It is currently 28 Sep 2024 00:19

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009 20:14 
simba wrote:
I think I've decided to go far a manual switch, mounted on the RH controls so that I can use my judgement to control the fan. When I'm blasting along, it'll be off, when I come into traffic, I'll switch it on and leave it on. Hopefully I can then get the best of both ECU (old and new) set ups.

I'd like to know how you get on with that. I'd rather have it working without having to mess about cause I can see that getting tedious.

simba wrote:
There's something else you might want to check too. I bumped into a bloke recently at a popular local bike meeting spot who'd had similar problems to you with his XB. He solved the problem by replacing the HT leads with some good aftermarket jobs. The originals had just deteriorated with the heat from the engine

Mmmm there's something I didn't think about! Where would I get those? Are they bike specific - I suppose they are? One last thing, Because my exhaust is physically bigger and it seems to run hotter I wonder if it's my exhaust causing the problem? But if it's the heat then what is it effecting - what part I mean?

By the way, does anyone know what HD would have done to my bike on it's 1st free service?

Last edited by ph4824 on 28 Nov 2009 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009 20:24 
By the way, does anyone know what HD would have done to my bike on it's 1st free service?[/quote]

Have a look at your manual - useless you use a independant :!:

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009 20:34 
mcrbuelligan wrote:
Have a look at your manual - useless you use a independant :!:

Thanks. The manual is not that specific but it does say check electrical equipment and exhaust system & mounting.

When this happened at first I thought HD must have removed my front header pipe in order to check something in the engine at 1st service because the header pipe has to be removed in order to remove black plastic panel just above front header pipe. This cover can be removed without removing the stock headers because there is clearance. But with my Free spirits headers there is no clearance!

HD told me they did not touch my exhaust. Maybe coincidence then?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009 21:05 
MC wrote:
This is the first time I have used this site, so will give you a brief history: I have a 2 year old Ully which has never run right since new, and warranty has now expired ! It has had numerous visits back to dealer (who in fairness have been very helpful) and have had fitted bigger headers, Remus silencer, K & N filter, oil catchment tank and pro-fueller.
The bike has finally been running reasonably ok, but on its last visit back to dealer to clear up some warranty faults (inc. aux sockets not working which never have from new) this was connected to the ECU so hence a new ECU was fitted and a new download was available, which was suggested from the dealer that this would sort out all other running issues :) but.... after taking delivery of the bike and test-riding it, once reaching "running" temperature the fan seems to stay permanently on (even with an evening temp of 7C) and only stopping as you pull up in traffic which is when the fan would probably be on, on the hottest day in summer?! Once you pull away fan is on again by the time I reach 2nd gear yet doesnt run when the bike is stopped like it used to. HD say this is how its supposed to be to protect the engine, is this correct? Fan does not even come on if left ticking over for 10mins when engine is hot and then turned off like it used to. I cant ride this with the fan on all the time it will send me crazy!!! This is winter, whats it going to be like in summer. Anybody got any ideas?

mc :headbang:
p.s. Bike runs like s**t again, shall I suggest putting the old download back?

Go back to the dealer and tell them to put it back the way it was or its court action for them. Get a lawer to write to them as well.

Last edited by THE FLYING DUCHMAN on 29 Nov 2009 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009 21:47 
THE FLYING DUCHMAN wrote:
Go back to the dealer and tell them to put it back the way it was or its court action for them. Get a lawer to right to them as well.

If the Buell ECU update is irreversible then what can the HD do? Can't see threatening like that will solve anything except put their backs up and then you get nowhere?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009 22:02 
Site Admin

Quote:
Post subject: Re: Comments on How To - CHANGING HEADERS XB 12Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:08 pm

Site Admin

Location: Manchester So, you've done this job once......care to guess how many dozens of times I've done it ??
Everything I've listed above will add another 10 minutes to the job but will ensure that nothing gets damaged.
I will watch/wait for your posts of future issues you may have with your bike

:twisted:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009 22:15 
I dont get that :maz: is it a private thing or can others join in or iam missing the point as usual :?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009 22:23 
Site Admin

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=864&start=15

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009 22:25 

Hi all,

CJ, this is a different download to the one you had last time, I will go through this when I see you next.

Simba, I would imagine if you put a switch in the circuit you will have to live with the resultant engine check light/code that will arise every time you use it.

I must admit, I only really hear the fan through suburban areas, when i'm doing 70mph etc, I can't hear the fan anyway?.....
The ECU dose continues to receive input from the engine temp and o2 sensor, the idea that it's just down to speed would be incorrect.
Hence you won't hear the fan on warm up (open loop) while riding over 15/18mph.

There are other factors which make the 2010 bike smoother, the o2 sensor on the front header being just one.

I always try to go through the consequences of doing this download with owners, but the first time I did this download was on MC's machine, I knew from digitech that it was different to what I was expecting, but in which way different, was not apparent until I took the bike up the road. This is often the way, when downloads change. It wasn't until riding my first 2010 XB that I realised why they had done this, as they are the same, re- the fan, from the crate.

Sorry for my use of the words "het up", it is an emotive term, I realise that to some people, they are really are unhappy by the changes.

Hope this explains a bit more.

Regards, Jon

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009 10:20 
Maz is a twat as usual with his sniping comments and gloats in his own glory! And you are wrong Maz! I had my headers changed by someone else who has done it all before many times and I was there and saw everything! I only made it sound like it was me that changed the headers cause this well known respected person on this site asked me not to be mentioned it and make it sound like I did it which I did out of respect! There you go truths out and Maz is wrong!!!

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009 10:25 
This is what Maz (the prick) is on about... My exhaust was changed and Maz thinks it was poorly fitted. If that was the case I would of had problem from the start which I didn't, only after a HD service did I have problems!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=420

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009 11:41 
Site Admin

You seem to think I have a problem with you personally.......dont flatter yourself :roll:
I couldn't give a shit who did the work, if it was done as you described, then that's almost certainly why you're having problems now.

.....oh, give it a rest with the childish name calling, there's a good boy :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009 12:16 

Current ride: CZ 350!
Harry Hill knows how to settle this one...................... :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009 12:17 

Current ride: CZ 350!
Handbags ready................................. :dummy:

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009 12:22 
DrBuella wrote:
Handbags ready................................. :dummy:

I reckon we should have a Handbags at Dawn smilie :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next