It is currently 20 Sep 2024 00:57

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: My Uly 10k service
PostPosted: 10 May 2013 00:04 
Nanny Brown

Maz wrote:
.......but you aint had a 10K service, even though it needs one :)

Very true, although you said the steering head bearings were fine, plus you have changed the brake fluid, primary oil etc. etc.

Still looking forward to riding it again though... :dance: :dance: :yup:

PostPosted: 10 May 2013 16:30 

pash wrote:
Fork oil time...

Manual says HD Type E fork oil
:maz: recommends Screaming Eagle fork oil

...I am more likely to take :maz: 's advice, but what happens if I want to use another brand???

From here, SE comes in at 10.4 centistokes @ 100 deg C and 67.3 centistokes at 40 deg C. We are only interested in 40 deg C cos I don't think my fork oil is going to get much hotter than that.

67.3 centistokes puts us between 15 and 20W, but we could do with a wider spread of oil manufacturers, and stuff we can buy in the UK... Check this out...

So, if we do a direct comparison:

Belray 15W is 59 & 53 (first and second links)
Belray 20W is 82 & 74

Difference is about 10%, so we should be looking for something around 61 on the second link...

We can buy Silkolene in jolly ole England, and that comes out as 50 (15W) and 68 (20W)... If only Silkolene made a 17.5W :run:

I'll go with the Screaming Eagle for now...

Thanks to Daywalker for the links above

Thanks to Daywalker for that link :yup: I posted something similar in 2011 and got several PMs from various folk saying that I was talking bollocks about fork oil ;) :D

Adam wrote:
The HD oil is Type E, which I think is the equivalent of about 7.5/10(you need to check with Maz)

. This is a general type used in all the bikes, you may be happier with a different vicosity depending on how heavy you are, how you ride etc
With fork oil, for some stupid reason, one manufacturers grade of oil MAY not be the same as another manufacturer :? - common sense would dictate that there would be a standard test :?

PostPosted: 10 May 2013 18:10 
pash wrote:
You cheeky monkey, I am up to about 18 hours and the front end is not on yet...

Worth a try. Keep up the good work its good reading and informative.

:worthy:

PostPosted: 10 May 2013 23:26 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Another three hours:

Front wheel cleaned
Wheel bearings fitted
Disc sandpapered (to help get any deposits off)
Disc mounting hardware inspected and cleaned (bit contentious this cos the manual says use new stuff)
Front wheel fitted
Front caliper cleaned and fitted
Front caliper bled
Lever pivots greased
Cables oiled (if I did this again, I would use much thinner oil on the throttle)
Exhaust header nuts removed and copa slipped (not on my initial list of things to do, but since we are having a few studs breaking off, it makes sense to 'maintain' them)

Some photos:

These screws are a bugger to get out...
...so take the opportunity and copa slip them...

Brake and clutch pivots were dry...
...I cleaned and greased them up with some white bicycle grease I had lying around...

Putting some oil down the throttle cables...
...but if I were to do it again I would use thinner oil on the throttle... Clutch is mint now!

Bleeding the front brake...
...the fluid was quite fresh anyway and it wasn't easy to see when it was coming out 'clean', so I pumped three reservoirs full through... Hey wait... What does it say on the reservoir cover? Yeah, DOT4... Why am I using DOT5.1? Cos I can and cos there are bargains to be had...

PostPosted: 11 May 2013 18:53 
proff. patpending

Where am I?

5. Lubricate cables - Will put some lighter stuff down the throttle cables
6. Change brake fluids - Rear only
7. Clean IAT sensor
8. Check ignition lead for chaffing
9. Check harness for chaffing
10. Clean wiring loom and connectors
14. Clean and lubricate gear lever and rear brake pivots
15. Clean throttle plate
16. Clean and lubricate tickover screw

Plus TPS reset, static ignition timing, spark plugs etc.

Should be able to get that done tonight...

PostPosted: 11 May 2013 23:30 
proff. patpending

A very busy two hours...

Got into the airbox. Note that I do not have a breather mod cos I don't think I need one ( :twisted: ):
Image Image Image

Note the oil 'airside' of the filter. That suggests the sealing of the filter is not that great, oil possibly being blown past the filter as a result of blowing back through the inlet...

Throttle plate was not that dirty, but I gave it a clean up with some carb cleaner:
Image Image Image

Bit of evidence of chaffing on the temp sensor wire, caused by the breather.

Checked for further chaffing, e.g. where the ECM wires rub on the seat and where the harness touches other bits of harness, pipe or other bits of bike. Examples shown. Nothing of note:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

And interestingly, I found the seat had been pressing down on my auxiliary feed to my Simpson Detour lights:

I re-routed that one...

My Bluetooth dongle 5000 miles on (still works):

I used some Putoline cable guard on the throttle cables which made the return from WOT a bit zippier.

Lots of crud in places. A toothbrush with WD40 did the trick.

Out with the plugs, and how I held my breath after seeing Lars1976s thread come out with his plugs...

But no problems, and I know why, but you will see later.

Lots more crud, this time in the plug recess:

But James 'sawmill copycat' Dyson comes to the rescue:

Off with the scoop. Here is my preferred tool for the job:

And again, the front plug is a mess...

New (don't look :maz: ) and old plugs, plus ignition leads. IAT sensor just hanging tough with its mates:
Image Image

The gaps had increased from 36 thou (set 5000 miles ago) to 41 thou...

No chaffing on the front plug lead; common either on idle adjuster or more commonly on Uly, against the harness...

And here is why they came out OK (I bet I get slated for this picture - but never had a problem in 30 years of spark plug changing):

Next to check the timing, so out with the plug:

Now, a lot of people think you need ECMSpy to check your timing, but you don't, you can do it with the ignition on, plugs out, to make it easier, and bike in 5th. When the crank mark is in the middle of the window, this is the point where the fuel pump primes. If you are miles out, it means you are 360 deg crank angle wrong and are looking at TDC front exhaust rather than compression.

