It is currently 29 Mar 2024 09:11

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bike storage
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022 18:23 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
This unusually warm weather has played havoc with the bike storage this last week as my totally water tight garage that has 5 of the bikes in allowed all this warm moist weather to condensate on the bikes to the degree that I had to remove the bike covers and put them in the tumble dryer to dry.The engine cases were totally covered in water when I went in the garage to put some of the batteries on charge the other day. Normally ventilation helps keep things dry but with this weather it has done the opposite. Lots of cold metal from the close to freezing weather recently and then a sudden change to +15 degrees warm moist days has allowed that moist air into the garage and to condense on all the cold metalwork. Seriously thinking of upgrading to an insulated roller shutter door and to seal it up better. The only totally dry bike we have was Ronnies because the shed it is in is an insulated workshop with an insulated roller shutter door.
Anybody that hasn't checked their garage this last few days maybe needs to check how wet their bikes might be ;)

Post subject: Re: Bike storage
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022 20:59 

Dehumidifier

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022 21:01 

spondon440 wrote:
Dehumidifier

I think even one of those would have struggled due to the moist air being able to continually get into the garage. Would certainly help though.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022 21:38 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
I have heard of a night heater, well actually a piano heat used to warm up a lathe to stop condensation forming, cold damp moist air will always condense on the coldest thing around, same as steam from cooking will always condense on windows, ventilation or heating up cold item is only option ….unless you get one of those hermetically sealed bike bag garage things. Some of which I believe have heater /dehumidifier built in .
https://www.autopyjama.com/permabag-engl/motorbike/

https://www.vac-bag.co.uk/motorcycle-vac-bag-jumbo.html

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022 02:45 

Current ride: X1 2001
Kev , Allen Millyard put a humidity controlled fan in the opposite end of the garage to the doors, it just kicks in to remove the humidity there's a % controller you can set
damn site cheaper & works

roller shutter doors , run in a groove at each side of the door frame , if you reverse a car into it
accidentally or deliberately....the doors bow , then spring out of the channel....not very secure tbh

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022 08:48 

that sounds really good Don :yup: and bathroom / kitchen humidity control fans are cheap

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022 09:37 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
I have heard that positive-pressure ventilation is the key, I would have thought in combination with a dehumidifier. I've not delved any further than that, but presumably needs to be with warmer/drier air than from just outside though, maybe drawn from a roof space? I imagined a toilet extractor fan (and ducting) running in reverse.
As Mr. Millyard is clearly of a different and vastly superior life-form than the rest of us, I would say that his example is worth following...

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022 13:35 

Nutah wrote:
Kev , Allen Millyard put a humidity controlled fan in the opposite end of the garage to the doors, it just kicks in to remove the humidity there's a % controller you can set

roller shutter doors , run in a groove at each side of the door frame , if you reverse a car into it
accidentally or deliberately....the doors bow , then spring out of the channel....not very secure tbh

I think the issue here though is down to the very unusual weather and having a fan would have made it worse because it would have just been drawing in a continuous supply of warm moist air. The only solutions are keeping everything above the dew point temp which is only viable if the garage is sealed and insulated, Or just making sure no damp air can get into the garage.
I have never ever seen the condensation as bad as it was New Years eve and I've stored my bikes in there for the last 25 years :D
The roller doors are far stronger and more secure than any standard up and over door though ;-) and some of them now have the solid bottom lat retained in the channel so it can't be pulled out either side plus all the lats connected together with nylon webbing so that you can't just cut one out and dismantle the rest , they all have anti lift capabilities to a degree but there's at least one brand that has a physical lock that stops the top slat being raised up the channel and doesn't just rely on the over centre retaining straps for it's security.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022 16:16 

kevmean wrote:
Nutah wrote:

I think the issue here though is down to the very unusual weather and having a fan would have made it worse because it would have just been drawing in a continuous supply of warm moist air. The only solutions are keeping everything above the dew point temp which is only viable if the garage is sealed and insulated, Or just making sure no damp air can get into the garage.
I have never ever seen the condensation as bad as it was New Years eve and I've stored my bikes in there for the last 25 years :D
The roller doors are far stronger and more secure than any standard up and over door though ;-) and some of them now have the solid bottom lat retained in the channel so it can't be pulled out either side plus all the lats connected together with nylon webbing so that you can't just cut one out and dismantle the rest , they all have anti lift capabilities to a degree but there's at least one brand that has a physical lock that stops the top slat being raised up the channel and doesn't just rely on the over centre retaining straps for it's security.

Hmmm, I have steel ones at work and right now a scrap stillage is sat on the bottom lip of one and the forks on the stacker are holding the other one down, personally all the ones I ever looked at are made piss weak and not that insulated.
My bikes, cars, lathes, millers where all bone dry.
Andy

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022 16:35 

See my point earlier about dryER, warmER air, Kev. ...eg draw air from your house to pressurise the garage. This wisdom was gleaned from a thread on PH, I'll see if I can find it (should be possible as it's still a forum format, not a Fakebook-type scroll).
My steel roller shutters padlock to a (removable) eyebolt set in the floor. Drive into it and the only one to get hurt is you lOl

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022 16:42 

Found it. Interesting reading.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1786126

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022 16:47 

rik wrote:
See my point earlier about dryER, warmER air, Kev. ...eg draw air from your house to pressurise the garage. This wisdom was gleaned from a thread on PH, I'll see if I can find it (should be possible as it's still a forum format, not a Fakebook-type scroll).
My steel roller shutters padlock to a (removable) eyebolt set in the floor. Drive into it and the only one to get hurt is you lOl

My garage isn't connected to the house though ;) I think any air would be cold by the time it got there.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022 07:34 

:yt: same here , so going to try the fan route, to just get the air moving in the garage ,and not give it time to condense on cold metal, after all the carport is always dry and that open both ends :yup:

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2022 16:35 

Current ride: Ulysses XB12X
i have just fitted aluminium foil insulation to my roof in concrete garage to see if it helps with condensation and damp
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303368335927 ... 3130303751