It is currently 18 Apr 2024 13:35

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 13 Next
 Post subject: Re: Santa Pod drag strip
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2022 09:40 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
barney wrote:
Glad you had a good day gus , after your " good chat with James on an 1125R drag bike" I’m sure Paul will be along shortly to ask a few questions .

Definitely sparked my interest.
I may have a ride down on the 16th to support our drag expert and see if I can find some inspiration or where I left my bollocks.
I suppose I could pay the race fee and maybe have a couple of practice runs if my bollocks turn up on the day.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2022 09:58 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
:yup:

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2022 09:43 

Santa Pod Dragstalgia 10 July
I was invited by Osteveo couple of days before to Ride down for this event. Having kind of committed to the 18th I wasn’t that interested at first but after about 2 hours thinking time thought why not.
So, we decided Sunday suited us both best and I got everything ready for the ride. Unfortunately it was a day for failed tech for me, I’d foolishly just updated the maps on my sat nav which rendered it stuck in Demo mode. My handlebar camera (I found out later on my return) had a knackered memory card in it so no footage of the actual ride. Damn tech.
Anyway, I set off late (trying to get the FFFFFin’ sat nav working) but made up loads of time on the A38/M1 to get to Junction 18 (Crick) which would allow us to ride the A428 to Santa Pod. Got to the meet place just as Steve arrived had a quich catch up & away we went. Luckily, Steve had his phone linked to his headset and being on his CR took us on a rapid ride through the lanes with some excellent views & very little traffic, we seemed to reach Santa Pod very quickly not because of the speed or anything, it just seemd a very quick route, even Steve commented on this.
I’ve got to say, Santa Pod was heaving, the camping area was stuffed and we had to thread our bikes through throngs of people, it was more of a family day with stalls and lots of vintage drag cars & bikes both for show & competing. The vibe was as always freindly & after having a quick scout round the stalls, I had spied one of my all time favourites, The wall of death, no way I missing the opportunity to watch this again (last time was 12 years hence at The Cromford steam rally). This show is thrilling for a mere £3.00 & a voluntary donation afterwards towards their injury costs as they can’t get insurance obviously.
We had a tour round the vehicles & tents housing classic racers then went & parked our asses on the rock hard verge on the far side of the track. Earplugs would’ve been handy as some of the cars were FFFFin’ ear ringing, I could feel damage occurring. We witnessed some outrageous times ie 6.2 seconds for the ¼ mile which was faster than the jet engined vehicle that went up the track twice & was fairly unimpressive compared to some of the cars. It was impressive warming up though blasting flames under the gantry.
The day was getting hotter as was the competion, some poor guy got himself trapped between his bike & the concrete barriers which did nothing to inspire me to have another go, it didn’t look like much but concrete doesn’t give and he didn’t get up & was stretchered away. We took off for something eat as it put a stop to the event for a while. Luckily it was reported that he was ok but in hospital for Xrays.
After sitting in the shade scoffing noodles & drinking slushies, (god they worked well for keeping the temp down), it was by this time uncomfotably hot. We had another walk round the vehicle tents, surprisingly few bikers there (on their bikes) probably only 10 or so parked where we were.
I think it was at this point, the racing had started again, I was drinking gallons of tea hiding in the shade, when we heard an almighty screech & bang that shook where we stood, sounded like someone had gone sideways & smashed into the barriers in a car, which again put an end to proceedings for a while (and completely killed any enthusiasm I was harbouring about having another go).
Heartfelt respect here to Gus here, drag racing is a really dangerous sport if the slightest thing goes wrong. Hat’s of to you Gus, you’re a goddamn hero & deserve some serious acknowledgement for your continued efforts and very quick times. :worthy:
Anyway, we eventually walked down to the end of the track to watch the Semi’s and final. It’s pretty cool watching the starts but something else to watch the top speed finishes especially on these astonishingly quick races. The loudest thunder you’ve ever heard in your lives does not compare to the sound these things make at full belt, it is unbelievable.
Got to say, all in all, a really splendid day out & great riding the lanes with Steve again. Thanks for the invite buddy, hopefully we’ll get out again soon.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2022 09:46 

Sorry about the quality.

