It is currently 28 Apr 2024 20:04

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Buell 1125r enthusiast
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2024 11:14 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi folks,
Well, after 6 years of owning my Buell 1125r and spending literally months (of real time) in my garage replacing, upgrading and modifying various parts to make it run to the standard I want it to. I now feel that it’s running probably the best I can ever get to, without dismantling the engine but gasket sets are a rare find for this, so kind of prohibit that route.
To be honest I’m guessing there’s little improvement to be had in there anyway, other than maybe balancing the rods and pistons, which would only serve to smooth the engine a little. Other than that, it would take major engineering work and this engine is fast enough for me as it is.
Now, the thing is, with all the previous bikes I’ve owned, at this point, I would usually be bored and get rid, so I could work on something else, but I have to admit that I am still absolutely bowled over by this bike.
The fact that when I get on the 1125r I have to literally ride it, rather than just sit on it, it demands my full attention at all times, especially whilst going fast. There’s also something really mesmerising about the delivery of the astounding inertia this bike develops under power. It is an absolute blast every time I ride it and it would break my heart to part with it.
I have never had a bike that has captured my spirit like this 1125r does and my enthusiasm for riding it isn’t waning at all despite having very little to do to it now, other than routine maintenance (and maybe a steering damper).
It is an absolute Brute of a bike! And how lucky am I that after 50+ years of biking I have finally satiated my biking desire. Whatever happens in the future, this Buell 1125r will be in my garage till I die, even if I can’t ride it, I’ll still be able to look at it in wonder.
Have a nice day folks. Paul.

Attachments:
P1030991.JPG
P1030991.JPG [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 35094 times ]

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2024 21:27 

Current ride: S1`s
Drive needs weeding!! :P

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2024 10:17 

Current ride: BMW F900 XR
:worthy:
Great write up Paul. Good luck with all future endeavours on your bike.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2024 12:21 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
TOPGUMM wrote:
Drive needs weeding!! :P

fence needs painting :P

nice write up , roll on summer time and getting a few more mile in :yup:

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2024 18:28 

delw wrote:
:worthy:
Great write up Paul. Good luck with all future endeavours on your bike.

Thanks for that Delw, 50 + years to find it & still feeling lucky.

See you at one of the events no doubt.

Take care. Paul

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2024 17:46 

Current ride: X1 2001
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... o-footer-1 :here:

:mrgreen:
At its heart is Buell’s ET-V2 engine from the American firm’s current Hammerhead sportsbike.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2024 09:36 

Current ride: The wife
Nutah wrote:
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/langen-lightspeed-ls12/?itm_source=Bibblio&itm_campaign=Bibblio-related&itm_medium=Bibblio-footer-1 :here:

At its heart is Buell’s ET-V2 engine from the American firm’s current Hammerhead sportsbike.

£44k?
Ugly as sin!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2024 11:43 

Finmows wrote:
Nutah wrote:
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/langen-lightspeed-ls12/?itm_source=Bibblio&itm_campaign=Bibblio-related&itm_medium=Bibblio-footer-1 :here:

£44k?
Ugly as sin!

:yup: agreed , was more the tenuous link to the 1125 why i posted it tbh

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2024 10:39 

Current ride: The wife
£44k just seems a bit much for something that's going to me made into a chopper! :twisted:

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2024 11:34 

Nutah wrote:
Finmows wrote:
Nutah wrote:

£44k?
Ugly as sin!

Hi Nutah,
Yeah, I got the link and the fact they're still using a derivative of the 1125 engine. It's great engine although the engine aesthetics leave much to be desired, so it's better hidden in the frame. To make something that costs £44k out of an upgraded 1125 engine is a fail in my opinion.
Erik Buell made masterpiece packages no doubt, but split the bits up and stick them in differing guises does not make an Erik Buell masterpiece.
The Hammerhead looks fine but still has some faults you can find if you watch a few vids on YouTube and they started to move away from mass centralisation, but when you can buy a well sorted 1125 for £5k why bother. I saw a real nice 1125r with rotor done and some other nice upgrades go for £2,250 on Ebay. Nearly bought it myself but have no room.
As far as choppering an 1125 goes, you need to look at the engine, it's Fugly and needs hiding in my opinion.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2024 11:45 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Nutah wrote:
Finmows wrote:
Nutah wrote:

£44k?
Ugly as sin!

Hi Nutah,
Yeah, I got the link and the fact they're still using a derivative of the 1125 engine. It's great engine although the engine aesthetics leave much to be desired, so it's better hidden in the frame. To make something that costs £44k out of an upgraded 1125 engine is a fail in my opinion.
Erik Buell made masterpiece packages no doubt, but split the bits up and stick them in differing guises does not make an Erik Buell masterpiece.
The Hammerhead looks fine but still has some faults you can find if you watch a few vids on YouTube and they started to move away from mass centralisation, but when you can buy a well sorted 1125 for £5k why bother. I saw a real nice 1125r with rotor done and some other nice upgrades go for £2,250 on Ebay. Nearly bought it myself but have no room.
As far as choppering an 1125 goes, you need to look at the engine, it's Fugly and needs hiding in my opinion.

Just as an aside, they make a big deal of taking weight off, I took 8kgs off my 1125r when I was getting it ready to drag, just by careful removal of unnecessary weight, lithium battery, rear seat added up to five of those believe it or not, so it wasn't that difficult.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024 10:38 

Buell 1125r enthusiast
Well, I was up at one of my local bike cafe’s talking to some guys on Aprilia Tounos, very nice bikes with their multiple maps, Race, track, anti wheelie, traction control, stunning shop fitted exhausts etc. Most of them on rental as people do nowadays. Then I noticed their attention was somewhere else.
I looked round and saw them lusting over a Buell 1125r. It looked absolutely stunning, on closer inspection it had all of the modifications I would’ve done myself, Cr gearing, Cr targeted injectors, modified air intake, stacks, racing ECM and exhaust, and lots of other nice bits and bobs, lots of detail work and very tidy.
No rider aids, absolutely nothing, all it needed was skill to ride. It seemed to capture something that was missing for those guys.
I said I’d like to give that a good blast around to see if it’s as good as it looks.
Chorus, yeah so would we.
So I got my keys out, got on it and rode it into the Derbyshire Dales for the rest of the day. It was just as I thought, fantastic.
I love my bike.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2024 08:52 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
Brilliant! Saw it coming, but still brilliant :yup:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2024 20:59 

Current ride: 2004 Buell XB 12s
:yup:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2024 18:49 

:mrgreen: excellent Paul