It is currently 28 Mar 2024 17:47

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thinking of Sinking!?
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2016 12:55 

Current ride: XB9SX
Maybe just to prove to myself that I'm not a total NOX head lOl , I was thinking of ways to enhance the XBs oil cooler. I read somewhere that later models have a deeper cooler with an extra row of finning, but I wanted a cheap and novel way of enhancement. I considered adding an electric fan, but that could add more problems than it solved. Besides, we want free energy solutions! ;)

Then looking at the front of the cooler stuck out in the breeze, I realised that there is around 9.5 sq inches of flat metal doing little or nothing. From the field of cooling electrical circuits in amplifiers I started to look at aluminium heat sinks and wondered what could be added to the flat face of the XB cooler. The front plate is about 27mm wide, but has a stepped section so any individual radiator component can only be about 50mm in length so cheap one piece rails were out. Fortunately I found a number of 25 x 50 x 10mm aluminium sinks in anodised black on Amazon, which would fit nicely and look smart.

These heat sinks have 64 individual fins providing a surface area of 89cm2 for a footprint of 12.5cm2, which is a 7 fold increase in area. The cooler face will take 3 of these items giving approx. 35 sq inches of additional radiator surface. The important thing to remember is to bond the sinks to the oil cooler with thermally conductive compound, or they will have the opposite effect! :old: Take heed as the sinks came in a box with what I believe was the wrong kind of 3M double sided tape inside. :roll:

Another issue to watch out for is the sharp edges of the radiator fins whilst cleaning. It's too early to tell yet how well this mod is working, but logically it should add to cooling? ;)

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2016 13:18 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
I think you need a bigger project, you're now looking at non existent problems. Before you say anything, I had an XB in Qatar for 8 years, commuting and on the track, and despite 40 deg C temperatures the standard cooler seemed to work fine lOl The only thing that needed more cooling was me :!:

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2016 13:24 

You are right of course.........but I seem to have been caught in slow moving traffic once too often lately.........and sharing these thoughts unblocks the thinking process? lOl

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2016 13:28 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
edd wrote:
You are right of course.........but I seem to have been caught in slow moving traffic once too often lately.........and sharing these thoughts unblocks the thinking process? lOl

All you need is a RH scoop, and old ECU mapping lOl

PostPosted: 17 May 2021 12:15 

Rummaging around in my dad’s workshop I found a spare heatsink from one of his old computers. I thought that this heatsink could be cut down to fit under the left bottom rail of my 06 XB swingarm nearest to the oil tank. The sink is already silver grey alloy finish so is already a good match. :idea:

Looking again at the thermal bonding cements to hold it in place, I realise that my first experiment with the 3 heatsinks on the front of the oil cooler was not very scientific. I doubt if the thermal limitations of the bonding medium I previously used was suitable. This being the case then I now have serious doubts that the sinks on the oil cooler were working at all! :roll:

For my next experiment l have ordered a carbon based cement with at least 4 times the energy transfer capacity to refit the existing as well as the new. I may even rub the paint off the lower swing arm to improve the bond as the paint there is becoming a bit flaky anyway. ;)

.....and yes a bigger right hand scoop is also planned at some stage.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021 13:40 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
Yet another interesting thread - you really are a clever bunch of buggers :D

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 17 May 2021 14:07 

Just ride only when it rains? :idea:

PostPosted: 17 May 2021 19:59 

t965m wrote:
Yet another interesting thread - you really are a clever bunch of buggers :D

Some might disagree. lOl However my SRX400E is also air/oil cooled, dry sump with an oil cooler and a separate oil tank in front of the motor with shallow moulded finning at the front, but it still runs hot. I figure that my XB with oil tank behind the engine and exhaust can have some finning if it wants! ;)

A word of warning though; some thermal cements can corrode alloy so the compound for the swing arm needs a thorough vetting. :?

PostPosted: 17 May 2021 20:32 

:roll:
Just ride the fucker.

PostPosted: 17 May 2021 21:25 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
spondon440 wrote:
:roll:
Just ride the fucker.

:potm:

PostPosted: 18 May 2021 18:23 

My tweaks are not allowed to interfere with my riding time!

They’re supposed to be ‘icing on the cake’. ;)