It is currently 27 Sep 2024 22:29

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Fan on all the time ?
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009 18:19 

This is the first time I have used this site, so will give you a brief history: I have a 2 year old Ully which has never run right since new, and warranty has now expired ! It has had numerous visits back to dealer (who in fairness have been very helpful) and have had fitted bigger headers, Remus silencer, K & N filter, oil catchment tank and pro-fueller.
The bike has finally been running reasonably ok, but on its last visit back to dealer to clear up some warranty faults (inc. aux sockets not working which never have from new) this was connected to the ECU so hence a new ECU was fitted and a new download was available, which was suggested from the dealer that this would sort out all other running issues :) but.... after taking delivery of the bike and test-riding it, once reaching "running" temperature the fan seems to stay permanently on (even with an evening temp of 7C) and only stopping as you pull up in traffic which is when the fan would probably be on, on the hottest day in summer?! Once you pull away fan is on again by the time I reach 2nd gear yet doesnt run when the bike is stopped like it used to. HD say this is how its supposed to be to protect the engine, is this correct? Fan does not even come on if left ticking over for 10mins when engine is hot and then turned off like it used to. I cant ride this with the fan on all the time it will send me crazy!!! This is winter, whats it going to be like in summer. Anybody got any ideas?

mc :headbang:
p.s. Bike runs like s**t again, shall I suggest putting the old download back?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009 19:33 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Moved from New Members :)

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009 19:34 
Needs more cowbell

What sort of mileage do you have, the fan comes on less and less and the engine loosens up. Take a look at the fan contacts, maybe you have a lose wire on the fan ... ?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009 19:38 
You must be lost Ash, this is the Technical Forum :D

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009 19:40 
Needs more cowbell

:oooops: :oooops: :ill: :rofl:

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009 19:57 

Sonds like the thermostat is wired incorrectly so it comes on when it should be off and vice versa?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009 20:00 
Site Admin

New reflash means that the fan is now speed related, not temp......ie. kicks in at 14mph :roll:

You/the dealer cannot go back to the old programme.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009 22:18 

Thats how the 2010 bikes come as standard. The newest update has the fan come on and go off at about 15 mph. Dont know the exact speed.

Dont think im gonna bother updating mine, i like it as it is, the fan is a bit annoying on the new download.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009 22:52 

[ I cant ride this with the fan on all the time it will send me crazy!!! This is winter, whats it going to be like in summer. Anybody got any ideas?

Aaaaaaaagh!. Don't get me going on this one. I know how you feel mc.
See my previous thread on Buell Chat 7th Oct "Fan Woes". Don't know how to do the link thing.
I reckon I was probably the first member who copped for this 'upgrade' and as Maz says, its irreversible. The fan is now speed controlled, coming on about 18mph.
It was done to mine as part of its first service and its very frustrating because I usually do all my own spannering. I wouldn't have taken it to them if I'd known they were going to do the reflash, warranty or not. I was perfectly happy with the way the fan worked before (ie) coming on when the engine got hot, like a cooling fan should. I can't think of anything more brainless than the fan being on when doing 80mph on the motorway on a cool evening. I'm going to have to work out a way of sorting this because like you, and no doubt others out there, it gets on my nerves and is spoiling an otherwise great ride. If worse comes to worse, I'm going to fit a switch and control it manually. Does anyone out there have a technical solution for this one?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009 23:10 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
There must be some way of fitting another tempcontrol to the rear cylinder and wiring this in series with the fan ;)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009 06:35 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Ear plugs?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009 09:22 

kevmean wrote:
There must be some way of fitting another tempcontrol to the rear cylinder and wiring this in series with the fan ;)

Yeah, that would be the ideal solution, but its where to locate the temp sensor and what to pick in up from.

As I said in my post back in early October, this has implications for all you Buelligans who get your servicing done at a Harley dealership. They WILL do this reflash on your bike - and you'll end up with the same problem. Be warned.

Apparently the claim is that it keeps the engine cooler.
I guess if I stick my fridge outside in the snow midwinter, that will keep the food cooler too.

Last edited by simba on 25 Nov 2009 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009 09:54 

pash wrote:
Ear plugs?

It's not so much the noise that's the issue. I do wear earplugs and to be honest, when I get moving at above 50ish, I can't hear the fan. It's more the fact that I know its on. I worry about how long the fan will last. I'm sure it wasn't designed for continuous running.
So, anyone got a solution other than a manual switch? - especially a temp sensor remedy to return it to something like it was before. I think that this is going to be a problem for a growing number of us, as bikes get the reflash when in for a service.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009 10:17 
If you're any good with electronics, something like this may work !

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009 10:23 
Or if you're really clever, how about adapting one of these !

You could then also set fan speed dependant on temperature ...