It is currently 07 Oct 2024 00:26

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: XB12XT rear brake bleed
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2024 16:13 

I just can't seem to get the air out of the system on my rear brake (Ulysses XB12XT). I have bled and bled but no joy. The system must be leaking somewhere I guess? All hoses and connections look good and clean (no leakage). The only place that looks wet with fluid is the beed nipple on the caliper. Could this be the source of my frustration? I'd like to replace the bleed screw to be sure. However, as it's a Buell branded caliper I guess the bleed screw is an imperial size? Can anyone advise what size I need to get?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2024 20:06 

Current ride: X1 2001
not 100% sure but i think they are re branded Nissin calipers
so a good chance it will be metric

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2024 20:09 

Current ride: X1 2001
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23641&p=310534&hilit=rear+caliper#p310534

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2024 20:14 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
do a google/ youtube search , have a look at, reverse bleeding.
or if you have put plenty of fluid through the system . leave the cap off the reservoir and just gently operate the brake only need a few mm of travel and watch for bubbles rising in reservoir repeat until bubbles stop , might need to leave it a few hours or over night and do same again ( air is always going to try to get to the highest point )

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2024 13:47 

Current ride: '99 Cyclone M2
:yt:

Had the same problem with my M2. The master cylinder moves so little fluid it cant push the air through the pipes fast enough to beat bouyancy and it just floats back to the highest point.

I used a Gunson Eazibleed to push fluid through from the caliper nipple back and it did it first time. A big syringe can do it too if you can keep the tube on the end of it and make sure you dont push air in. Brake fluid can make it too slippery to stay on the end of the syringe, especially DOT 5 like on the M2. :evil:

Cheers
Stot

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2024 14:01 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
Stot wrote:

Had the same problem with my M2. The master cylinder moves so little fluid it cant push the air through the pipes fast enough to beat bouyancy and it just floats back to the highest point.

I used a Gunson Eazibleed to push fluid through from the caliper nipple back and it did it first time. A big syringe can do it too if you can keep the tube on the end of it and make sure you dont push air in. Brake fluid can make it too slippery to stay on the end of the syringe, especially DOT 5 like on the M2. :evil:

Cheers
Stot

...don't forget to keep an eye on the level in the reservoir, it will be rising not dropping! A second syringe comes in handy for sucking the excess out.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2024 08:15 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
rik wrote:
Stot wrote:

Cheers
Stot

...don't forget to keep an eye on the level in the reservoir, it will be rising not dropping! A second syringe comes in handy for sucking the excess out.

:yup: