It is currently 30 Sep 2024 15:18

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Long trip coming up
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 12:08 
Hi guys,

I will be taking my Uly and my girlfriend on holiday in Brittany, France, in a couple of weeks.

Given that this will be my longest ever trip to date (400km each way) + I have no big experience with moto-touring (and most importantly my gf does not appreciate it as much as I do) + I have been a Uly owner for just 6 months... I want to prepare to ensure that this will be as smooth as possible.

Hence, I have a few Q I'd like to ask:

- Besides the usual oil level, brake-pads, brake-fluid, tyre checks, what else would you suggest I check and replace over the next fortnight?

- I was thinking of buying a belt and taking it with me, just in case.
In your experience, what are the typical signs of a belt about to pass away?

- I have 2 soft panniers (Oxford first-time, 48L) and a large backpack that I'll bungee to the tail-piece.
We are off for a week and I'd like to maximise luggage capacity, suggestions?

I even thought of buying a metal rack to provide additional support as opposed to the existing one.
Found this http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/images/models/128.jpg , any other you'd recommend?

Thanks once again
: )

Post subject: Re: Long trip coming up
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 12:21 
i'd also take a mobile phone which works in Europe and buy some Buell Assistance cover,

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 12:25 
mcrbuelligan wrote:
i'd also take a mobile phone which works in Europe and buy some Buell Assistance cover,

Yes we'll have French SIMs. Suggestions for European roadside assistance?
Last time the RAC ripped me £30 for a weekend.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 12:29 

Done France from Northern Ireland twice now on the Uly. First trip on the Uly and I had the same questions as yourself. I got a load of useful advice on here but ultimately the best was make sure you have the bike serviced and buy some good breakdown cover.
I had travelled Europe before but for some reason with the Uly I got a bit panicky and thought about taking a new belt but while at the local dealers I was asked if I had ever taken a spare chain, did I know how to change the belt and did I have the right tools to change the belt or indeed somewhere to store said tools? My answer was No to which I received the reply " well why the feck are you spending money on a belt that you don't need" this reply was from another customer but was readily agreed by the dealer.
I was also travelling with the wife who loves bikes but loves her comfort more. I would highly recommend hard luggage. Easier to pack and remove from bike at hotels B&B,also great if like me you have a foot down on gravel then bike down on random back lane in Roscoff. Also leaves more room for the missus.
All in all just go and enjoy. Good luck.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 12:31 

Best deal I could get at the time was with vehicle rescue direct. Take it out for as many days as you need, but shop around.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 12:34 
I pay £42 for a year with full euro cover with Buell Assistance Number is 01737 815 179, you get it free when you buy a Buell from new. No brainer when it came to renew.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 13:36 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
johnnyguk78 wrote:
I had travelled Europe before but for some reason with the Uly I got a bit panicky and thought about taking a new belt but while at the local dealers I was asked if I had ever taken a spare chain

It took us two weeks last year to find and get a new belt for a Uly owner, stranded in Poland on his way to Romania. I wonder how long it would have taken to find him a new chain. Might have been ages, cause we all know, chain supply is below zero in Europe, just in opposite to belt supply ...

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 13:41 
Johnny I have the same sort of pre-trip anxiety, nothing major has happened on my Uly although I am afraid of it letting me down.. nonetheless, did London to Lille last month and everything went fine!
So I should just relax..

As for the panniers, I can't really afford the hard ones atm so I'm going to have to arrange something.. buying a luggage rack might be the best thing for now.
I did manage to carry a bag, tent etc before on the existing (plastic) rack although I'm afraid of overloading it... I will try to load it up this week to see how far I can push it.

If anyone is selling one like the Ventura, or this GIVI frame (which would be perfect!) http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... /3745/474/

please let me know!

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 14:23 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
If you can come to Bristol on the Uly you can borrow my hardcases and racks, plus I will lend you a spare belt. I'll be wanting them back of course.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 15:10 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
You can prolly get breakdown insurance through your insurance company and while there check that you are covered to ride on the continent :yup:

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 15:14 

Davidws wrote:
Hi guys,

- Besides the usual oil level, brake-pads, brake-fluid, tyre checks, what else would you suggest I check and replace over the next fortnight?

Can i suggest one of these Cleaners
Don't want injector probs like i recently had :roll: lOl
I would also fit new Plugs and check you Plug leads for any abrasions.
Palm and ECM spy lead would be a luxury. :)

Here is a link to Harley Dealers in Bretagne that might be good to note down.

Have a good one. :yup:

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 15:36 
pash wrote:
If you can come to Bristol on the Uly you can borrow my hardcases and racks, plus I will lend you a spare belt. I'll be wanting them back of course.

I can't believe there are still good people like you out there...
would love to accept your offer, could you do a checkup as well? (for ££ of course)

Quote:
Here is a link to Harley Dealers in Bretagne that might be good to note down.

Thanks Comino! Will save that and bring it along!

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 15:41 

Davidws wrote:
I can't believe there are still good people like you out there...

Worth his weight in gold the man is a saint. :yup:

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 16:10 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
Pash is my Hero :yup: :worthy:

Many peeps have done long trips on Buells and have covered over time large milages with relatively few faults. One problem with forums is the amount of negative vibes that always seem to dominate the comments. It's easier to moan than praise.

Pash has always been a top guy and I don't know how his wife puts up with his Buelling enthusiasm. There are quite a few folks that go the extra mile on this forum to help out which makes it the good place that it is. I'm sure that there is a link on here somewhere to some good biker friendly accomodation in Normany/Brittany area and bear in mind that it's not too far from civilisation anyway :D

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2011 16:56 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I don't do checkups, but can lend you a Palm with ECMSpy.