It is currently 30 Sep 2024 13:27

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011 22:53 

The bit that bugs me is that like many others ,due to uk price hikes forced on the dealers by HD ,i was looking into getting parts shipped from the US and now they are trying thier best to stop us.It stinks and puts another nail in the coffin that is Buell ownership.Their doing wrong by the past customers and their dealer network as being on the front line the dealers will get all the grief and then eventually suffer reduced revenue as people go elsewhere or just park the bikes up and turn to other makes.Sad !.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011 23:40 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
I too have received an email stating the same, from Bill Sparks at Lakeside HD, I queried if it also applies to their ebay sales etc....It does! I have used them when something interesting comes up on ebay but try to use the UK network with a maybe misguided belief that if we don't they won't bother either. I know Black Bear have been great and I can't complain about Shaws, but it's a frigging pain with the long waiting time for parts and the continual HD price hikes.
I guess HD can't give a stuff if we never aspire to move "up" to a Harley. We are too small a owners group for them to worry about. Plenty of bankers etc out there. :roll:

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011 00:11 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Martinwill wrote:
had a similar mail off LSHD giving you till october i think(deleted it)
I wonder if its a world wide thing or just uk/eu.
f 'in robbing bum bandits.

Nope not Oct remember the yanks put the date the opposite way to us so 07-10-11 is the 10th of July

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011 00:14 
has it got a pulse?

Current ride: FUBAR...Enough said!
Hmmm, might see if I can find someone over that neck of the woods :!: :)

You only need two bikes in life-an S1 and a Multistrada!

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011 08:16 

Current ride: Mojo
Last month I tried to buy something from a US Hot Dog dealer which was on ebay, and was told that they no longer shipped to the UK. This surprised me at the time because I had bought from them before.
We have one or two US based members on here who I reckon are going to get a flood of requests. I don't think it would be fair to put on these guys, but they might be prepared to help out in return for some commission?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011 08:35 

Just out of interest. How many of theses parts have a pattern alternative? Or a better European made bit? - I'll bet Maz knows.

A few years ago the US "arms" industry stared to make bits "difficult to obtain" - it's backfired on them.

Maybe we should start promoting these guys with a "where to" section. We have Albert666, Spondon440, Barnett (cables) - back in the good old days - I bought a Buell not an HD.

I've found Buell service bits in the big Harley "chrome" catalogues too.

F*ck H/D.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011 08:53 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
We are only talking about HD stopping the selling of spares across borders...

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011 09:08 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
If you ask me: it's not HD - probably the franchisees which complain and HD may be legally bound to react. And, at some level, it's really ironical: the manufacturers act globally, buying their crap from the cheapest source worldwide, as soon as the customer starts to learn from them, they try their best to stop him doing so.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011 18:35 

I wouldn't dream of buying your normal run of the mill parts from the States to be honest but equal distance in opposite directions from my house are :maz: and Manchester Harley and since Maz stocks more parts than anyone and needs our support thats simple enough.

What is interesting from say St Pauls are the bits they put up to clear, pair of new M2 forks for instance £90, by the reply from them that I got it doesn't sound like they will give up without a fight.

Andy

Is it true that Harley are stopping US dealers selling parts to the UK after August? its a rumour thats going around but a friend who deals with Lakeshore has been told so.

Regards

Andy

Dear Andy,

I am sorry to confirm that Harley-Davidson Motor company announced a new policy to the dealer network that as of 8/1/11 it will consider sales by domestic H-D dealers to ANY individuals or dealers outside the U.S of any genuine or licensed product to be non-retail sales and a violation of their dealer contracts. They also announced a policy prohibiting dealers from listing or selling genuine or licensed product on third party websites i.e. e-bay, Amazon etc. They will also consider a dealers own site, a third party site, if not approved by Harley-Davidson. Our own shopping site www.stpaulharley.com is approved by H-D.

These new policies are highly controversial and may be arguable. We certainly do not feel it is fair. Either to us, who have spent years building a customer service oriented business to promote the brand worldwide or to the tremendous customers we serve. Until then please stay in touch and continue to purchase from our website and we will let you know how things turn out.

Best Wishes,

Tom Giannetti
President/CEO
St. Paul Harley-Davidson
Wild Prairie Harley-Davidson

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011 19:28 

gunter wrote:
And, at some level, it's really ironical: the manufacturers act globally, buying their crap from the cheapest source worldwide, as soon as the customer starts to learn from them, they try their best to stop him doing so.
tbh - I'm now going straight to China for stuff a fair amount now.

Wont be long before "they" cotton on and start producing better than OEM HD stuff - cheaper. Yes China does do quality - if you spec' it. Maybe I should mention it to Taiwan!? They were very interested in the LiFePO4 filled H/D battery case.

Like to see H/D stop China. "Official Hahry Davisson Parrs" Best Quarryty.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011 18:54 

Current ride: XB12Ss
So it may be this sort of 3 party intervention that maybe a short term answer for shipping from US ,
http://myus2.myus.com/default.aspx

I have not as yet used them , but will post a update soon :idea:

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011 22:03 
:roll: I really don't understand some of you guy's.
I ran a small business here for approx. 10years supplying new & used Buell spares trying to get your support to keep it going but I bet only a handful of members know or care :coat: who I was:sad1: not that it matters now.
This company was not set up to make huge amounts of money,(cause it didn't), but it was there to keep the marque on the road especially for owners that did not have a lot of money to spend. Used parts were priced according to condition and new parts in line with HD.
To be honest I think whoever runs a Buell should be worried because if the main dealers are shutting down and parts becoming harder to get hold of, more independants will stop supplying or move to a different marque.
What I would like you all to do is to support your local independant parts supplier/dealer and stop chasing the cheapest prices unless this is your local.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011 00:23 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
woz wrote:
:roll: I really don't understand some of you guy's.
I ran a small business here for approx. 10years supplying new & used Buell spares trying to get your support to keep it going but I bet only a handful of members know or care :coat: who I was:sad1: not that it matters now.
This company was not set up to make huge amounts of money,(cause it didn't), but it was there to keep the marque on the road especially for owners that did not have a lot of money to spend. Used parts were priced according to condition and new parts in line with HD.
To be honest I think whoever runs a Buell should be worried because if the main dealers are shutting down and parts becoming harder to get hold of, more independants will stop supplying or move to a different marque.
What I would like you all to do is to support your local independant parts supplier/dealer and stop chasing the cheapest prices unless this is your local.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011 05:47 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
woz wrote:

Sounds great. Show me those independent dealers in Germany. There ain't none.

And where from should these get their parts from, if not from H-D? So how would they be cheaper then? And it's not "chasing the cheapest prices", it's chasing a 2 or 3 times higher price compared to the U.S - even after I paid a tremendous extra charge for (individual) shipping. No one will be able to convince me, that mass shipping and stockkeeping will raise the same costs, so German prices are nothing else than a rip off. The situation would be completely different if U.S prices would be somehow comparable. This is a completely H-D internal problem, ignoring the fact that customers are capable to use the internet for research and ordering. And, as usual, white collar idiot CEOs always react the same way: let's kick the customer, he deserves it, as he is cheap (won't want to pay our prices) and stupid (buys our product, that little blockhead, hahaha...).

The situation inside the EC/EEC is somewhat different to that in the U.S., because of the latest block exemption regulations (http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors ... ation.html), which (at least in Germany) bind the manufacturers to provide spare parts, techical information and tools to independent workshops. In theory, at least.

Those few who sell used parts are wreckers, and are even more overprized than H-D. Status of spare parts is often more than questionable, if I see some descriptions and the accompanied pictures.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2011 12:05 

Frankly, I'm giving up on my XB and selling it before it becomes untenable to own it any longer.
Living up in Scotland I'm too far from any of the independents and my local dealers (Edinburgh) are actually pretty good for getting parts etc, but they are hamstrung by the main company.
The bikes are too quirkly for any old mechanic to work on and the dealer's rates are too high.
More and more parts are NLA, and trying to find imperial fasteners is a pain in the ass.

Enjoy riding the bike and try to stick by it, but the support is getting bad now and will only get worse.
If I lived near Maz, then it'd be a different story.

So, I'm selling up and buying a newer tuber which I can still get parts for - a Ducati Monster S2R 1000.