It is currently 20 Apr 2024 01:20

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Motor hub Bibury
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022 19:10 

Current ride: XB9SX
Could have had Henry’s autograph at the bike show a few years ago, but for some reason we were distracted and passed him by. lOl Now Allen Milliard and one of his home brewed bikes might stop me in my tracks! :yup:

PostPosted: 08 May 2022 08:43 

Current ride: XB9SX
Wow! What a day yesterday and timed with brilliant weather! The barometer was around 1026mb in the Cotswolds with clear blue skies. Perfect Buelling conditions.:sun:

I was late as usual and having fed both my cat and the neighbours I had forgot to feed myself breakfast. By the time I had topped up with V-Power and escaped the traffic around Cheltenham it was around 11:20. :roll: Still Bibury is only 33 miles away so I got there before midday at mostly legal speeds still warming the motor.
I need not have worried about a QR code on the gate as I seem to be the last to arrive. They took one look at the XB, which turned out to be the only one there, and waved me straight in directing me to a gap in the row nearest the front sheds. ;)
In desperation I walked straight to the nearest bar for coffee and cake. Then who should walk up behind me in the queue, but Allan Milliyard who had ridden his Kwak 500-4 LC with a friend riding the 666-5 KH400.
Someone told me Allan is a bit shy, but get him on his subject and he’s away, modest and refreshingly down to Earth. ;) I think I spotted Henry later, but missed him for some reason! lOl

The range of interesting bikes was impressive (sorry no pictures yet :oooops: ). I was able to reminisce about my past bikes seeing a not quite mint CB175 K4, a near mint CB250RSA, and no less than three Yam TR1’s. :old: There were a couple of CCM Spitfires, which look impressive in the flesh, and two XR1000 Harley’s with an XLCH Cafe Racer. Too many others to list really and a whole Italian section with old and new Ducati’s, Laverda’s, Morini’s and several newer MVs.

The sun got hot and in the next queue for ‘Hub Grub’ the top of my balding head was burning. lOl No room on board for my straw hat. I later met an old friend and finally caught up with Jazzbutcher and crew. After a while we left and I joined Jazz and his friends in the short hop north to visit the newish biker store/cafe ‘Koti Autotalli’ near Chipping Camden. Really good coffee and a chilled out setting with sofas to sit on. 8-)

We split the scene at around 4pm and while the gang made their way north, I made the short hop home. The XB was fuelling very well by then with a healthy bark from the ‘muffler’ with each twist of the throttle! Yes later on at home the top of my head was itching slightly, but I can recommend Alo Forever ‘Alo Gel’ to cure it! lOl

PostPosted: 08 May 2022 21:29 

Current ride: X1 2001
Nice write up Edd
sounds like a good day :yup:

PostPosted: 09 May 2022 00:20 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Classic Motor Hub ride it day 7th May Ablingdon Gloucestershire.
God, it rained the evening before and was still damp/wet in places in the morning. Set off at 8 Am from Matlock to get to a “little tiddly village on the outskirts of Rugby” to pick up Osteveo & his friend Mick. Great ride down to them although was mainly on the M1 but fast enough as there was little traffic. Only one wrong turn which took me on the road to Daventry for a couple of miles but one phone call later I was on track again and ended up getting there on time. Osteveo & Mick were stood in the road waiting which was great as I ended up coming down the road in the opposite direction to how I’d expected because of the wrong turn. After a quick catch up Steve pulled his Yam XT 500 onto the road & Mick started his Bonnie (2009) & we set off to the event.
Nice ride down although Mick bless him, wasn’t the fastest rider around (by his own admission & he was correct)& Steve was hampered by his tiddly little engine, still when Steve got to the front it was faster. I was hampered by no sat nav & little idea of where we were headed so stayed between them for the duration.
The weather had picked up, roads were dry & we did around sixty most of the way which made my arms ache as there was little wind resistance to keep the weight off my wrists. Funnily enough because of the steady pace, it was surprisingly awesome to be honest as I could look around, wave to oncoming bikes & enjoy the ride without having to keep totally focussed on riding & safety which goes along with my usual style of riding.
So anyway we got there 10.15? & it was totally rammed with bikes, many hundreds of them. Steve & Mick got ushered through to the back ha ha & the guy told me to park mine at the front in with a line of Ducatis & other luxurious bikes (Steward must’ve had some taste). I was immediately greeted by some guy claiming to have an 1190 but hadn’t come on it, so I left him & skipped round the back to find Steve & Mick to be greeted with another 5/6/7 rows of bikes about 60/70/80 in orderly rows and an MV Augusta/ Laverda/Moto Guzzi & some other Italian stuff which were obviously well attended Club Stands in a square off the main thoroughfares. We had a quick look round the rear & front then grabbed a coffee & leisurely walked down the various rows out front through the club stands & back to the rear.
Edd mentioned nostalgia, yep without doubt although my leanings were towards the trio of Norton Commando’s, a 72 750 roadster & two 850 interstates, couple of T150 Tridents with ray guns on, one of which had a top box? No T160’s or Rocket 3’s which was a surprise to me. What got me most though, was how struck I was by the Yam Lc 350s rd 400s of which there were loads. I remember watching those buggers wheelie away from the lights in first second & third. My T160 at the that time was so heavy I needed a crane to lift the front end, same with my Commando the RD 400s used to rip the crap out of it for the first half mile & I’ve got to admit to having some respect for the pilots as I’ve never really had the makings of a wheelie man.
Anyway as I was busy in my head on that trip, & also thin king about kettles of which there were one or two, I caught sight of Osteveo coveting an FS1E dx (that’s a fizzy with disc) & I’m also pretty sure the guy in the sheepskin jacket perusing a Raleigh Runabout was a certain TV star that Steve was hassling for a photo & autograph. So I rescued the TV star & Mick who looked bored and we went for some food.
Great sausage bap & coke for a mere £5 which I didn’t think was bad at an event, some chat & laughs as we sat eating. Then we went to peruse the classic car garage as lots of bikes had been leaving during our eating, The Norton 750 sounded sweet. My phone rang as we were perusing the luxury half million + cars & it was Edd who was seated about 20 yards away & had parked his XB 900 right beside mine. I also noticed at that point he’s rung twice before & left a message, sorry Edd. Anyway we introduced ourselves & decided to run up to a pretty cool cafe near Chipping Camden, a very pretty Cotswold village with various viewpoints as you approached it, (told my wife about it & she informed me we’d been before) bloody memory! The cafe itself was on an industrial estate, sold t shirts, I think also did some customising work, sounds crap but it wasn’t at all, it also meant posers could show off & burn out without disturbing anyone, great coffee to boot and all overlooking a sunny vineyard which looked awesome with the sun behind it.
Edd went his way & we went ours, I was quite happy on the way back to sit between Steve leading & Mick behind as I’d enjoyed it on the way down & Steve was a little faster. Steve thankfully dropped me back off at the M1 & I probably have a ticket coming as I could finally open the throttle, although always keeping a faster car on my outside as a cover which is par for the course and sometimes can be contested in court.
My sat nav is being delivered tomorrow god bless technology.
Great day out, nice to meet up with Steve again & his fiend Mick & finally meet Edd. Nice one for making the effort Edd.
Recommended day out. :yup: Sorry no pics.

PostPosted: 09 May 2022 19:28 

Current ride: X1 2001
:mrgreen: another good write up :worthy: thanks JB :yup: