It is currently 28 Mar 2024 15:19

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020 15:04 

Current ride: Buell M2 Cyclone
Currently contemplating starting fitting a set of Jota bars to my M2 for the adjustability.

Got the bars, but before I start dismantling anything I suspect from looking at the existing set up I'm likely to need to need to raise the new bars about 20mm to clear the fork ends?

The Jota bars are straight and the existing bars have a slight bend up and away from the fork ends, and the clamps are angled, I imagine this means any bar risers will need to be similarly angled?

What is the bolt spacing on the existing clamps? From my brief poking about (without removing instrument panel) it looks like in the region of 40mm centre to centre? Is this correct?

Is there any standard method for achieving this? Anything I can buuy off-the-shelf?

know my way around engines and tinkering with bits and bobs but not done anything with handlebars in my life so treat me as a novice!

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020 15:19 

Current ride: S1`s
Have a peep . search.php?keywords=bar+risers&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020 17:25 

TOPGUMM wrote:

:-). Doh! Thanks very much for that. (Made me feel quite silly!!)

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020 18:33 

Someone may chip in with something else. Bought mine from http://www.preeng.com/xcart/home.php?cat=5 ,but it was a long time ago :old: There may be Chinese variants now?

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2020 10:17 

TOPGUMM wrote:
Someone may chip in with something else. Bought mine from http://www.preeng.com/xcart/home.php?cat=5 ,but it was a long time ago :old: There may be Chinese variants now?

Thank you, that's really helpful. Was the page you linked to showing what you actually purchased or was it just a general link to the website?

I think my problem is going to be that the existing bar clamps are angled to suit the standard bar shape and I'm going to fit bars that are straight (across the clamp area) so the riser will need to be angled on the bottom (to fit existing lower)and straight on top.

I can see this may be more complicated than I thought!

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2020 11:17 

I had Jota bars on my X1. However, there are Jota bars and Jota bars. Some of the cheaper ones have larger 'teeth' for adjustment, and some aren't straight when you bolt them up. I took them off and to fit to my T140 when I fitted rear sets to it.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2020 11:35 

jocklandjohn wrote:
TOPGUMM wrote:

Thank you, that's really helpful. Was the page you linked to showing what you actually purchased or was it just a general link to the website?

I think my problem is going to be that the existing bar clamps are angled to suit the standard bar shape and I'm going to fit bars that are straight (across the clamp area) so the riser will need to be angled on the bottom (to fit existing lower)and straight on top.

I can see this may be more complicated than I thought!

They were second hand . Not sure if they make them or company is still trading as site is locked.
They mimic the bar position on the tuber bikes to go straight accross . Will not work with the aftermarket spondon yokes if your bike has them.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2020 14:05 

Adam wrote:
I had Jota bars on my X1. However, there are Jota bars and Jota bars. Some of the cheaper ones have larger 'teeth' for adjustment, and some aren't straight when you bolt them up. I took them off and to fit to my T140 when I fitted rear sets to it.

Exactly. I well remember them being very fashionable. Loads of folks bought them only to discover they would only fit their bike in one position! Not so adjustable after all.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2020 18:40 

Thanks all, I can see I need to do a wee bit more poking about to find anything off-the-shelf that will fit. I may neeed to get a local machinist to do some steel carving for me!