It is currently 27 Sep 2024 15:15

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012 11:32 

Current ride: XB12X Ulysses
Help, poorly Buell! I've had a 2007 XB12X for 4 weeks and covered around 600 miles (the bike has now done 6200 miles) on my last 2 ride outs uly has cut out completely while riding. won't start at all. After switching off and back on again fan doesn't run. the main symptom is the engine management light flashes on and off constantly and the servo that drives the exhaust valve is repeatedly moving back and forth in sync with the engine light. The only modification i have previously made to the standard exhaust system, is to disconnect the cable from the servo motor and tie wrap it so the valve is in the open position, i have still left the connection to the motor (not sure that this is the problem though, as it has been running fine since i did this). Because the management light is on, and the rotor is constantly going the ecm won't prime the fuel and the result is the bike can't be started. I have tried reconnecting the valve cable to the motor, checked battery connections, turned ignition on and off countless times, Have also tried disconnecting battery (and grounding it). All to no avail, every time ignition is switched on, the same problem. The only other factor is that bike was being ridden in the rain the first time it cut out (luckily that time it restarted - second time i was well and truly stranded). Any suggestions?

After various research, I have tried the following. I haven't got a cable, or ECMSpy, but have tried bridging terminals 1 and 2 to try to find any trouble codes. Unless I am doing something wrong, that is not working either, all I get when I turn on the ignition is the same problem, the engine management light flashes on and off constantly (and rapidly) and the servo that drives the exhaust valve is repeatedly moving back and forth. So I still can't start the bike!!! I have also tried disconnecting the battery completely, switching the ignition to 'on' position, and holding down starter button for 60 seconds to drain any residual current, this hasn't worked either. I've checked battery terminals, and the earths to the frame under the seat, and behind the headlights, all feel tight and solid! I'm a bit stumped at the moment, any help greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012 11:49 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Might be worth trying swopping the relays about to see if the fault changes ................ also is there any signs that the seat has been pressing down on the ECU if so it could have damaged it internally.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012 12:46 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
The ECM cycles the exhaust valve once when it is powered up. Appearingly it's now rebooting continously. A knackered ECM might be one cause, but, as usual, all ground connections should be checked first.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012 21:35 
Think Pink

Current ride: Awesome Ulysses & X1
where are you in the notts area i live in newark ,i have ECM SPY running ,might be able to help out ,

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012 21:36 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Take a spare 12 ECM Willy. If you don't have one, I will post one over.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012 21:49 
Think Pink

cheers dude will keep you posted :4roz: :D

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012 17:33 

i'm in Mansfield, hop, skip, and a jump from Newark, if you're over this way anytime in the not too distant? I suspect one of the sensors, or EMC is kaput!

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012 18:28 
Think Pink

PhyllisUcker wrote:
i'm in Mansfield, hop, skip, and a jump from Newark, if you're over this way anytime in the not too distant? I suspect one of the sensors, or EMC is kaput!

you a have PM

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012 08:03 
Had this exact problem with mine and ECM spy did not help. I took it to Black Bear at Newmarket and they sorted it out in under two minutes.
Under your seat there are two large relays replace them both they only cost a fiver each chances are only one has gone but the other wont be far behind so do both
Black Bear knew this was the problem and went straight to it apparently its common but there have not been many postings on here for some reason.
However if your bike has an aftermarket pipe you might as well get someone to turn the exhaust valve motor off with ECM spy as you don't need it.
Your problem is not an ECM problem

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012 09:29 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
gibbsy wrote:
Had this exact problem with mine and ECM spy did not help. I took it to Black Bear at Newmarket and they sorted it out in under two minutes.
Under your seat there are two large relays replace them both they only cost a fiver each chances are only one has gone but the other wont be far behind so do both
Black Bear knew this was the problem and went straight to it apparently its common but there have not been many postings on here for some reason.
However if your bike has an aftermarket pipe you might as well get someone to turn the exhaust valve motor off with ECM spy as you don't need it.
Your problem is not an ECM problem

My first reply suggested trying the relays ;) hopefully that is all that's wrong but it was also a fairly common problem on some Ullys of the seat pressing on the ecu connectors if the riders were should we just say FB's lOl

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012 13:26 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
kevmean wrote:
a fairly common problem on some Ullys of the seat pressing on the ecu connectors if the riders were should we just say FB's lOl

or 6ft 6 and build like a brick outhouse :ner:
mine got the little bump stop on the ecu but still ended up cutting a hole in the seat to give a little extra clearance and fitting some packing pieces on the seat base where it touchs the frame :yup:

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012 15:06 

Thanks for your help guys. I have now got to the bottom of the problem (with some pointers from you, especially the guy that had exactly the same problem). The problem was, in fact, one of the relays in the fuse box. Thanks again, and no doubt I'll be back when I have another 'head scratcher'.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012 15:18 
Mr. Tourettes

[quote="PhyllisUcker"]Thanks for your help guys. I have now got to the bottom of the problem (with some pointers from you, especially the guy that had exactly the same problem). The problem was, in fact, one of the relays in the fuse box. Thanks again, and no doubt I'll be back when I have another 'head scratcher'.

Pleased you have it sorted.....stick around for the banter :yup:

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012 15:24 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Nice one gibbsy

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012 02:27 
pash wrote:
Nice one gibbsy

Cheers for once I got it right, it's nice to help rather than have to ask for help.
But if you have only renewed one relay make sure you do the other one as it won't be far behind going wrong like the first :D