It is currently 21 Sep 2024 00:53

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: The Grenade
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010 13:21 

Current ride: S1`s
Belt should be the same,just keep an eye out for used pulleys, some rear Harley pulleys can be machined out to take the buell wheel.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010 18:43 
steely wrote:
03 wrote:
The best mod to a bike of that age was/is to fit US gearing, by far.

Out of curiosity, what is/was stock European and US gearing on tubers?

The stock gearing (29/61) feels good on the Sporty - gives decent acceleration and sits at a comfortable 4000rpm cruising at 90.

Yea comfortable on a motorway at plus 70 and that's about it! ~just goes to show what kind of rider you are in the lanes, unless your flat out using top then your up and down thru 3rd and forth forever. Belt tension is also critical as riders often tighten the belt with european pulleys to take up the snatchy ride and lo and behold they will snap with regular alacrity :shock:
Lets face it a buells domain is the humble A & B road not the motorway ;) But each to their own you live and eventually you learn :old:

Gee Tee wrote:
Are the US spec pullys and belt easy to get hold of if you want to swap?

Dealers will probably always have the pulleys as this is after all a standard mod for what is in fact an american harley sportser engine ~they used to retail from Maz with the speedo "what you didn't realise you needed a different one"! for £350 but now from dealers your talking nearly £500 including the essential new front pulley nut. The calibration is out if you change the pulleys but not the speedo ~am sure others more competant here abouts can explain the technicals.
Best to keep yer eyes out for second hand here and on ebay and put up a message in the wanteds section, price varies according to status knowledge and greed ;)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010 19:01 

Current ride: S1`s
If your speedo runs off the front wheel it should be ok.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010 14:16 

Current ride: XL1250S + MT-09
Badassbueller wrote:
steely wrote:
The stock gearing (29/61) feels good on the Sporty - gives decent acceleration and sits at a comfortable 4000rpm cruising at 90.

Yea comfortable on a motorway at plus 70 and that's about it! ~just goes to show what kind of rider you are in the lanes , unless your flat out using top then your up and down thru 3rd and forth forever.
Lets face it a buells domain is the humble A & B road not the motorway ;) But each to their own you live and eventually you learn :old:

As I mentioned, it GIVES GOOD ACCELERATION whilst still being comfortable at motorway cruising speeds (i.e. not revving its tits off). I too prefer to ride the back roads - I spend more time there than on motorways (and my Sporty does have plenty of punch out of bends - ask Pash ;)) - but sometimes you have no option but to cover long distance fast and take to the dual carriageways and motorways. I find the 29/61 gearing to be such a good compromise that it's not really a compromise. :D

Quote:
just goes to show what kind of rider you are in the lanes

If only you knew! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited by steely on 28 Oct 2010 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010 14:18 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
What diameter is your back wheel Mr Steely?

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010 14:26 

pash wrote:
What diameter is your back wheel Mr Steely?

8 inches. :D

According to Avon's website, the tyre diameter is 646mm. By a remarkable coincidence, if you divide 646mm by 25.4, you find it is 25.4 inches! It's a Zen thing - it must be the perfect diameter for a tyre! That's why it works!

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010 14:29 

steely wrote:
but sometimes you have no option but to cover long distance fast and take to the dual carriageways and motorways. I find the 29/61 gearing to be such a good compromise that it's not really a compromise. :D
That's why US S3's have 29/61 as factory spec ;)

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010 14:58 

I just checked a couple of trye sites, Pash. As an example, 170/60-17 tyres, as fitted to GB's X1, are about 24.9-25.0" diameter - not hugely different to mine. GB has the UK gearing, but reduced primary gearing (not sure what ratio it is, and for f**ks sake don't remind :maz: ;) ), and the overall gearing of our bikes seems to be almost identical.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010 16:24 
The Nagged Hubby

steely wrote:
Badassbueller wrote:
steely wrote:

Yea comfortable on a motorway at plus 70 and that's about it! ~just goes to show what kind of rider you are in the lanes , unless your flat out using top then your up and down thru 3rd and forth forever.

As I mentioned, it GIVES GOOD ACCELERATION whilst still being comfortable at motorway cruising speeds (i.e. not revving its tits off). I too prefer to ride the back roads - I spend more time there than on motorways (and my Sporty does have plenty of punch out of bends - ask Pash ;)) - but sometimes you have no option but to cover long distance fast and take to the dual carriageways and motorways. I find the 29/61 gearing to be such a good compromise that it's not really a compromise. :D

Quote:
just goes to show what kind of rider you are in the lanes

If only you knew! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have seen Mr Steely's tyres,,,, not much room for a chicken to strip! :yup:

N :D

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010 20:54 
Does the 29/61 pully combo still take a stock (M2) length belt and tension up ok?

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2010 23:24 

Nate wrote:

;) lOl

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010 20:57 

steely wrote:
Nate wrote:

;) lOl

:worthy: :worthy: Ah, that weekend 8-) I remember it like yesterday, probably one of the best bike weekends I've had in the 30years of riding, if it's on next year my name will be first on the list :) Mate, take pleasure in the remarks of the uneducated ;)

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2011 01:43 
Been looking at a few 61 tooth pullys on ebay

Would this one off a 1997 1200 sportster fit my M2 ok?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2011 03:25 
Site Admin

Nope......centre would need turning out.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011 01:04 
Dammit :(

Thanks for the heads up Maz

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next