It is currently 29 Sep 2024 17:20

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Clicking from where ?
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012 14:59 

Current ride: ulysses
Hi ever one,
My Uly has had a good rest while the weather been sorting it's self out, so after a while of standing in the garage connected and covered, I take for a blast last saterday, any way on initially moving the bike in any direction a clicking sound appears from the off side ( belt side ) :yup:
Now at first I tought it must be the belt, kind of unsticking after being stood for a while, but then I read some thread with a mention of this sound which they reckoned might be the bearings, a little push forward and it will click and then stop, pull her back no clicking till her original position then a few clicks and then no more. move her again either way and there is no clicking, I'm sure it's noting serious just annoying
wad' da ya reckon :!: :ffs:

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012 15:18 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Have you got a belt tensioner fitted, Sometimes the bearings wear in those .. ? (they did on my STT) Grab each side of the wheel and see if there is any play. I had new bearings fitted and it went away

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012 19:19 
sounds like a defo on the tensioner bearings.
Pash did a good "how to" for them

Mark

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012 09:16 

Current ride: 09 XB12XT, Guzzi V11
My 09 XT has had a Free Spirits tensioner fitted from new, its now done just over 10k and always makes a clicking sound from the tensioner area if the bike has not moved for a while.
Did it yesterday before I went out on it, just been in the garage and moved it forward, no noise.
The back tyre needs replacing so will have a good look at the tensioner when I do that, might be a good idea to order some new tensioner bearings. I already have the wheel bearings as I am sure they will be scrap.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012 10:02 

Thanks for the reply lad's
Funny you should mention the belt tensioner, as I fitted a new FS one a couple of months back ( under strict insructions from the :maz: as a must do)
Is this clicking normal or is something over tight, I fitted the FS tensioner using the instuctions viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10 supplied by Pash which seemed be very comprhensive
Any one else heard this clicking from their FS tensioner ?
Moved alittle last night while hanging over the bike to get my ear near the front sprocket area and it did appear to come from under the cover but could have been the Tennsioner, I'll give it another go

Cheers all and hope to see as many of you as possible at Black Bear on April 7th Cheers :yup:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012 15:02 
Did you modify the sprocket cover ? When I fitted a tensioner to my old Firebolt I had to cut a little of the plastic to stop the belt from rubbing, it may be worth pulling the cover to see if the belt is still rubbing.

And are you aware of the nipple mod ? -

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=742

Or there are other ways of getting extra oil in there - I used a needle and syringe to inject oil through the original seal, and then used a little sealant to plug the hole.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012 18:06 

I did cut the cover alittle as instructed it was easy to see there was alittle in the way, I also thought of getting one of Maz's wonderful greese nipple mods ( make of that what you will :oooops: ) and the clicking does appear to come from behind the cover, I'll wip the cover off tomorrow and look and listen to try and locate if its the belt or bearing
Cheers :yup:

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012 22:23 

Current ride: Buell xb12x
Hi Guys n Gals, This clicking started up with me about a month ago, it is coming from behind the sprocket cover as far as I can make out. It clicks three or four times and then doesn't do it again until it is left lying up for about a week. I did the grease nipple mod over a year ago no sign of rust behind the seal so I doubt if it is gearbox bearing. If any one get an answer to this one please let us know.
In two years of ownership I never heard this noise before. Tensioner bearings about 2K ago.
Cheers.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012 05:37 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Depending on which way you rotate the rear wheel, the belt will move in one direction to the side. Is it that you have moved the bike in reverse before moving it forwards?