It is currently 22 Sep 2024 16:37

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2016 12:37 

Current ride: 04 XB9R Firebolt
Got my renewal notice from MCE the other day, but no offer of a renewal price just an email saying its due get in touch for a quote, bit weird i thought.

So im sat at work doing jack so went on the site got a quote £124, fully comp, 3 years ncb, 3 points to claims all declared. Thats a decent price me thinks.

Just for a giggle i went on comparison sites, still doing jack at this point, and low and behold all the same stuff declared etc etc etc, Bennetts £92! Very happy boy! Woohoo haha

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2016 21:27 

Current ride: CZ 350!
I picked up 3 points last year. When my renewal came up I contacted them to tell them about the points. "oh let me just check the figure with the points added.............er that will be an additional £45 quid sir"
"OK I won't bother renewing it then" I said. "alright then Sir, we will just leave it till it expires on your current certificate, thanks for your custom"

I put the phone down and went to get a quote from a comparison site (with points added),

and the cheapest quote was..............the exact same company and actually cheaper than I paid the previous year by £10!! Tossers

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016 06:27 

Current ride: ktm 950 sm
I think its the only joy of the ageing process... :old:

A nice soft postcode helps aswel i rekon..

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016 08:39 
Also your profession has an impact on the premium. I'm a driving instructor and 56 years young. So cheap car and bike insurance for me. On Money saving expert there are lists of comparable jobs with different insurance brackets. I pay £82 for my Cyclone and R1150RT each fully comp 2 years ncb and £106 for my Elise full ncb fully comp. Bennet's for the bikes and Adrian Flux for Lotus. Decent security can help too. :old:

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016 09:08 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
I was having this conversation with a customer only recently... he travels about fixing computers, so he's a 'travelling engineer', not favoured by insurers, doubtless partly due to increased exposure to risk by being on the road all day as opposed to being behind a desk.
But, as he's self employed and trades as a Ltd Co, he got a comparison quote as a 'company director' (totally meaningless phrase :roll: ) ...and thereby halved his premium.
Moral of the tale is: Choose your hat wisely.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016 09:18 

i remember having a car covered by direct line and at the time they had an advert running about quotes going up in price even though you hadn't moved, basically slagging off the competition.
My quote renewal came, nothing had changed from the previous year, but it had gone up around £30.
I rang them up, i even quoted the add, the guy down the phone did not see the humour, all he came back was that my postcode had been re-evaluated and gone up.
I ring round and, oh yes, got a plenty cheaper quote elsewhere.
In my opinion and I've been on the road for nearly 30 years insurance companies will chance their arm every single time you're up for renewal unless you challenge, they'll bang a price increase cos they are basically robbing thieving scum bag shit bags.
I only insure my cars and bikes cos im shit scared i get pulled and the fine out-weights the cost of the insurance.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016 12:31 

elsieem wrote:
i remember having a car covered by direct line and at the time they had an advert running about quotes going up in price even though you hadn't moved, basically slagging off the competition.
My quote renewal came, nothing had changed from the previous year, but it had gone up around £30.
I rang them up, i even quoted the add, the guy down the phone did not see the humour, all he came back was that my postcode had been re-evaluated and gone up.
I ring round and, oh yes, got a plenty cheaper quote elsewhere.
In my opinion and I've been on the road for nearly 30 years insurance companies will chance their arm every single time you're up for renewal unless you challenge, they'll bang a price increase cos they are basically robbing thieving scum bag shit bags.
I only insure my cars and bikes cos im shit scared i get pulled and the fine out-weights the cost of the insurance.

:yt:

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016 13:24 

Current ride: Buell XB12
Don`t forget the wonderful HMRC raised the tax from 6% to 9.5% in November of last year :evil:
The Govt. want it to come in line with VAT, so it will be going up to 20% in the coming years.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016 14:19 

what are others paying to insure their trusty 2 wheelers?

this time last year I had a tl1000s and was paying £256, the year before i was on GSX1400 paying £188 and couple years before a z1000 and was paying around the same.

On a side note when i first passed my driving licence in 1987 i got a S reg mark 1 cavalier 1600, TPFT cost £87 for the year and i thought i was getting me bum raped!! :P

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016 14:53 

Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
I'm back in the saddle this year after an extended withdrawal (had a couple of children), my quotes blew me away - I expected to be paying so much more for the bike.
no no-claims bonus (been of the road too long)
97 M2
no alarms/ security device recognised by the insurance company
48 years old (me)
Suffolk (but Essex postcode)
Fully comp - £92
F+T - £78
last time I insured the bike it came in over £400
Life is good :D

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016 20:35 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
Just renewed my car insurance. Shopped around and saved 40% on renewal quote :yup:

They are without doubt complete chancers and will tuck you up as soon as look at you ;)

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler