It is currently 29 Mar 2024 13:14

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 513 Next
 Post subject: Re: Santa Pod drag strip
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2019 21:44 

Current ride: X1 2001
:hehe: :hehe:

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019 10:21 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Adam wrote:
I'd consider the option of lowering your gearing for 1/4 mile drags very carefully. I've only sprinted my Duc 1198 at Ramsey which is 1/8 mile and used 2nd gear as it was quicker than starting in 1st and changing gear. Over a1/4 mile you may be changing gear more often, and loose time doing so. I'm no expert in this, but when I raced pre '65 stuff, everyone used 2nd gear to start and kept the engine in the max torque area by slipping the clutch. The 1125 has a very flat torque 'curve' so you may not gain much and risk looping the bike. Gus is the man to give advice about suitable gearing.

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the advice.
I've been reading about Buell gearing, not as easy as it sounds even with all the Cr parts.
A lot more to consider re constant belt tension, ECM etc. So beginning to think I'll abandon that project & just focus on the ECM any other bolt on aids & my look hard at my very crap Technique.
The 1125r runs really well on the road at the moment (which I'm very loathe to f**k up) and although not fast on the drag strip, I'm asking myself if it's worth the trouble when technique would probably gain me something anyway.
I definitely revved too high through the 3 gears on the first run, tried to do it less on the 2nd & still failed although ran 3mph faster by getting it into 4th. Starting in 2nd like you said would give me more time to think & allow me to focus on what I'm doing rather than just getting the hammer down to the limit.
My 1125r doesn't start shifting till it hits 4th so my next run will be with the idea of getting into 4th from 8000 in the other gears instead of 10,500 which only allowed me to get to 3rd.
We'll see, but would like to get another few runs in as I only got 3 done on the day I went and so never really got a chance to look at my technique till afterwards. I found it was really easy to think what I was going to do but sticking to it was very difficult as my bottle was clanking & arse was clenching a bit too much to do anything but give it some & hang on and watch the bike next to me hairing up the track seconds in front of me.
Hopefully next time (not being a total rookie) I may do better, who knows.

Got my new Oberon clutch slave unit today which will help, Velo stacks due later this week which will should bring the power into a more use-able region of the gearing that I can use next time.

Forgot to say also that when I left Santa Pod straight after my last run, it was only when I reached Leicester Forest services that another biker told me I still had the Santa Pod number covering my number plate. Sixty miles or so, really lucky I didn't get nicked.
Thanks for the advice Adam.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019 13:26 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
"Forgot to say also that when I left Santa Pod straight after my last run, it was only when I reached Leicester Forest services that another biker told me I still had the Santa Pod number covering my number plate. Sixty miles or so, really lucky I didn't get nicked."
Poser :ner:
with all the police cut’s very rare to see any traffic police now , until an accident then they all turn up on mass , as for number plates lots of HGV’s from the emerald isle don’t bother with a rear plate on the trailer saves on motorway speed camera fines so i'm told :couch:

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019 19:24 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Oh and yes JB, still up for a NMM revisit ,weather dependant of course. ............. but please don't go all star struck this time when you meet Henry Cole...v embarrassing :D

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019 20:31 

Hi Steve,
I actually watched some of Henry Cole's trips round the USA, Austria & one or two other places. I enjoyed them to be honest, but star struck I doubt.

Got these today.

Attachments:
Velo clutch.jpg
Velo clutch.jpg [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 8232 times ]

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2019 20:52 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Hi Steve,
I actually watched some of Henry Cole's trips round the USA, Austria & one or two other places. I enjoyed them to be honest, but star struck I doubt.

Got these today.

Look good...be interested to hear the results of fitting these. Maybe a good idea to drop the CR gearing work. It seems a lot of faffing around if a change of technique on the strip could maybe yield the same results. I will let you have first dibs on my CR if I chose to sell ....that way you get to live the ultimate 1125 dream without the all the work : :D
Given the lack of any other motorcycle programmes on the box, I too have been watching H Cole shows and if you take him for what he is they are a pleasant way of killing an hour. He does at least have a go and the subjects he presents are diverse up to a point and entertaining. Fuck it, now I sound star struck.... :rotfl:

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2019 22:02 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Hi Steve,

Got these today.

Look good...be interested to hear the results of fitting these. Maybe a good idea to drop the CR gearing work. It seems a lot of faffing around if a change of technique on the strip could maybe yield the same results. I will let you have first dibs on my CR if I chose to sell ....that way you get to live the ultimate 1125 dream without the all the work : :D
Given the lack of any other motorcycle programmes on the box, I too have been watching H Cole shows and if you take him for what he is they are a pleasant way of killing an hour. He does at least have a go and the subjects he presents are diverse up to a point and entertaining. Fuck it, now I sound star struck.... :rotfl:

Yeah I'll get on with fitting them at some point and let you know, really hoping the stacks do what I think they will. Clutch feels ok anyway but leaks a fair bit, doesn't seem to lose much fluid but manages to splatter all over the f****n exhaust every time I go out now.
Both R's & CR's becoming very rare now, did you watch the video link to youtube littlebutquick's drag run? That was an R without CR gearing. Seemingly just ECM, Exhaust & airshifter??? I think that was pretty ultimate, wonder what it ran like on the road?
Just bought a BMW R1100r to work on over winter, Jesus it's f****n' ugly. Hopefully it'll stop me F****n' around with my 1125r as much.
Don't worry buddy I'll stop you asking Henry for his autograph.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2019 22:52 

An R1100R....? Probably not the first time you've been hanging around a naked boxer :rotfl:
Remember.....Pics of the bike.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2019 07:41 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Hi Steve,

Got these today.

Yeah I'll get on with fitting them at some point and let you know, really hoping the stacks do what I think they will. Clutch feels ok anyway but leaks a fair bit, doesn't seem to lose much fluid but manages to splatter all over the f****n exhaust every time I go out now.
Both R's & CR's becoming very rare now, did you watch the video link to youtube littlebutquick's drag run? That was an R without CR gearing. Seemingly just ECM, Exhaust & airshifter??? I think that was pretty ultimate, wonder what it ran like on the road?
Just bought a BMW R1100r to work on over winter, Jesus it's f****n' ugly. Hopefully it'll stop me F****n' around with my 1125r as much.

Joe's 1125 had quite a bit of engine work over at Twin Motorcycles...... before it went bang on their Dyno...... quite spectacularly I believe, he's now convered and running an ex BSB BMW 1000rr

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2019 10:50 

gusm2 wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Hi Steve,

Got these today.

Joe's 1125 had quite a bit of engine work over at Twin Motorcycles...... before it went bang on their Dyno...... quite spectacularly I believe, he's now convered and running an ex BSB BMW 1000rr

Thanks for the information Gus. It was a very quick 1125r.
Having had a go I've found it really does have quite a hook.
Thanks for your advice & support.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2019 15:42 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
I had planned on going down for tomorrows event but the weather forecast looks shite, hopefully next weekend will be better.
Got back from US on Wednesday afternoon and I'm still walking in circles with jetlag 🥴

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2019 16:02 

Hopefully these will help next time.
Haven't run them yet, I'll let you know if they do what I'm hoping, or not.
Busy working on the Boxer twin at the moment.

Attachments:
Velo stacks.jpg
Velo stacks.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 8128 times ]

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2019 23:55 

Jazzbutcher wrote:

Look at those babies!
Be interested to see what difference you see....can't believe you didn't take it out immediately.. :D

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019 00:42 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

Look at those babies!
Be interested to see what difference you see....can't believe you didn't take it out immediately.. :D

Boxer makes things a bit more difficult, it's about ten yards wide & six yards high & really difficult to move around in a small space as it's extremely top heavy. Like I said I'm working on that mainly at the moment so need to get round both sides, which leaves very little room to squeeze the 1125r out & back in without catching one of those f****n' massive horizontal cylinders.
Just put the Velo stacks on the 1125r for a bit of a change from doing that Fugly thing.
Soon as there's a half decent day I'll give it a good blast & see how they work.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019 12:06 

Hi Folks,
Took the 1125r for a spin to check out the velocity stacks.
They work in two ways I can see after this initial ride.
Firstly, they improve torque throughout the range & remove all the steps in throttle response.
Secondly the torque range has moved down the rev band & starts coming in properly at around 3,500 - 4,000 peaking at around 8,500 - 9,000 ish then tails off, which is more or less what I was hoping for.
Very happy with the inlet now.
Exhaust next.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 513 Next