumph Tiger to ride via the Stelvio Pass to a HOG Rally in Slovenia then back via the Grossglockner Pass to the Buell Midsummer Meet in Germany the following week. Expecting to catch up with Pepper, Ron T and Jens and family from NCCR when I get there. That's more like it 8-)

Steve
Back on the road again!

barney
Current ride: Buell ulysses

Postby barney » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:27 am

I just work 2 days a week, HGV driver ,nice work life balance 2 on 5 off .
kinda catching up with all the little jobs at home and in the garden , as well as helping to look after ageing and infirm parent,
got a couple of bikes and cars to keep me busy with servicing and maintenance, I do try and get out on the Buell at least once a month during the summer , not been to any meetings as of yet and its already June and half past year .
Buell Ulysses XB12X 06/08

edd

Postby edd » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:01 am

Oh yes! I forgot to mention we did go to watch 'Top Gun - Maverick' last Saturday. A little bit of a far fetched story, but fun and engrossing if you don't mind Tom Cruise! 8-) Clever referrals to the first Top Gun movie 34 years ago. ;)

TOPGUMM
Current ride: S1`s

Postby TOPGUMM » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:05 pm

Retired ,although doing building bits for people I know then a call from a guy wanting antique furniture repaired in my own time.
Spent the money on a cyclone engine from Scotland , quick 800mile round trip to home for a few in the local with the mrs. Told her it was north of Liverpool , so didn`t lie....
Fitted cctv to my garages in back lane , fuck there`s some nosey people about lOl

TOPGUMM
Current ride: S1`s

Postby TOPGUMM » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:12 pm

1999 cyclone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

barney

Postby barney » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:53 pm

:yup: 8-)

Mitch
Current ride: Xb12Scg

Postby Mitch » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:40 pm

Retired at the beginning of April last year. Ben keeping occupied with a lot of cycling (mountain bike and gravel). Doing some longish rides now (54 miles last Friday. Haven't got either Buell back on the road. Just can't seem to find the urge at the moment. Roads are that busy down here, I need to get up about 4 am to get a quiet ride. I keep telling myself to get out in the garage and sort the bikes out.

Cycling side of it is that I prefer riding on my own, but got to know some disabled veterans that use recumbent trikes, some of them hand powered with electric motors. I get out with them a couple of times a month just to help out. Been on a ride leaders course so I can guide people as well. (It was free).

Getting back in to photography as another hobby. Got an Olympus OMD Mk 5 III as I had a few lenses that would fit.

I'm as busy, if not more than when I was working. Can't abide sitting down for long. Except when having a bit of food and drink. My father is 96 and still going strong. I pop in and have a chat and help out with things if he finds it too difficult or can't be bothered. It's a good life.

att

Postby att » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:45 pm

Retired completely...I now live in Portugal and have a small wine farm that needed clearing, done that.
Planted up for food, done that.
Recovered vines, nature did that and my clearing helped...Now it is just keeping weeded, picking the fruits of my labour and chilling out while I await my licence exchange (I am not allowed to ride or drive until I have a temporary permit) I am allowed to ride off road though and we are surrounded by trails...Got bored with that and now do a bit of illegal tarmac...Need for speed and all that, but we are well out of the way, proper rural.
If I came off a bike the old world vultures would see me gone soon enough lOl

I got internet in Feb. went back on FB, but dumped it completely a couple of days back...It is just not right, not normal and so fucking boring, also felt directed, thus not real.

FB really, truly is the work of those who would have us living under global communism, it ain`t right and should not be allowed, as it propagates mediocrity at all levels, it is completely natural to be angry, be nasty and to lose your shit, but FB does not allow this, so it is full of pretend nice people doing nice things, makes me fucking sick.

Fuck Facebook.

Nutah
Current ride: X1 2001

Postby Nutah » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:13 pm

working continental shift , fucking awful hate it
lifes shit, works shit ..
I got the Buell back on the road after far far too long , thought I ought to before its too late
before fuel gets £20 a gallon , or we get ulez everywhere , or I just give up
been thinking about selling it on & off dunno we shall see :sad1:
sorry to be such a miserable twat .
Feros Ferio

ursus americanus
Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR

Postby ursus americanus » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:45 pm

att wrote:Retired completely...I now live in Portugal and have a small wine farm that needed clearing, done that.
Planted up for food, done that.
Recovered vines, nature did that and my clearing helped...Now it is just keeping weeded, picking the fruits of my labour and chilling out while I await my licence exchange (I am not allowed to ride or drive until I have a temporary permit) I am allowed to ride off road though and we are surrounded by trails...Got bored with that and now do a bit of illegal tarmac...Need for speed and all that, but we are well out of the way, proper rural.
If I came off a bike the old world vultures would see me gone soon enough lOl

I got internet in Feb. went back on FB, but dumped it completely a couple of days back...It is just not right, not normal and so fucking boring, also felt directed, thus not real.

FB really, truly is the work of those who would have us living under global communism, it ain`t right and should not be allowed, as it propagates mediocrity at all levels, it is completely natural to be angry, be nasty and to lose your shit, but FB does not allow this, so it is full of pretend nice people doing nice things, makes me fucking sick.

Fuck Facebook.

Shit! Can't find the "like" button lOl

And, Nutah, cheer up - you had a laugh on the DGR and if it all gets you down too much you can always "PM me, Hun :4roz: "

Steve
Back on the road again!

edd

Postby edd » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:01 pm

barney wrote:I just work 2 days a week, HGV driver ,nice work life balance 2 on 5 off .
kinda catching up with all the little jobs at home and in the garden , as well as helping to look after ageing and infirm parent,
got a couple of bikes and cars to keep me busy with servicing and maintenance, I do try and get out on the Buell at least once a month during the summer , not been to any meetings as of yet and its already June and half past year .

Yes that almost parallels my life and work pattern at the moment, also looking after my disabled partner when home, but I can rarely predict where or when I will work driving a 3.5T van. :? There are brighter work moments; Monday 4:30 am the agency out of hours wake me with a call asking me to drive a delivery at 5:30 am. We negotiate a 5:45 start. ;) My favourite Sprinter van heavily laden with three drops to Cornwall calling at Eden Project, Padstow and Tintagel, 412 miles, 17:45 finish. I actually enjoy runs like that, much better than 10 work intensive drops locally, and still cheaper than going to the gym! 8-)

Keep on trucking.....sort of! :yup:

att

Postby att » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:15 pm

edd wrote:
barney wrote:I just work 2 days a week, HGV driver ,nice work life balance 2 on 5 off .

Yes that almost parallels my life and work pattern at the moment, also looking after my disabled partner when home, but I can rarely predict where or when I will work driving a 3.5T van. :? There are brighter work moments; Monday 4:30 am the agency out of hours wake me with a call asking me to drive a delivery at 5:30 am. We negotiate a 5:45 start. ;) My favourite Sprinter van heavily laden with three drops to Cornwall calling at Eden Project, Padstow and Tintagel, 412 miles, 17:45 finish. I actually enjoy runs like that, much better than 10 work intensive drops locally, and still cheaper than going to the gym! 8-)

I loved driving artics in the UK.
I can understand your position with your partner...Unfortunately my Wendy has alzhiemers/dementia, never did get her diagnosed properly because of the NHS being so shite...We had the conversation about just how shit the NHS and the State were in general and decided to leave the UK because of their treatment of dementia (In that they can force you to sell your home for treatment) So we moved to Portugal so that we can be independent of all Govt. interference and help and keep our home!

Best thing we have ever done, we are left alone, no intrusion, no prospect of having where we live taken from us and best of all the climate allows us to be outside most of the year and Wendy is so much the better for it, to be amongst nature is the best therapy ever, outside enjoying the sun and nature is where it is at for us...So we can live her last days stress free and with no prospect of losing our house to pay for care, that is just so important to the both of us.

I fucking hate the UK for that policy, but it has allowed Wendy to be better and I truly believe it has extended her life, as she is so much better out here...Every cloud and all that :yup:

barney

Postby barney » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:22 pm

edd wrote:

Well that brings back memories ... spent many a few hours in Tintagle sat on the benches at the bottom of "The castle car park " eating proper local made Cornish pasties from "Pengenna Pasties " :4roz:

barney

Postby barney » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:34 pm

att wrote:
edd wrote:

I loved driving artics in the UK.
I can understand your position with your partner...Unfortunately my Wendy has alzhiemers/dementia, never did get her diagnosed properly because of the NHS being so shite...We had the conversation about just how shit the NHS and the State were in general and decided to leave the UK because of their treatment of dementia (In that they can force you to sell your home for treatment) So we moved to Portugal so that we can be independent of all Govt. interference and help and keep our home!

Best thing we have ever done, we are left alone, no intrusion, no prospect of having where we live taken from us and best of all the climate allows us to be outside most of the year and Wendy is so much the better for it, to be amongst nature is the best therapy ever, outside enjoying the sun and nature is where it is at for us...So we can live her last days stress free and with no prospect of losing our house to pay for care, that is just so important to the both of us.

I fucking hate the UK for that policy, but it has allowed Wendy to be better and I truly believe it has extended her life, as she is so much better out here...Every cloud and all that :yup:

Att enjoy the time you have left together , been down that route here in the uk with my mom , did manage to get her in care home for the last year or so , hopefully your choice of location and stress free outdoor living , will bring you and Wendy many more years together .

Return to “Social”