It is currently 18 Apr 2024 03:03

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: XB12XT Front Brake Disk
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2022 15:08 

Current ride: XB12XT
Passed the MOT but a comment about front brake effort variation. You can feel this through the brake lever but it doesn't affect performance.

Thinking of the following, in order of trying, all feedback gratefully received!

1. Try to measure disk runout with the wheel in place; I have a bike lift that picks up via the silencer.
1A. Measure disk thickness in a few places.
2. Deglaze the disk surface with emery paper/flap wheel.
3. Put the new pads in as the existing are getting low.
4. Buy a new disk.

Any have a suggestion for a good replacement disk? Could the existing one be straightened if bent?

There is one at £99.99 on Ebay made by Comet. I think EBC does one too, £177 from Wemoto.

A

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2022 20:29 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
disk is a floating disk ( or should be ) so trying to measure run out could be.... challenging
de glaze if required and fit new pads
then use front brake ...hard and don't use the front brake like a handbrake on a car at traffic lights to stop you rolling back , this I belive can cause a pulsating feel to the brake .

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2022 23:00 

Current ride: BMW F900 XR
I can highly recommend the EBC disk. If you do have to consider replacement, you may also want to consider replacing or updating the mounting hardware, not cheap though the older style (with springs) can be done with individual parts.
https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/artikel.asp?mc=1&aid=11928&cid=10052&s=&a= or
https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/artikel.asp?mc=1&aid=61950&cid=0&s=kit&a=

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022 08:26 

Current ride: XB12XT
Thanks both.

Didn’t realise the disk is floating, my bad!

I’ll admit to riding slowly, so I’ll have to speed up so I can brake harder!

A

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022 09:32 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
problem I find on country roads is ,if you read the road ahead and just roll off the throttle for the bends , the engine braking does most of the work for you ( 80-60 ) , so you only need a little bit of light front braking ,
if I recall ebc HH pads are better at self cleaning the disc and stopping / reducing build up of deposits .
just need to USE the front brake HARD from time to time to kinda, clean things up.
Also over time the springs for the front disc can become clogged up with brake dust and seize up then the disc won't float , I got some new springs from Twin MC only a few euro each , just need to fit them now when weather warmer , postage was a lot more, so need to pad the order out to make it cost effective :yup:

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022 09:36 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Just a tip that works most times.
If the disc wasn't or isn't floating, try cleaning the floaty bits (can't remember what the tech name is). Put a long nut & bolt through the middle, lock it with a nut & get your drill & spin with lots of WD 40 or other easing lube. That should bring the float back.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022 11:17 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Sorry I was thinking of normal floating discs. Sorry, with the Buell just give the springs and their respective holes/washers/spacers a proper deep clean and get all the seating/mating points very clean. You should be able to feel a little play at all mounting points when fully tightened. I've also found that the disc bolts don't need to be as tight as recommended, mine are only just nipped tight & are copper greased as well the spacers. I always get a little bit of fling off the grease but I just wipe it off, after one or two rides it's gone. Seems to work fine on mine & I mainly use the front brake.