Anyway, I was a few degrees over advanced. I had read about Uly engines being poorly timed at the factory and this is the first time I have checked the timing... Off with the badge and then the plate. I used an impact driver cos the screws are easy to chew up if you are not putting much pressure on them when you loosen them:
Image Image

A quick adjustment, keeping ignition on, the crank mark in the centre of the window and moving the pickup plate until I get to the pump switching point. Then a quick check with the rear wheel, backing off then moving in the forward direction of the bike.

And now all that's left....

Plus refit flyscreen, Remus and chin spoiler...

Has taken a good 24 hours to date...

:sun:

PostPosted: 12 May 2013 00:10 
Site Admin

Pash, you're a :yc: for loadsa reasons you already know about from the above but most of all because you aint routed the breathers to atmosphere yet......why do you reckon you dont need to ?? :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 12 May 2013 00:13 
proff. patpending

Cos Uly likes oil... :D

Anyway, behind the tough exterior, I am very sensitive and now after being labelled a :yc: I am going to have to reroute my breathers...

By the way, that is the only thing I can be labelled a :yc: for.

PostPosted: 12 May 2013 00:16 
Site Admin

Wanna bet :)

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 12 May 2013 00:49 
Think Pink

Current ride: Awesome Ulysses & X1
pash wrote:
A very busy two hours...

Got into the airbox. Note that I do not have a breather mod cos I don't think I need one ( :twisted: ):
Image Image Image

Note the oil 'airside' of the filter. That suggests the sealing of the filter is not that great, oil possibly being blown past the filter as a result of blowing back through the inlet...

Throttle plate was not that dirty, but I gave it a clean up with some carb cleaner:
Image Image Image

Bit of evidence of chaffing on the temp sensor wire, caused by the breather.

Checked for further chaffing, e.g. where the ECM wires rub on the seat and where the harness touches other bits of harness, pipe or other bits of bike. Examples shown. Nothing of note:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

And interestingly, I found the seat had been pressing down on my auxiliary feed to my Simpson Detour lights:

I re-routed that one...

My Bluetooth dongle 5000 miles on (still works):

I used some Putoline cable guard on the throttle cables which made the return from WOT a bit zippier.

Lots of crud in places. A toothbrush with WD40 did the trick.

Out with the plugs, and how I held my breath after seeing Lars1976s thread come out with his plugs...

But no problems, and I know why, but you will see later.

Lots more crud, this time in the plug recess:

But James 'sawmill copycat' Dyson comes to the rescue:

Off with the scoop. Here is my preferred tool for the job:

And again, the front plug is a mess...

New (don't look :maz: ) and old plugs, plus ignition leads. IAT sensor just hanging tough with its mates:
Image Image

The gaps had increased from 36 thou (set 5000 miles ago) to 41 thou...

No chaffing on the front plug lead; common either on idle adjuster or more commonly on Uly, against the harness...

And here is why they came out OK (I bet I get slated for this picture - but never had a problem in 30 years of spark plug changing):

Next to check the timing, so out with the plug:

Now, a lot of people think you need ECMSpy to check your timing, but you don't, you can do it with the ignition on, plugs out, to make it easier, and bike in 5th. When the crank mark is in the middle of the window, this is the point where the fuel pump primes. If you are miles out, it means you are 360 deg crank angle wrong and are looking at TDC front exhaust rather than compression.

Anyway, I was a few degrees over advanced. I had read about Uly engines being poorly timed at the factory and this is the first time I have checked the timing... Off with the badge and then the plate. I used an impact driver cos the screws are easy to chew up if you are not putting much pressure on them when you loosen them:
Image Image

A quick adjustment, keeping ignition on, the crank mark in the centre of the window and moving the pickup plate until I get to the pump switching point. Then a quick check with the rear wheel, backing off then moving in the forward direction of the bike.

And now all that's left....

Plus refit flyscreen, Remus and chin spoiler...

Has taken a good 24 hours to date...

:sun:

JEEEEESUS dude you cracked on with this job :twisted: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: considering your a :yc: ;) :D :D

PostPosted: 12 May 2013 05:09 
proff. patpending

Maz wrote:
Wanna bet :)

Let's be having it then...

PostPosted: 12 May 2013 15:11 
Pash .if you put this to a step by step Video i'd pay good money for the dvd....£££££

PostPosted: 12 May 2013 16:02 
proff. patpending

That means I would have to do it again and besides :maz: hasn't told is what I did wrong yet...

Bottom line is that at 10k, my headraces and swinging arm bearings were fooked along with plugs (which you are meant to change anyway).

PostPosted: 12 May 2013 20:06 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
Pash
From a design point the IAT is to measure inlet air temp and to have two engine /crankcase breathers so close, one on each side, breathing hot oil mist/vapour may lead to some inconsistent readings, from either the insulating properties of an oil soaked IAT or once warmed up the temperature of the vapour
The breather MOD makes sense :yup:
IIRC About a 3% change to AFV , but I did the heat shield MOD as well at the same time

PostPosted: 12 May 2013 20:19 
proff. patpending

If you look at the correction tables you will see there is very little effect on fuelling. The incoming air will whisk away the breathed gas.

The biggest effect on air temperature and its measurement comes from radiation from the bottom of the airbox. There is an experiment showing the effect of a reflective backing somewhere on the site.

Since the breather is pumping out predominantly CO2 and N2, you are actually making the engine run more efficiently by reducing pumping losses. It is a rough form of EGR.

But to please everyone, I will throw the breathers overboard, but where do I stop? Shall I do the missus' car too?