It is currently 29 Mar 2024 14:27

All times are UTC

Post subject: neutral switch issues
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020 11:10 

Current ride: Ulysses XB12X
been doing a bit of maintenance for MOT - new rear tyre, wheel bearings, EBC disc and pads, belt tensioner pulley bearings. axle stuck in swinging arm on removal - so everything all lubed up on replacement

also got some powder coating done on Swing arm brace and footrest hangers - despite photo they are all the same colour

put it all together and goes to start - no neutral light - but pulling clutch in allows start - so looks like ignition light switch gubbed - but another thing - one side of my indicators was flashing really fast while other side was flashing normally - could this be linked to neutral switch - or is it just a coincidence that both issues started at same time?
plus it says in manual that can be done without belt removal - can it?

cheers
Muir

Attachments:
footrest hangers.jpg
footrest hangers.jpg [ 2.67 MiB | Viewed 1191 times ]
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020 11:49 

Current ride: X1 2001
the side thats flashing faster , are both the lamps working ?
only normaly faster means lower load .

try giving the neutral switch a good spray of contact cleaner (not wd40)

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020 12:02 
Site Admin

Neutral switch failure is very common, pull the terminal off the switch and earth it, lamp should light and bike will start as normal. Pulley will need removing to change the switch.
Are both lamps flashing on the fast side and if so are both 'bulbs' the correct wattage ?

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020 13:42 

yes both bulbs on near side flashing quickly - off side flashing normally and only just started so no bulb changes - but will check

will also check continuity and clean switch with contact cleaner

thanks
Muir

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020 18:41 

Chin fairing and pulley cover back off and managed to get cap off neutral switch - bit of a clean and tested (ground to earth) and light comes on - so i managed to get the cap back on (it is a lot easier geting it off) and lo and behold neutral light seems to be working again - and the indicator glitch has disappeared as well - so not a coincidence

i have a switch coming from Riders - but needed light to work for MOT - so here's hoping

cheers and thanks to Nutah and Maz
Muir

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020 20:12 

Current ride: XB12X
If/when you come to replace the neutral switch you can do it without the hassle of removing the pulley by modifying a bos spanner. I forget the size for the switch now but get a box spanner that fits and cut away about half of the shank of the spanner for a length you can determine by holding the spanner next to the pulley. I just used a dremel with a cutting disc (much easier and cheaper with a box spanner than with a deep socket) to remove the metal.

Then process is simple
1) Undo right side of chin spoiler
2) Remove pulley cover
3) Loosen rear axle and move belt off front pulley.
4) Disconnect wire from neutral switch
5) Use modified box spanner to remove switch.
6) Refitting is the reverse process as they say.

I did mine about 6 weeks ago and took about 30 mins.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2020 20:39 
Site Admin

In my world it's just easier and quicker to remove the pulley but I guess not everyone has the kit to do that :?
Switch is 5/8''

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020 14:50 

:yt: To remove the pulley is one nut! (ok...and 2 screws on the lock ring) I've just made a special spanner to get at one of the nuts on a Velocette magneto, and it took nearly 1/2hour + the cost of a 7/16 BSF spanner.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020 17:29 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Also remember that the issue could have just been corrosion between the connector and switch and removing and refitting cleaned it enough to get contact again, so see how it goes for a while before ripping it all to bits ;)

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2020 23:33 

Current ride: None
I had to replace the neutral switch on my Ully, while I don’t doubt it can be done without removing the pulley, as Maz said, it’s really simple with the pulley removed.

To remove the big nut you need a big socket (from memory 1 7/8” or 48mm). An impact wrench helps too ;) although after removing the lock ring the big nut on mine just came off by hand because it’d been butchered and split by some hamfisted tit of a PO (with a cold chisel and lump hammer by the looks of it). :shock: Some people just shouldn’t be allowed near tools. :cry: