It is currently 28 Sep 2024 20:22

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: OIL PUMP TEST RIG
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013 11:37 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
pash wrote:
So the pump is working at 20psi but as rik has already said, there are loases. The oil pressure at the other side of the filter is lower, the oil pressure at the entry to the pinion end of the crank is lower still, the pressure at the other side of the restriction is even lower and the pressure at the exit of the crank pin is even lower still.

The distribution of oil supplied by the pump is dependent on the losses of each parallel circuit. I am not sure how you will know how much oil is going to the big end.

the oil pump should be capable of delivering more than is required including losses with the surplus being returned to sump via Pressure Relief Valve
WILLYBUELL wrote:
hear what your saying nick ,to test oil pressure on our buells you take out the oil pressure switch out n plumb a gauge in where it was ,now this is after the oil filter ,so if my understanding is right the oil is now in a common gallery feeding the lifters ,top end,oil jets and and crank ,what ever your pressure reading is at the gauge this common gallery HAS to be at the measured pressure near as dam it ,now after the oil has passed the lifters it may not be at measured presssure or after passing through the 60 thou feed hole in thre end of the crank it may not be at measured pressure ,as i said earlrier in this thread we need to know what king of delivery the big end is getting :yup: :D :D

:yup: so just use variable speed elec motor to get required psi in circuit , will also be intersting how much flow at idle , AND if you could measure the current draw on the elec motor with cold oil and warm oil this could give a indication as to how much load in on the oil pump gear :idea:

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013 14:42 
Think Pink

Current ride: Awesome Ulysses & X1
barney wrote:
pash wrote:
So the pump is working at 20psi but as rik has already said, there are loases. The oil pressure at the other side of the filter is lower, the oil pressure at the entry to the pinion end of the crank is lower still, the pressure at the other side of the restriction is even lower and the pressure at the exit of the crank pin is even lower still.

The distribution of oil supplied by the pump is dependent on the losses of each parallel circuit. I am not sure how you will know how much oil is going to the big end.

the oil pump should be capable of delivering more than is required including losses with the surplus being returned to sump via Pressure Relief Valve
WILLYBUELL wrote:
hear what your saying nick ,to test oil pressure on our buells you take out the oil pressure switch out n plumb a gauge in where it was ,now this is after the oil filter ,so if my understanding is right the oil is now in a common gallery feeding the lifters ,top end,oil jets and and crank ,what ever your pressure reading is at the gauge this common gallery HAS to be at the measured pressure near as dam it ,now after the oil has passed the lifters it may not be at measured presssure or after passing through the 60 thou feed hole in thre end of the crank it may not be at measured pressure ,as i said earlrier in this thread we need to know what king of delivery the big end is getting :yup: :D :D

:yup: so just use variable speed elec motor to get required psi in circuit , will also be intersting how much flow at idle , AND if you could measure the current draw on the elec motor with cold oil and warm oil this could give a indication as to how much load in on the oil pump gear :idea:

See were your going barney .yes pump delivery cold n hot at around 1200 rpm would be nice info.if i use a hand drill that will turn at 1200 rpm i could slowly reduce the oil flow through the hand valve and see if or how badly the drill labours to turn the pump .sadly have a day job so some of this will take time .i have two engines one grumbly and two oil pump gears to assist fitting in the very near future .a good wank would be nice fromm time to time but too fucking tired to :rotfl: :rotfl: finnish these days .hey ho life goes on annnnd on annnnd on :rotfl:

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013 17:19 

Current ride: CZ 350!
barney wrote:

Sorry if I'm being a :yc: but I thought :maz: said there was no pressure relief valve in the circuit?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013 19:30 

having re read the description in the manual ref oil pressure
it may be me that's a :yc:
OIL PRESSURE
See Figure 3-115. The oil pump is non regulatory and delivers
its entire volume of oil under pressure
to the oil filter
mount. When an engine is cold, the engine oil will be more
viscous (i.e., thicker).
When an engine is operated at high speeds, the volume of oil
circulated through the oiling system increases, resulting in
higher oil pressure. As engine speed is reduced, the volume
of oil pumped is also reduced, resulting in lower oil pressure
To check oil pressure, use OIL PRESSURE GAUGE (Part No.
HD-96921-52B) and OIL PRESSURE GAUGE ADAPTER
(Part No. HD-96940-58). Remove oil pressure indicator
switch and insert pressure gauge fitting.
Ride motorcycle at least 20 miles (32 km) at or above
50 MPH (80 KM/H) until engine oil reaches normal operating
temperature. At 2500 RPM, oil pressure will vary from 10-
17 psi (69-117 kPa). At idle speed (950-1050 RPM), oil pressure
will vary from 7-12 psi (48-83 kPa).

most normal four stroke engine that I have worked on have a PRV fitted to limit pressure other wise as the rpm incresses so will the oil flow/ pressure to such an extent that it could blow seals ,gaskets,
http://youtu.be/tOiHdIXVWE8
http://youtu.be/7IpJlYssvkM

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013 19:52 
Site Admin

None of the pre 08 Buells have an oil pressure relief valve.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013 19:55 

:roll: If I'm a cabbage then Barney is a root veg lOl

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013 20:50 

If Maz believes that lack of a PRV in the oil circuit is the cause of the worm drive failure then a) will post 08 bikes not suffer the same demise? and
b) could we manufacture an aftermarket PRV to be bolted into or onto the engine?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013 20:56 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
08 and newer have a completely different oil pump design. No worm drive.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013 21:16 
Site Admin

Correct......08 bikes not only moved the pressure and scavenge rotors to drive directly off the cams but they introduced a relief valve.
Previous bikes rely heavily on the restriction drilling to the big end feed to supply sufficient operating pressure to the hydraulic lifters.......which is why I cant understand what Willy is trying to achieve :?
H-D will have investigated the restrictor size of the big end supply to death......if the drilling is opened up the big ends will get far more oil than they need, the sump/scavenge will be overwhelmed, resulting in the flywheels etc. 'dragging' in excess oil, swamping the bores etc. and the lifters/top end will be starved of their essential lube.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013 23:21 

DrBuella wrote:
If Maz believes that lack of a PRV in the oil circuit is the cause of the worm drive failure then a) will post 08 bikes not suffer the same demise?

In my opinion, for what it's worth, a lot of people seriously under estimate how slowly these motors take getting up to operating temperature. I never spank a Buell until it's done at least 10-12 miles ;)

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013 23:52 
Site Admin

:yt:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013 19:23 

Maz wrote:
Correct......08 bikes not only moved the pressure and scavenge rotors to drive directly off the cams but they introduced a relief valve.
Previous bikes rely heavily on the restriction drilling to the big end feed to supply sufficient operating pressure to the hydraulic lifters.......which is why I cant understand what Willy is trying to achieve :?
H-D will have investigated the restrictor size of the big end supply to death......if the drilling is opened up the big ends will get far more oil than they need, the sump/scavenge will be overwhelmed, resulting in the flywheels etc. 'dragging' in excess oil, swamping the bores etc. and the lifters/top end will be starved of their essential lube.

So it would also follow that if you used anything other than the recommended oil this could also have an adverse effect on the performance of the lubrication system i.e. modern fully synthetic to the old heavy 20/50 :?:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013 19:35 
Site Admin

I can always tell a bike fitted with synth oil as soon as it pulls up outside my shop ie. rattling top ends........the lifters dont like it :)

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013 23:03 
Think Pink

Current ride: Awesome Ulysses & X1
Maz wrote:

so the feed pressure side rotor of the pump measures 6.78 mm deep and savenge measures 17.78 mm ,so the scavenge side will easly return the volume of oil deliverd by feed side by 1.5 times as much ,dont think if it was possable to up the oil flow to the crank that the scavenge side would be overwelmed ;)

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013 08:51 

WILLYBUELL wrote:
Maz wrote:

so the feed pressure side rotor of the pump measures 6.78 mm deep and savenge measures 17.78 mm ,so the scavenge side will easly return the volume of oil deliverd by feed side by 1.5 times as much ,dont think if it was possable to up the oil flow to the crank that the scavenge side would be overwelmed ;)

yes scavenge side is normally far greater then lube side :yup:

my concern would be " Previous bikes rely heavily on the restriction drilling to the big end feed to supply sufficient operating pressure to the hydraulic lifters..." and the rest of the top end or whatever’s last to get supplied with oil in the circuit :!: