It is currently 27 Jun 2024 03:31

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: ECM Tuning..
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010 10:59 

Found this on Twin Motorcycles nl website...
For around £150 they will reprogram your ecm online..using a connecting lead and your laptop! They have templates for most header/exhaust/ecm combinations im told..
Anyone here used this service..? I need to reprogram my ecm after fitting a larger header and race can etc..!
:eat:

http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/index.asp?guid=YXHFSC&cid=9676&a=&s=

Post subject: Re: ECM Tuning..
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010 15:57 

Philgood wrote:
For around £150 they will reprogram your ecm online..using a connecting lead and your laptop! They have templates for most header/exhaust/ecm combinations im told..
Anyone here used this service..? I need to reprogram my ecm after fitting a larger header and race can etc..!

Do you???!
£150! thats getting ripped off. i had mine done for £35 from xopti. you email him the epromm files and he tweaks them and emails them back

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010 17:11 

chris_xb12 wrote:
Philgood wrote:

Do you???!
£150! thats getting ripped off. i had mine done for £35 from xopti. you email him the epromm files and he tweaks them and emails them back

Really? Thats a better price!

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010 17:58 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
You can do it yourself for free... The tuning guide tells you how to do it - download V2 from the ECMSpy website.

The issue is whether you tune just the rear cylinder and make an assumption for the front (which xopti does) or whether you do both front and rear.

If you are going to buy a map off someone, do some digging first. If you have a look on "other" Buell forums, you will find people who have bought maps and ECMs that have made the bike run worse, have made little difference or in some cases have increased fuel consumption by 20% at cruise.

Now, I know you will come back and tell us that you didn't buy a bike to be worried about fuel consumption, however if it means your tank range is down by 20% and you have to fill up more often, as you tear through France, then it will be a PITA for you.

Also, as you are seeing from stock maps on this forum, some bikes run better than others. For this reason, would you have the confidence that an off-the-shelf map will suit your bike?

As a general rule, for a map that is designed to work with a particular pipe, you can assume that the front to rear fuelling ratio will remain the same, i.e. tune the rear and change the fuelling in the front by the same percentage change.

For the X1, you have the stock map for the stock pipe and the race map for the race pipe.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010 22:51 

pash wrote:
You can do it yourself for free... The tuning guide tells you how to do it - download V2 from the ECMSpy website.

The issue is whether you tune just the rear cylinder and make an assumption for the front (which xopti does) or whether you do both front and rear.

If you are going to buy a map off someone, do some digging first. If you have a look on "other" Buell forums, you will find people who have bought maps and ECMs that have made the bike run worse, have made little difference or in some cases have increased fuel consumption by 20% at cruise.

Now, I know you will come back and tell us that you didn't buy a bike to be worried about fuel consumption, however if it means your tank range is down by 20% and you have to fill up more often, as you tear through France, then it will be a PITA for you.

Also, as you are seeing from stock maps on this forum, some bikes run better than others. For this reason, would you have the confidence that an off-the-shelf map will suit your bike?

As a general rule, for a map that is designed to work with a particular pipe, you can assume that the front to rear fuelling ratio will remain the same, i.e. tune the rear and change the fuelling in the front by the same percentage change.

For the X1, you have the stock map for the stock pipe and the race map for the race pipe.

Exactly why im doing some 'digging' now Pash!
I have a new header pipe and could weld two sensor bushes on before I fit it.. is it worth it?
I have mechanical skills but know nothing about ECMspy at all..!
Thanks.. :worthy:

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010 03:26 

I have not done that for a long while. I will at this time give away the how to's along with pash v2 tuning guide you cant go wrong...

as for tuning I use dual widebands on all bikes at the old shop. i even have a dual setup on my street bike and race bike. i ran it this way on the dyno to make the base maps for aprox 8 different pipes. this was done for the xb12 and xb9. from there tables were made to avg changes. over all its a guess from observations. for non dual censored bikes.
just because you made pipes bigger or shorter free flow or back pressure. doesnt mean it needs more fuel. you need to read the afr you may have made it more efficient actually needing less fuel in many areas.

I stopped for two reasons 1. it was ecmspy and not to be commercially done (begin to eat at me for doing it). 2. time to do it correctly as some expected a one time upload. which never matches files to the actual bike. best resolution was stop totally. regroup and give away my many days of training and info gathered from the dyno,track and street from the 4gas and dual widband info over a couple years time. I actually built an engine just to test with. I also wore out two tires on the dyno doing test. It was well worth the effort.

all of my maps did use more fuel cause i like it more rich living in a very hot climate.
14.7 burns to hot where cooler 15.4 is to weak on the hp IMO. so i was setting cruise at 14.0 and open loop at 13.2 in most cases.

timing on all ecms was moved at idle time to all six up front at the lower idle a 9 and rear a 6 on all six zeros. makes for a more smooth idle every time and egts actually dropped.

needless if you have questions pm me or email i will tell what i did in full and why.

read the V2 tuning guide its great.
see www.ecmspy.com for it.

mike

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010 08:18 

Sounds like a plan then..!
I need to know what software and leads etc I need for my 08 XT engine..will have a good read up on this in the next day or so..

Thanks guys.. :sun:

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010 13:58 

same cable the rs232 to usb as ecmspy uses.

most likely you will need the ecmread and turnerpro combo to do the files.

It has (almost) everything in it. which is everything you need for tuning.
I have them as kits you assemble for 24.95 plus shipping. (add 8.00 for out of USA freight). darn post office forces me to have the up-charge on freight and doesn't allow a link for it on location on my system.

In the USA I know its a very good price. not sure else where if the rs232 cable is available locally if so compare shipping and price first for both components. If purchasing from mouser they have the amphole plugs which are military spec. better made IMO and has a nice thumb tab and smaller sealing holes for the wires. same cost as duestche plugs but better.
only kicker is to get the plugs you have to buy the plug,wedge and sockets separate.
1 plug,1 wedge,3 sockets (or more for spare).

mike

PostPosted: 07 May 2010 06:59 

As my Buell race exhaust can has no active valve, can I remove the cable and control unit in the airbox?

:worthy:

PostPosted: 07 May 2010 07:43 
I'd rather race a Honda 90

is it just me that thinks all this computerised bike onboard brain stuff is bollocks :?:

Needing a lap top to sort a bike isn't much fun when you're stranded.... oh for the days when you set your timing with a Rizla paper....... ;)

But then again, what do I know about bikes....... :?: :(

PostPosted: 07 May 2010 09:24 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
spen wrote:
oh for the days when you set your timing with a Rizla paper....... ;)

But now even non smokers are allowed to adjust timing. I think, that's quite an advantage, not having to ruin health just for a proper spark. :!:

PostPosted: 07 May 2010 09:29 

Smoking doesn't kill you, it's the stress of having to listen to all the no smoking brigade that does you in....

PostPosted: 07 May 2010 09:43 
spen wrote:
is it just me that thinks all this computerised bike onboard brain stuff is bollocks :?:

Needing a lap top to sort a bike isn't much fun when you're stranded.... oh for the days when you set your timing with a Rizla paper....... ;)

But then again, what do I know about bikes....... :?: :(

I completely & utterly agree, Spen. :clap:

I'm no luddite when it comes to business systems, in fact I was the major force in computerising our business and pushing the boundaries further as opportunities came along, but it just doesn't seem right where engines are concerned. Let's hear it for the carb :D

PostPosted: 07 May 2010 11:13 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Philgood wrote:
As my Buell race exhaust can has no active valve, can I remove the cable and control unit in the airbox?

:worthy:

Yes, and mute the error reporting. See the How To. I may even update it for 08/09/10 bikes...

PostPosted: 07 May 2010 13:32 

greasemonkey wrote:
spen wrote:
Smoking doesn't kill you, it's the stress of having to listen to all the no smoking brigade that does you in....

slap 'em across the mush with a kipper Your Grace,

,,must be 20 years since I used to always set out on the bike with a tool kit, think I prefer the ecm approach, saves buggerin' about up an' down a deserted stetch (if you can find one these days) with a pocketfull of jets, a posidrive an' an 8 mil combi spanner

That's where the fun comes in....... ;)