Attachments:
P1030474 (2).JPG
P1030474 (2).JPG [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 8949 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2022 19:16 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Santa Pod Dragstalgia 10 July
I was invited by Osteveo couple of days before to Ride down for this event. Having kind of committed to the 18th I wasn’t that interested at first but after about 2 hours thinking time thought why not.
So, we decided Sunday suited us both best and I got everything ready for the ride. Unfortunately it was a day for failed tech for me, I’d foolishly just updated the maps on my sat nav which rendered it stuck in Demo mode. My handlebar camera (I found out later on my return) had a knackered memory card in it so no footage of the actual ride. Damn tech.
Anyway, I set off late (trying to get the FFFFFin’ sat nav working) but made up loads of time on the A38/M1 to get to Junction 18 (Crick) which would allow us to ride the A428 to Santa Pod. Got to the meet place just as Steve arrived had a quich catch up & away we went. Luckily, Steve had his phone linked to his headset and being on his CR took us on a rapid ride through the lanes with some excellent views & very little traffic, we seemed to reach Santa Pod very quickly not because of the speed or anything, it just seemd a very quick route, even Steve commented on this.
I’ve got to say, Santa Pod was heaving, the camping area was stuffed and we had to thread our bikes through throngs of people, it was more of a family day with stalls and lots of vintage drag cars & bikes both for show & competing. The vibe was as always freindly & after having a quick scout round the stalls, I had spied one of my all time favourites, The wall of death, no way I missing the opportunity to watch this again (last time was 12 years hence at The Cromford steam rally). This show is thrilling for a mere £3.00 & a voluntary donation afterwards towards their injury costs as they can’t get insurance obviously.
We had a tour round the vehicles & tents housing classic racers then went & parked our asses on the rock hard verge on the far side of the track. Earplugs would’ve been handy as some of the cars were FFFFin’ ear ringing, I could feel damage occurring. We witnessed some outrageous times ie 6.2 seconds for the ¼ mile which was faster than the jet engined vehicle that went up the track twice & was fairly unimpressive compared to some of the cars. It was impressive warming up though blasting flames under the gantry.
The day was getting hotter as was the competion, some poor guy got himself trapped between his bike & the concrete barriers which did nothing to inspire me to have another go, it didn’t look like much but concrete doesn’t give and he didn’t get up & was stretchered away. We took off for something eat as it put a stop to the event for a while. Luckily it was reported that he was ok but in hospital for Xrays.
After sitting in the shade scoffing noodles & drinking slushies, (god they worked well for keeping the temp down), it was by this time uncomfotably hot. We had another walk round the vehicle tents, surprisingly few bikers there (on their bikes) probably only 10 or so parked where we were.
I think it was at this point, the racing had started again, I was drinking gallons of tea hiding in the shade, when we heard an almighty screech & bang that shook where we stood, sounded like someone had gone sideways & smashed into the barriers in a car, which again put an end to proceedings for a while (and completely killed any enthusiasm I was harbouring about having another go).
Heartfelt respect here to Gus here, drag racing is a really dangerous sport if the slightest thing goes wrong. Hat’s of to you Gus, you’re a goddamn hero & deserve some serious acknowledgement for your continued efforts and very quick times. :worthy:
Anyway, we eventually walked down to the end of the track to watch the Semi’s and final. It’s pretty cool watching the starts but something else to watch the top speed finishes especially on these astonishingly quick races. The loudest thunder you’ve ever heard in your lives does not compare to the sound these things make at full belt, it is unbelievable.
Got to say, all in all, a really splendid day out & great riding the lanes with Steve again. Thanks for the invite buddy, hopefully we’ll get out again soon.

:yup: ;)
Booked in for Saturday, looks like a very hot day ahead :sun: :ill:

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2022 19:37 

Current ride: X1 2001
https://tenor.com/bdxvw.gif

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2022 19:53 

lOl

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022 14:18 

How did Saturday go Gus?

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022 21:28 

Very hot very sweaty, morning was not too bad with a best run of 10.75@124mph, by afternoon my head began to fall off and started to make mistakes, I forgot to pull the air shifter safety pin out so made a great launch pushed the button and naff all happened except it hit the rev limiter :oooops:
Pulled a couple of big wheelies the last one came up so quickly the clocks hit my helmet, so I pretty much called it a day after that
As always there was a healthy mix of vehicles and not too busy and a great bunch of like minded people to chew the cud with.
August 13 is the next date :yup:

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022 23:15 

Excellent, sounds like a great day.
Is that a quicker time?
Bearing in mind we're talking 10ths & I know you're under 10 quite regularly.
Glad it went ok for you on the day, it was kind of guaranteed to be scorching with a nice sticky track for change. All the best. Paul

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2022 22:17 

Back at it on Saturday :sun: :sun: :sun: :ill: :ill: :ill:

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2022 07:49 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
:yt: just hope the strip don't melt .
enjoy :yup: and this time try and remember to pull the safety pin on air shifter before your run ;)

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2022 08:55 

barney wrote:
:yt: just hope the strip don't melt .
enjoy :yup: and this time try and remember to pull the safety pin on air shifter before your run ;)

:yup: :D

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2022 09:05 

Have a great day, hope you get plenty runs in with some cracking times. Tracks going to be very sticky so mind the front wheel & your chin. Enjoy the crack with the other speed freaks.
All the best. Paul

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2022 12:21 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Have a great day, hope you get plenty runs in with some cracking times. Tracks going to be very sticky so mind the front wheel & your chin. Enjoy the crack with the other speed freaks.
All the best. Paul

:D :yup:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 13 Next