It is currently 21 Sep 2024 12:36

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: uly tyres for road ?
PostPosted: 12 May 2012 07:06 

Current ride: harley mt and fxdx
my bike is on its way from Scotland (ulysses )
whats the tyre that will give best milage , i also run a big twin dyna this i use Avon Venoms with good results ie 8000 on a rear .

so anyone done good milage !!

john

PostPosted: 12 May 2012 08:43 

My last two rear tyres have been pirelli Angel ST and I have just replaced the front with the same. My mileage is probably not a great comparison as I do a 20 mile round trip most days in city traffic and any fun day out is normally two up. However I reckon I got about 6000 - 6500 and found them fantastic in both wet and dry.

I have heard horror stories of a rear Angel on an Ully being replaced after 3000 but also read reports of a Ully doing 18000. What I would say is when it goes it goes quick. Only last month I was invited out on a Sunday morning blast. I knew the tyre was on its way out but thought I would have at least a couple of 100 miles before I would have to avoid Police and replace. After a 30 mile hard blast and breakfast I returned to the bike and thought I had something stuck to the tyre and upon closer inspection I noticed it was the canvas showing. Needless to say that brought a swift end to the day and a more sedate ride home to have the tyre replaced.

I will most likely replace with Angels again as I find them great in all weathers.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: uly tyres for road ?
PostPosted: 12 May 2012 09:56 

Current ride: BMW F900 XR
Been very happy with the Avon Storm 2 Ultra's that I've now had on for last 18 months. Done 5000ish on these and have shown no sign of squaring off and still plenty of life left.

PostPosted: 12 May 2012 13:36 

Correction to my last. Checked with the mechanic and I actually got almost 8000 from my last angel.

PostPosted: 13 May 2012 11:57 
+1 for the Angels (oh and no 2 daughter really like the angel that shows up with a bit of wear 8-) )

PostPosted: 13 May 2012 21:36 

Current ride: Buell XB12X/Suzuki B
Bridgestone BT023s. I've had one on the rear for 5500 miles and the wear is neglible. Good grip but I live in Portugal so it's usually dry. Seems OK in the rain though. It's a triple compound on the rear.

PostPosted: 14 May 2012 09:34 
Don't know how well they suit the Uly

But I'm loving the Michelin pilot road 3's I've just fitted on the M2

PostPosted: 14 May 2012 10:34 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
have used Maxxis in the past on different bike and very good have a look at link viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14350
just depends what you want grip or mileage ?
my personal choice is grip cos don't do loads of miles a year and when i do tends to be brisk pace :yup: on A roads

PostPosted: 19 May 2012 12:13 
Running a Pirelli scorpion sync on the rear , no visible signs of undue wear ,
no probs with grip either , so far :D

PostPosted: 20 May 2012 11:58 

Current ride: 08 Uly
I've done about 500 miles on Michelin Pilot Road 3s on my XT. They're an excellent all-rounder in all weathers, and with the dual-compound should last longer than my old Diablo Stradas. The only downside is I don't feel the front bites quite as well on hard cornering compared to the Pirellis - they feel a bit more squirmy. The profile is less round than the Stradas, so perhaps that's why.

For spirited riding I'd probably go back to the Stradas to be honest. They were an excellent tyre in all respects except rear tyre longevity.

PostPosted: 22 May 2012 19:17 
You might find this short report from MCN useful ? http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... es-tested/

PostPosted: 22 May 2012 20:51 

I found the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Syncs excellent on the XB12X.

PostPosted: 26 May 2012 22:37 

Current ride: S1wl IronhorseSunday
how on earth can you give an honest and comprehensive appraisal of a modern tyres grip when your getting 5000+ from a rear :roll: ........you are riding well within the limits of that tyres capabilities regardless of whether its a sport or touring tyre.
As has been said so many times before on this subject, depends how ya ride ,where, and what you want the tyre to do
What I find bemusing is how you can get a modern tyre to 'squirm' when your getting these kind of mileages ........must be something wrong with set up, pressures.......coz you're sure as hell not giving the tyre a hard enough time to make it lose grip ........unless your riding soaking wet diesel splattered roads.
Michelin pilots, bt023, or similar sport touring tyres should give ample mileage and grip for standard use maybe even Maxxis but if you want grip, ie your stepping the bike out every where and its constantly squirreling and tying itself in knots you need a softer sportier tyre, 2ct, conti ra2, diablo etc.
Read the reviews but be prepared for more bullshit than anti wrinkle cream ads.
its a mine field ...good luck :yup:

PostPosted: 27 May 2012 23:15 

restone wrote:
how on earth can you give an honest and comprehensive appraisal of a modern tyres grip when your getting 5000+ from a rear :roll: ........you are riding well within the limits of that tyres capabilities regardless of whether its a sport or touring tyre.
As has been said so many times before on this subject, depends how ya ride ,where, and what you want the tyre to do
What I find bemusing is how you can get a modern tyre to 'squirm' when your getting these kind of mileages ........must be something wrong with set up, pressures.......coz you're sure as hell not giving the tyre a hard enough time to make it lose grip ........unless your riding soaking wet diesel splattered roads.
Michelin pilots, bt023, or similar sport touring tyres should give ample mileage and grip for standard use maybe even Maxxis but if you want grip, ie your stepping the bike out every where and its constantly squirreling and tying itself in knots you need a softer sportier tyre, 2ct, conti ra2, diablo etc.
Read the reviews but be prepared for more bullshit than anti wrinkle cream ads.
its a mine field ...good luck :yup:

Nonsense

PostPosted: 28 May 2012 08:14 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Most modern tyres are better than the ability of the average rider, just buy what ever you like. Personally I would recommend a sports touring tyre for the Uly. Bridgestone BT023s are good, Kev uses them and does big miles and also has no strips on the sides, also they are the tyre of choice for Ron Haslems race school ... so they are pretty handy in corners!

:)