It is currently 18 Apr 2024 19:47

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021 13:58 

Current ride: Ulysses
Hi Guys,

Wonder if anyone can assist here. Years ago my Ulysses engine broke, and I put the bike in my shed and left it - fed up with many issues I'd had, and this was the last straw. I'm now pulling it apart to get it back on the road - removed the engine and discovered a broken valve spring on the rear pot, which damaged the piston and scored the barrel. I guess I could just get a single barrel/piston set, and a new head, but I've spotted a 2009 Lightning engine for sale that I believe will be a straight swap. This could be an easier way to go, and will mean having a spare engine to repair at my leisure. It's a Thunderstorm engine, so has the improved oil pump which is a bonus.

Would anyone know if this later engine will indeed be a straight swap out - it comes with the airbox, throttle body, fuel injectors, ignition coil, HT leads, oil cooler, starter motor and various engine sensors, so assuming various wiring connections are the same as well as oil lines (or I could have relevant new lines made up if not), then I don't see why it won't fit and work.

My engine rebuild skills are sufficient to be able to rebuild my engine, but the Lightning one has covered only 3000 miles (allegedly), and my current engine has done 35k, and has already had a bottom end rebuild (under warranty by the dealer) so I'm thinking the investment in this engine would be worth it - I intend to keep the bike long term, as I have others I can use.

Grateful for your help/comments/advice.

Clive

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021 14:41 

Cheapest option, rebore it and fit 0.010" oversize piston. Unlikely the head is beyond repair, I should think.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021 15:54 

03 wrote:
Cheapest option, rebore it and fit 0.010" oversize piston. Unlikely the head is beyond repair, I should think.

Maybe so, but would I not have to do the other pot as well - to keep things balanced? (Showing my ignorance here I know).

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021 16:49 

Current ride: X1 2001
just off nightshift so bit foggy

but some xb had different sized exhaust manifolds , best check this I cant remember the years sorry

but as Steve says above that seems a cheaper fix , plus the other engine is an unknown potentially ?

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021 17:06 
Site Admin

You would need to change the wiring harness and ECM because the 09 motor has a crank angle sensor, your 06 has a cam position sensor.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021 20:42 

Maz wrote:
You would need to change the wiring harness and ECM because the 09 motor has a crank angle sensor, your 06 has a cam position sensor.

Maz, thank you. This is what I hoped for, your expert knowledge that tells me I'm being foolish. I may be able to get the harness & ECU, but it's not definite and it would mean pulling apart more of the bike to replace more bits, and I'd end up more out of my depth.

So, moving on then, I need to source parts, or someone who can/is willing to undertake a top end rebuild for me ;) :mrgreen: (obviously for suitable recompense).

I'll get some pictures posted up in a few days to show the problem, but basically, as far as I can tell, I need a new barrel, piston, and valve set on the rear pot. But then, what's to say the other pot won't suffer the same fate later on? If so, now I've got the engine out on the bench, would I be crazy not to do a precautionary rebuild on that one as well - at the very least new valves/valve springs?

Nutah and others thanks for your inputs as well.