It is currently 18 Apr 2024 16:03

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: XB12Ss sluggish
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2022 18:08 

Current ride: XB12S
Hi all

I have a 2009 XB12Ss Lightning Long which is a one owner from new machine with just 4k miles. The bike is completely unmodified and pretty much as it left the showroom. However, it feels a bit 'lethargic' as in it doesnt feel like it has much get up and go - certainly not what I'd expect for a 1200 at least. It doesnt misfire or anything but just doesnt pick up like it should

I also have an '03 XB12S which has a Remus exhaust, covered 16k miles and a standard engine. I rode it today for the first time in quite a while and it suprised how spritely it felt, open the throttle and it instantly picks up and goes with no hesitation whatsoever - just how I'd expect a 1200 to go.

Comparing the two the 12S is considerably more responsive and quicker than the LL! So, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with a sluggish 1200 Buell? The LL could do with a service as I believe they're the original spark plugs but the plugs shouldnt be knackered after 4k miles! It has fresh fuel too

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

Post subject: Re: XB12Ss sluggish
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2022 22:07 

Current ride: X1 2001
try a TPS reset , look in how to section :yup:

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2022 07:05 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
:yup: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13
as it is standard ,could also check that the exhaust actuator / cable /motor is still working and not seized up with standing and so little use .
also did note that this bike is 09 ,if it is the same as uly ,they fitted smaller headers on later bikes .

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2022 21:51 

Thanks for the replies, guys. The TPS reset is a good suggestion. I have noticed how lumpy it is at low throttle input, as suggested in the link as a symptom so I think that is a great place to start.

With regards to your suggestion, Barney - if the actuator in the exhaust is free is it posible to move by hand?

Thanks again

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2022 06:48 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
here is a links showing exhaust actuator working .
https://youtu.be/1mit5L9SKt0

by now most owners have disconected the cable or have an after market exhaust, without actuator fitted .

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022 10:43 

Current ride: 2008 Uly xt
Your standard exhaust has a catalyst, the 4mm smaller headers are to warm it up quicker from cold.
My 08 Uly XT was in the Emporium for poor running 12 months before I got it, and later for a 10k service.
Next owner fitted a Remus but couldn’t get it to run right.
Stupidly I bought the thing...
Barely rideable at low revs, disappointingly flat at high revs.
Maz said he could get it to run the way it left the factory, but I would still be disappointed.
It’s down to the DDFI3 in the ecu being made to meet emissions regs rather than power, and you can’t change it.
2006 brochure says 100hp and 81lb/ft of torque.
2010 brochure says 93hp and 77lbs/ft...
Apparently I should have bought a 2001 X1...

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022 11:15 

Current ride: 2008 Uly xt
The low revs problem turned out to be a hole in the exhaust next to the lambda sensor.
I spotted it starting it with with the seat off rushing for an mot.
Exhaust putty and 3,000 rpm limit got it through the mot and another 50 miles until it fell off.
The difference with the putty was amazing, although it was actually only useable.
“Is it a 2008? They all do that Sir!”
I took the header off to weld it, but both pots had already been welded, and there was a new 4” crack that hadn’t started leaking...
So I got an earlier header and standard exhaust of eBay (the 08 onwards Remus won’t fit the earlier headers) and with a std map from Pash, thanks again, It is now useable, but as you say very disappointing for a 1200.
Of coarse 249kg with a full tank, panniers and Trex crash cage can’t help.... Sorry I weighed it now.

With ever reducing speed limits and congested roads I can see why sportsters are so popular.
I was lent one the othe week for a 250 mile round trip to Donnington Park for the Big one.
Three laps of the track and back by the Cat and Fiddle on someone else’s bike I’d never ridden before, pretty much all at car speeds I was impressed with the engine and the handling.
Although when I’ been out with sportsters I do another 40 miles or so on local scratching roads to remind myself why I bought a Buell not a Harley.
Still rather spend a day on a MX track day, if some tw.. hadn’t moved next door to the local one and complained about the dust and noise...
Should have have bought a Yamaha...

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2022 09:14 

Thank you all for your replies, and apologies for such a delayed reply

So, it would seem "that's just the way it is" then. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed it. It is a shame though as the bike itself is a joy to ride - comfortable, nimble, and just great fun! The emissions mapping and smaller headers spoil what is otherwise a decent engine.

I am tempted to sell it next year though as I find myself using the other XB12S more as its just a much more lively beast. But we'll see........