It is currently 01 Oct 2024 00:42

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011 10:28 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
supremesoundz wrote:
It's normally open they've just disconnected it to get it going but it throws up the check light now? So maybe ECM spy could disable it?

Yeah man - http://www.ecmspy.com/cgi-bin/detail.cg ... ffset=1210

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011 01:30 
its off back to plym hd tomorrow for the new switch under warrenty though its still missing even with the switch disconnected so summat must still be a drift, dunno where my other post about this went :? but they now want to put my standard pipe and air filter on it as they believe thats causing the missing as its to lean......though it could just be a fouled plug? or maybe needs the earth sorting out as i read this can cause bad running to? bet they dont refit mt exhaust under warrenty

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011 11:12 

At least they're working with you about the non-standard exhaust/filter. The guy's at Edinburgh HD said they couldn't do warranty work with non-standard exhausts on. I mean, they fixed my wheel bearings with a different exhaust on but they said if there is any possibility of a link between the problem and the exhaust then it could cos trouble for the warranty.

Understandable from their POV - they've got book times they get paid for etc. The dealer is (in most cases) a business and not Buell enthusiasts willing to spend unpaid time sorting things out.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011 12:36 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
supremesoundz wrote:
they believe thats causing the missing as its to lean

This is in fact impossible with a stock ECM, unless you manage to get at least 1.5 times more air into the engine. At this point the injectors will not deliver enough fuel any more. No third party exhaust will ever achieve this.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011 13:47 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Gunter is right, the rough running you are experiencing (and I have not ridden the bike, so this is an assumption) is not the engine running lean per se, cos you are experiencing this at part throttle (are you not?) rather than wide open throttle.

At part throttle, the engine is in closed loop control, so it runs to 14.7:1 AFR. This is not lean, this is stoichiometric.

The closed loop control is the final correction applied to the map. The weakest part of the control of fuel delivery is the use of the Throttle Position Sensor to measure air flow.

The bigger the error in TPS to airflow relationship (either by a badly calibrated TPS or a change to caused by an exhaust), the bigger the correction that is made by the closed loop control. The problem being that the bigger the correction, the less stable fuel flow as the control is bouncing around to give an average of 14.7:1.

One way around this is to disconnect the O2 sensor so there is no closed loop control, but then there would be no safeguard against running lean without the required ignition timing advance, which could cause temperature problems...

Some "tuners" will set the whole map to 12.5:1 and disconnect the O2 sensor. The bike will run smooth and make max power at wide open throttle, but result in 20% less MPG at part throttle compared to the closed loop at 14.7:1.

Anyway, I am waffling, suffice to say that the bike can't run lean with the O2 sensor working properly, the roughness is the instability during fuelling correction due to either a dodgy sensor (usually TPS) or a change to the assumptions made for airflow (as a function of TPS).

One further comment to make is that the airflow on the front cylinder is an assumption based on the rear. This normally holds true regardless of the muffler fitted. If you change the header lengths (as per Micron, Aero 45s, Ti Force) it no longer holds true.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011 19:21 
phewwwwww that was blowing my mind :ill: lol

any ways the bike has gone back today and lets c what they say it went and so did the standard exhaust and filter the guy said we will try and get it running propperly with yours on but if we cant it will have to stay standard grrrr i sed well it was fine for the last 4000 miles whats changes summat must be abrubt, they said lets see what we find, i mentioned that it always cranked slow and about the earthing problem i saw when using the search on here, and also mentioned it did this last feb with 1100 miles and the standard kit also just after a service odd

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011 16:24 
the latest from plym hd today is side stand switch fitted, new plugs fitted still coughs and bangs, so now they beleive its a temp sensor, so have ordered a new one :?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011 18:09 
I'd rather race a Honda 90

Attachments:
carb.jpg
carb.jpg [ 5.18 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011 23:14 
I often think the same can it be done lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk