It is currently 28 Mar 2024 09:03

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next
 Post subject: Re: Santa Pod drag strip
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2022 21:47 

Current ride: X1 2001
I had a feeling you would :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2022 12:17 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Good luck tomorrow.

PostPosted: 13 May 2023 19:30 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
Today was not a good day, it was cold and grey with the finest drizzle known to man until around midday, I trundled down to the startline after warming the engine up for a while and got in line,
I had the nitrous bottle warmer on all looking good so far, I switched the engine of for a bit while too many cars were getting let through first, finally we got the signal that we were to get ready, helmet and gloves on I hit the starter button clickety clickety fucking click.... seriously pissed off,
I made a half hearted attempt at bumping it with a little help but no way José, i pushed it over to the pits and managed to get a jump start and with a borrowed multi meter saw a charging voltage of 16.8v, around then I felt the battery which was by this time almost too hot to touch, before my eyes it started smoking and boiling the top popped off and I only just managed to get it off the bike before any terminal damage was caused.
Day over, I just checked it again after hooking up a spare van battery and checked again...... 15v and climbing I think I may have a regulator problem :x

PostPosted: 13 May 2023 21:11 
Site Admin

Said it before and I'll say it agian...can't understand why you have a charging system on a drag bike :?
Removing the stator and rotor means the engine will spool up faster, make more HP, less weight, etc.
Just take 2 well charged batteries with you, preferrably lithium as they weigh fuck all and have more cranking amps....and if it were me, I'd also remove the starter and use a remote item operated by a pit crew member !

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 13 May 2023 21:38 
Site Admin

....the Team Beggar race bike never had a charging system and it did laps, not just 1/4 mile :idea:
I know you have NOS solenoids a fuel pump and quick shifter ? but that and the ignition should easily last a weekend with enough starts on a single well charged battery :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 14 May 2023 05:53 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
:yt:
even IOM TT they tend to use a small battery just to power ignition , fuel pump .
as :maz: said , it's all about power to weight and why carry around a big heavy battery and a charging system that loads the engine and reduces you of power to move forward :roll:

PostPosted: 14 May 2023 12:30 

I was using a lithium battery that was the problem once they start to go wrong they go big time, ask some of those Tesla owners, remote starter isn't an option as I am on my own 99.9% of the time and when I fit my spare engine it has the rotor and alternator coils removed.
Just one of those things I suppose
Onwards and upwards ;)

PostPosted: 14 May 2023 20:39 

gusm2 wrote:
I was using a lithium battery that was the problem once they start to go wrong they go big time

I watched a program about solar panels the other day, and because the buyback tariff from elec company’s is now so poor, they are now installing big tesla batteries in your loft /garage to charge up during the daytime ready for you to use at night time.
Be interesting to know if the house insurance cost have gone up ,once you tell them

PostPosted: 15 May 2023 12:13 

gusm2 wrote:
I was using a lithium battery that was the problem once they start to go wrong they go big time, ask some of those Tesla owners, remote starter isn't an option as I am on my own 99.9% of the time and when I fit my spare engine it has the rotor and alternator coils removed.
Just one of those things I suppose
Onwards and upwards ;)

I'm not sure blaming the lithium battery is the right idea. If your alternator/regulator was pumping out 16.8 volts it would fry any 12 volt battery. The weight saving alone is worth using one.

PostPosted: 15 May 2023 16:48 

I have a new one on its way mate :yup:

PostPosted: 15 May 2023 17:37 

gusm2 wrote:
I have a new one on its way mate :yup:

When are you down at Santa Pod next? I might be able to come down & give you some well earned support. Have you still got tea facilities in your van?

PostPosted: 15 May 2023 18:36 

Back on the 10th of June hopefully 🤞🏻 alas no real facilities in the new van yet, work in progress ;)

Attachments:
DSC_1921~2.JPG
DSC_1921~2.JPG [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 7950 times ]

PostPosted: 15 May 2023 19:16 

Sorry Gordon that's my birthday, maybe the next one.
Nice van though and bike looks the business as usual.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2023 11:21 

Here's my time slip from yesterday, it's all fairly explanatory but I'll go through it for those who might be interested or unfamiliar with how drag racing works,
The first column R.T is reaction time that is how long it takes me to break the beam which starts the clock after the green light comes on, this only plays a part when you are racing someone else rather than what I do in rwyb which is basically trying to beat my last best time.
After that the next Columns show 60 foot time, 330', 1/8th (half track) time and speed
The 1000 foot marker is what top fuel and nitro funny cars run to as going the full quarter was considered to be too fast also they need the extra 320 feet to slow down, just for reference Ida Zetterstrom ran a 3.77@321mph over 1000' :shock:
Finally the full quarter time and speed
My first run was a solo and basically just getting the engine warmed up and making sure everything(ish) was working as it should, second was a petrol only then the third was with NOS then pretty much consistent until the gas bottle ran out after run 8, I was going to jack in after that as it was so hot and I was feeling pretty knackered, however it was only just after 2pm and I had paid until 4.30
I got the bottle filled at the Pod shop for a very reasonable £26.00 and made a few more runs and am so glad I did seeing as the last one was a 10.52 bettering my previous 10.55.
The last column is when racing against an opponent and isn't really applicable to what I'm doing, the last bike that pulled along side of me was one of the really fast guys who normally runs low 8's on a turbo'ed busa but this time on a mini pit bike thing, I put him out of my mind and got down to business and it felt good, I thought I can't do anymore than that so drove back to the pits and got out of my soaking wet leathers, I was so happy when I collected this last timing slip.

Attachments:
DSC_1966.JPG
DSC_1966.JPG [ 2.7 MiB | Viewed 7900 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2023 16:14 

:yup:
interestingly the 15:37 run you were quicker of the mark upto the 330' were as the 16:08 run it was the second half that you got hooked up and best time :dance:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13 Next