It is currently 22 Sep 2024 08:49

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: XB9 Bottom end noise.
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016 14:17 
Having replaced the race can back to a Tubbs mod standard exhaust, nice new gaskets and brass exhaust studs, along with a few other bits and pieces, and seeing how it was such a nice day, I thought I'd just run the bike up, and make sure all was good for the dreaded MOT.

All was fine, bike feels good, stops, turns no wobbles or shakes, but the tick over has always been low, 800 rpm, so a fine tune with the adjuster, and back to the 1000rpm mark no trouble, all good, apart from the now apparent deep knock from the bottom end, only there on tick over, does not seem to get any louder when revved, but looks like is going to be the end of the road for this one....

Oh well, out with spanners, and out with the engine, got to come out, the rear barrel base gasket is leaking, no choice really, deepest joys.
So, in the words of a famous explorer who himself got lost, I'm going now, and may be gone for some time!
Oh yes, Tubbs you where right, boy, does the pipe smoke! sounds good thou... will be in touch for sure... :yup:

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016 14:59 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I would give Maz a call and see what he makes of the noise...

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016 16:34 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
:yt: I bet even hearing it over the phone he'll be able to diagnose the likely fault 8-)

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016 19:32 

Is it 06 or earlier, and have you changed the oil pump drive skew gear? Might be worth looking at if you haven't.