It is currently 30 Sep 2024 00:15

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 14:08 

Any ideas - i am suffering a creamy oil substance coming from a breather that exits from i believe behind the primary (under and to the left of the starter) and runs across the engine and up into the right side of the rear sub frame. This creammy oil then pukes out the end and then flows down the sub frame, onto the belt which then flings it onto the right side of my tyre (not good).

Any ideas what could be causing this???

Can i get away with just routing this breather to my catch can for the cylinder head breathers???

Regards

Dom.

p.s the bike is a 2001 Buell X1.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 14:18 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Catch can will be ideal, some engines breath heavier than others :)

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 14:29 
I'd rather race a Honda 90

The cause is emulsification of the oil, it's likely that you're doing short runs and not getting the engine hot enough for long enough to 'burn' it off.... as Ash says, a catch can will help, this will stop it spewing all over the bike..

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 14:32 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
What you're describing is path of cam-chest & crank-case breather, Dom. It passes from an elbow out of the rear of the cam cover casing just ahead of the final drive pulley (out of view if you have a sprocket cover fitted) up and back under the starter but it then goes on up to the oil tank (highest fitting)....
The transmission breather however is a clearly visible outlet on top of the 'gearbox' area, to the rear of the starter, pointing back and up at the battery, and that should just have a hose running up to the rear subframe area, breathing to atmosphere.
Need to establish exactly which breather it is that's puking....

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 15:10 

It definately runs up the rear sub frame and breathes to atmosphere.

I will look tonight again tonight and refer to manual for a proper name for what it breathes for....

Thanks so much for the posts/replies already.

And yes, i do fairly short runs, however the engine does gets to temp - i tend to run from home to cafe (20mins) have a cuppa and then back again, i guess this counts as short runs. I guess partly as i've had this problem for a little while and oil on the back tyre ain't a great confidence booster. I must say, the bike didn't do this when i first got the bike a few years ago. I have been told that "maybe the sprocket shaft seal (behind alternator) leaking oil and or pressurising the primary/transmission causing excess oil carry over".

Dom.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 15:24 

Redhill Buell-ist wrote:
It definately runs up the rear sub frame and breathes to atmosphere.
Dom.

And, as you say, on the belt (RH) side...then it's the trans breather....
Check the oil level in the trans...if it's too high and also milky (as the puke would suggest) then it's probably water getting in down your clutch cable....
If that's the case, drain and renew the primary oil and cable-tie the bellows around the cable adjuster, top and bottom.
If it's just too high, then you may have a leaking crank oil seal as suggested...it is using any engine oil?

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 15:36 

Its just had a full 10,000 mile service so the trans level should be spot on. And teh guy that did it said there was no apparent sign of engine oil/trans oil contamination and the engine does not have an overly high use of its oil.

Bike never see's water so probably not water in the clutch cable.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 15:47 

Redhill Buell-ist wrote:
Its just had a full 10,000 mile service so the trans level should be spot on. And teh guy that did it said there was no apparent sign of engine oil/trans oil contamination and the engine does not have an overly high use of its oil.

Bike never see's water so probably not water in the clutch cable.

'should be' is a leading phrase! Is it spot on? Does the guy know his Buells / Sportsters?
When did this start? Since the recent service.......?

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 19:18 
The Nagged Hubby

If it never see's water and is aircooled then how did the water get in the oil, water has emulsified with the oil period.

In fairness, only a small amount will bugger the oil, do you use a jet washer?

Nate.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 19:23 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Short runs of 20 minutes probably won't be enough to burn it off and frankly is a crime, buell engines hate lots of short trips and need thier legs stretched with a decent thrash now and the :) n

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 23:04 

Nate - it never see's water, period. So no, never jet was - as its not good for any bike let alone a pre-menstral creation such as a Buell lOl lOl

Took it for the full on service with the aim that the fella might find the cure - he didn't but i now have.

The whole long ride thing is a bit chicken and egg - can't take for long ride as rear tyre gets caked in oil, but short rides aren't burning this crap off???hhmmmm.

I first noticed it this summer when i rode to work in the city (an hours ride), when i got there i noticed oil drips and oil on the belt. By the time i got home that evening there was oil all over the right side of the tyre. My concern was where it was coming from but now i have sussed that question i feel better its not pissing out of the motor.

All i wanted to know is if it is possible to live with this problem if i route the breather to my catch can. Or is it a sign of a much bigger problem??? :? :?

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010 23:31 
Site Admin

Emulsified oil is probably down to the short runs.
However, X1's never dump oil from the trans breather unless there's a problem ie. crank seal, slipping clutch, wrong oil or you're a Craig Jones type that enjoys near vertical wheelies :?

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010 00:52 

Well, looks like it must be the crank seal then causing a build up of pressure in the trans - is this a big job to replace (i.e can i do it) or are special tools required or is it best to give it to someone who knows the job. I'm a fairly competent mechanic but never done a major job on the buell. I only ask as having had the service done the wife has got the major arse that the bike needs even more money spent on it and is reaching for the matches!!!

Would it be a good idea to re-route the breather pipe to the catch can anyway for safety sake or not needed if seal replaced?

Cheers for the responses so far, been very helpful.

P.S I'm no Craig Jones but i do like to give it a nice handful - after all, isn't that what riding bikes is all about.....enjoying yourself!!!! lOl lOl lOl

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010 05:46 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=313

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010 10:19 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
:o
UKBEG forum has a "How-To" section?

:couch:

(sorry Pash - had to, really)