It is currently 30 Sep 2024 17:32

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Long trip coming up
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011 18:32 

coppersaucepipe wrote:
crazycamel wrote:
As you know I had a belt go on my Uly in Germany very recently. It took the local HD dealer 5 days to get a replacement.
I'm off to the Continent again next monrth and I'm seriously thinking of getting a spare belt - and working out a way of lifting the back wheel - and practising the belt change at home - before setting out - with tools etc.
Having said all that - I went to the South of France and back last year - absolutely no probs - Uly went a treat.
The offer of a spare belt and luggage is bloody great! Even if you can't do the repair yourself - you could save yourself a long wait in the middle of nowhere!
How about developing a UK BEG Spare Belt Scheme - financed & maintained by members?
I'm working on an inflatable ball idea to lift the bike fractionally - lightweight/low tech - could work? Will let you know how the experiment goes.

What's wrong with just pulling the bike onto the side stand and getting a mate to hold it? Or lob a couple of bricks under the swinging arm? Or use a ratchet strap hooked from the pillion peg hanger, over the seat to something convenient?

No need to remove the back wheel at all. Loosen off the axel on to the taper, remove the pully cover and jockey wheel. Unbolt the rear foot rest hanger and secton of swinging arm. Fit new belt and reassemble.

The hard bit is carrying the correct list of tools and a 22mm socket to undo the rear axel. I also have a small torque wrench in my roll so that I can tighten it up again.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2011 18:14 

Current ride: 08 Uly
I did about the same length of trip last weekend. As someone above said, for the Uly this is just a pop to the local shops. :)

I went to the Nurburgring last year and took a spare belt and all tools then, but this time I just gambled that if I got unlucky I'd get trailered home.

Have a fantastic time. :yup:

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011 16:19 
....and we're back!
Trip went great, Uly didn't skip a beat and we also had some fun on the unpaved roads of Belle Ile en Mer :)
I must say that I love my bike even more now, might have to get her a present next month

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011 16:28 
Site Admin

Quote:
might have to get her a present next month

Make sure it's a FS tensioner :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011 18:00 
Will do! Just need to get my paycheck :D

By the way.. I wanted to ask this to some savvy Buell person:
while cruising on the motorway at around 65/70 mph with stable throttle, it would often miss a beat, almost as if the engine chocked for a split second and then picked up again.
It's not like I noticed a drop in RPMs or the bike losing speed, but there were some frequent gaps which felt as if I stepped on the back brake for an instant and then let go.... or as if the timing of the ignition was not 100% "synced"... kinda hard to describe.
Nothing major, but it did kind of bother me. I can understand the gaps when the engine is cold, but this was after 50 miles and on..

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011 18:04 
has it got a pulse?

Current ride: FUBAR...Enough said!
Sounds to me like you need ECMSPY and helpful tips from Pash! ;)

You only need two bikes in life-an S1 and a Multistrada!

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011 18:13 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Davidws wrote:
....and we're back!

Now you can plan a real trip ;) .....see, any Buell will do long distance trips .........did 517miles on the X1 on Sunday again .........so folks don't be afraid to use them ;) the longer the trip the more the fun ;-)

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011 18:13 
Totally.. I would love to take a look at my mapping.
Performance is good but it definitely feels like there is room for burning tires at traffic lights.