It is currently 28 Mar 2024 13:11

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 09 May 2020 11:18 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
03 wrote:
Far be it for me to diss your idea, it's a great one. I see a couple of issues for you - 1 Is there a track anywhere that will accept bikes as loud as a typical Buell? Hardly any have a muffler worthy of the name. 2 The number of people - There aren't enough people here to fill a phone box. Subtract those who wouldn't dream of going on a track. There won't be many takers, will there? But, great idea. Hope it works.

I'd have a go at that, just for the experience. JB

PostPosted: 09 May 2020 12:11 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
03 wrote:
Far be it for me to diss your idea, it's a great one. I see a couple of issues for you - 1 Is there a track anywhere that will accept bikes as loud as a typical Buell? Hardly any have a muffler worthy of the name. 2 The number of people - There aren't enough people here to fill a phone box. Subtract those who wouldn't dream of going on a track. There won't be many takers, will there? But, great idea. Hope it works.

There you go, that's two of you.

PostPosted: 09 May 2020 20:58 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
03 wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
03 wrote:

There you go, that's two of you.

Make it a straight line and there's three ;)

PostPosted: 09 May 2020 21:22 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: 10 May 2020 09:24 

Wow, and then there were three. :D We're on our way. :dance:

I looked at Cadwell and their track day splits riders into 3 groups of a similar ability and divides the track time between these groups to typically give seven* 20-minute sessions for about £120. Not cheap I know but we paid £100 in 2001 so better value now. lOl
03 mentioned noise levels and he's right. 105 dB(A) at standby but no driveby limit. :shock: Not sure how many of us can achieve that. Interestingly, Snetterton and Brands limits are 102 dB(A) static with a 92 dB(A) driveby. We definitely wouldn't achieve that!

The other thing is to decide on ability. They have Novice, Intermediate and Advanced. I would suggest Novice as I guess most won't have done a track day or it was so long ago that they'll have forgotten what a corner apex is. :old: The other possibility is to try to coincide it with Em's do, either day before or after as that should bring in more punters. Especially as Cadwell is only 16 miles from East Kirby.

PostPosted: 10 May 2020 09:44 

Steady on, at this rate you'll have enough folks to 1/3 fill a phone box :shock:

PostPosted: 10 May 2020 18:59 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
No dB limits where I was thinking of ;)

PostPosted: 12 May 2020 14:31 

Current ride: 1999 X1
To me, the 97 S3T is a keeper, especially in a world where small sports tourers aren't that popular in the brand new market. Triumph no longer makes the sprint, BMW still has the R1250RS and Kawasaki has the Z1000SX, that's pretty much it. Maybe the MV Turismo Veloce Lusso if you can find one or even a dealer.

The nice thing about a 97 is that whatever upgrades you want to do, it's easier with the carb and not worry about F.I. parts and replacements. You can make it an 80 or 88 inch if you want and do it in your garage without the help of experts. I had one after the S2 and RS1200 and really liked it for crossing the country and meeting a lot of other Buellers. I thought it was a good bike but really liked the extra HP of the X1 so if I ever found another and with good inner case halves and body work, I'd probably give it a boost. Not sure I've seen a rectangular sealed beam headlight in the auto parts store in 25 years but I'm sure I'd find something online. But I have long wide open spaces where I live and can get away with speeding pretty easily no matter where I travel and enjoy that extra power.