1125R charging questions

Playground of the Techies. The place for resolution of more detailed questions and problems. Attempts to start The Tyre Thread or The Oil Thread in here may result in personal injury.
billbofagends
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:02 pm
Current ride: 1125R

1125R charging questions

Postby billbofagends » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:49 pm

Hi folks

I've done 80 mi on my 1125R since purchasing it Thurs this week. Unfortunately, I've been struck by charging issues already with a sys voltage too low on the display. I was well aware of the problems with 1125 models before buying and checked the battery was charging before purchasing - it was showing 13.8v at the battery. 80mi later not looking so good.

Anyhow, I've followed the electrical manual and:
1. Each stator phase to earth = open circuit so all good
2. Phase to phase resistance = ~0.8 ohms so would have thought this was acceptable
3. Phase to phase voltage while running - around 1v, for each combination. Certainly not the 40+v AC it should be.

A little confused. Resistance check implies stator windings ok but no voltage. Does that mean my rotor is screwed? Wouldn't that mean either it's not spinning or magnets have all fallen out? 🤔 No horrible mechanical noises to suggest that though.

A weird thing happened while investigating above. While running on the drive, I had a puff of something, not sure it was smoke under the air box. It carried on running fine but I shut it off quick. It fired back up ok but getting a few wisps of smoke from same area. Doesn't smell electrical but a little disconcerting.

Kinda hoping I could enjoy it for what bit of summer is left before having to get hands dirty. Clutch slave leaking too but ordered an Oberon replacement.

Cheers

User avatar
Nutah
Posts: 10467
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Current ride: X1 2001
Location: southampton

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby Nutah » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:17 pm

:shock:

smoking sounds fucking bad , electrical fires cause massive damage
get your money back from the vendor asap

...or
start stripping it down to find the source
at a guess as you have a charging issue & smoking cabling suspect its going to the voltage regulator

good luck which ever way you choose :yup:
Feros Ferio

billbofagends
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:02 pm
Current ride: 1125R

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby billbofagends » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:59 pm

It's not r/r smoking as that was disconnected at the time. Also, no AC voltage getting to it at the moment. Smoke was emanating from the top of rear cylinder. I've started to strip it down, no obvious melted cables as yet.

Anyone have any suggestions re the stator and the readings I've got? Hopefully will get it out the bike for a closer inspection tomorrow.

User avatar
barney
Posts: 3707
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:10 pm
Current ride: Buell ulysses
Location: Telford

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby barney » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:01 am

Buell Ulysses XB12X 06/08

User avatar
Maz
Site Admin
Posts: 8591
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby Maz » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:25 pm

Resistance across windings should be 0.1-0.3 max.
Mithered ta death.
92 MB
96 S2T
98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

billbofagends
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:02 pm
Current ride: 1125R

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby billbofagends » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:14 pm

Yeh I read that in the electrical diag manual. 0.8 isn't much though, not like it's k or M ohms implying a break. It's on the bike lift now, slowly being stripped down. Looks like new stator, Hildstrom rotor mod and source a series r/r are all in order.

Any recommendations for a UK source for a series r/r? I found this on eBay 265204529011.

User avatar
Nutah
Posts: 10467
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 8:00 pm
Current ride: X1 2001
Location: southampton

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby Nutah » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:41 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=146 :here:

give this a read it explains it :yup:
good luck
Feros Ferio

User avatar
kevmean
Posts: 7229
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:28 pm
Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby kevmean » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:24 pm

billbofagends wrote:Yeh I read that in the electrical diag manual. 0.8 isn't much though, not like it's k or M ohms implying a break. It's on the bike lift now, slowly being stripped down. Looks like new stator, Hildstrom rotor mod and source a series r/r are all in order.

Any recommendations for a UK source for a series r/r? I found this on eBay 265204529011.

Be very careful when checking resistance on any item to make sure you take into account any resistance of the actual test meter leads ;) you might find if you put the leads together that your meter will read 0.6 just through it's own leads ;)
2001 X1 2009 1125CR 2006 Uly X3 2010 Uly a fully Maz'd S1 and a 1991 RS1200 Westwind.

billbofagends
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:02 pm
Current ride: 1125R

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby billbofagends » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:11 pm

kevmean wrote:Be very careful when checking resistance on any item to make sure you take into account any resistance of the actual test meter leads ;) you might find if you put the leads together that your meter will read 0.6 just through it's own leads ;)


Good shout. For some reason I thought my multimeter read 0 ohms through the test leads but it reads 0.5. Given that, seems my stator windings are in spec on the resistance front. Shame I've already taken it out the bike :roll:

What I don't understand is why no AC voltage with the engine running. Rotor is all intact and very magnetic. Unless I need to go back to multimeter school lOl

User avatar
Maz
Site Admin
Posts: 8591
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby Maz » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:41 am

You did of course set your meter to read AC volts didn't you ?
Mithered ta death.
92 MB
96 S2T
98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

User avatar
barney
Posts: 3707
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:10 pm
Current ride: Buell ulysses
Location: Telford

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby barney » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:14 am

billbofagends wrote:Hi folks
A weird thing happened while investigating above. While running on the drive, I had a puff of something, not sure it was smoke under the air box. It carried on running fine but I shut it off quick. It fired back up ok but getting a few wisps of smoke from same area. Doesn't smell electrical but a little disconcerting.


Cheers

Have you identified what has caused the "smoke " :shock:
Does sound as if your stator is within spec, so should be ok .
that leaves a Wiring loom fault or R/R failure to cause no AC voltage
Buell Ulysses XB12X 06/08

billbofagends
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:02 pm
Current ride: 1125R

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby billbofagends » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:25 am

Maz wrote:You did of course set your meter to read AC volts didn't you ?


Yep, I'm sure I did. For sake of my sanity I might wack it back on and retest.

billbofagends
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:02 pm
Current ride: 1125R

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby billbofagends » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:31 pm

barney wrote: Have you identified what has caused the "smoke " :shock:
Does sound as if your stator is within spec, so should be ok .
that leaves a Wiring loom fault or R/R failure to cause no AC voltage


Short answer is no. Cables down to stator are in good order and there isn't that classic electrical burning smell in the area. It was more like a hose popping off and dumping something on the hot motor. It was quite a hot day when it happened and I could hear the fuel starting to boil in the frame and it was pushing petrol through the vent hose.

I'm gonna put the stator back on and run it to see what happens. I need to sanity check my stator AC readings anyway.

Is there an easy way to identify whether you have the earlier or later rotor/stator set up? I read somewhere 08s were more likely to pop r/r and 09-10s burnt stators. My bike was assembled Dec 08, VIN indicates 09 model and it's on a 2010 reg plate!

The r/r in mine is the Ducati version if that helps identify.

Jazzbutcher
Posts: 1568
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm
Current ride: Buell 1125R

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby Jazzbutcher » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:26 pm

billbofagends wrote:
barney wrote: Have you identified what has caused the "smoke " :shock:
Does sound as if your stator is within spec, so should be ok .
that leaves a Wiring loom fault or R/R failure to cause no AC voltage


Short answer is no. Cables down to stator are in good order and there isn't that classic electrical burning smell in the area. It was more like a hose popping off and dumping something on the hot motor. It was quite a hot day when it happened and I could hear the fuel starting to boil in the frame and it was pushing petrol through the vent hose.

I'm gonna put the stator back on and run it to see what happens. I need to sanity check my stator AC readings anyway.

Is there an easy way to identify whether you have the earlier or later rotor/stator set up? I read somewhere 08s were more likely to pop r/r and 09-10s burnt stators. My bike was assembled Dec 08, VIN indicates 09 model and it's on a 2010 reg plate!

The r/r in mine is the Ducati version if that helps identify.


If you have the airbox bottom off check the engine breather, it just slots in about 2 inches from the rear & the little foam filter that's in the end can clog with oil & drip onto the engine. Just take the foam bit out & clean it. It's worth doing anyway even if it isn't that.
Hope you get it sorted.
Ride Safe & Stay between the hedgerows.

User avatar
kevmean
Posts: 7229
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:28 pm
Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind

Re: 1125R charging questions

Postby kevmean » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:27 pm

billbofagends wrote:
barney wrote: Have you identified what has caused the "smoke " :shock:
Does sound as if your stator is within spec, so should be ok .
that leaves a Wiring loom fault or R/R failure to cause no AC voltage


Short answer is no. Cables down to stator are in good order and there isn't that classic electrical burning smell in the area. It was more like a hose popping off and dumping something on the hot motor. It was quite a hot day when it happened and I could hear the fuel starting to boil in the frame and it was pushing petrol through the vent hose.

I'm gonna put the stator back on and run it to see what happens. I need to sanity check my stator AC readings anyway.

Is there an easy way to identify whether you have the earlier or later rotor/stator set up? I read somewhere 08s were more likely to pop r/r and 09-10s burnt stators. My bike was assembled Dec 08, VIN indicates 09 model and it's on a 2010 reg plate!

The r/r in mine is the Ducati version if that helps identify.

08 will have a blue frame , 09 model will be black frame.
2001 X1 2009 1125CR 2006 Uly X3 2010 Uly a fully Maz'd S1 and a 1991 RS1200 Westwind.


Return to “Technical Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brandwatch [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest