It is currently 20 Sep 2024 20:19

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Tuning an '08 XB9
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015 12:06 

Current ride: Lightning XB9SX
I know this sort of question that keeps coming up but I've not found any threads concerning an '08.

At the moment I am running stock headers (the smaller ones) a modified stock silencer (twin exit & valve open), K&N & Kitech fueller, it all goes fine with no problems and I'm very pleased with the improvements this made but appreciate this maybe isn't the best long term route.

I have a set of the earlier headers and a factory race silencer I'd like to fit but would also prefer to do things properly with the ECM and remove the fueller, so my question is, does ECMSpy work with the DDFI-3 ECM (if this is what I have) and does anyone have any experience of going this way?

Maybe a silly question but would an earlier race ECM work?

I'm more than happy being a spanner monkey but have zero experience playing around with injection systems & fuel maps so don't want to balls it up.

Fanx

Post subject: Re: Tuning an '08 XB9
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015 12:32 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
ECMSpy for Mono works with all ECMs

02-07 Race ECM will not work with 08/09/10 bikes

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015 13:53 

Cheers Pash. Looks like I'll be after one of your leads when you next do a batch then :yup:

Now another silly question, I thought the earlier headers were all larger but it turns out this can't be the case as my set have literally just arrived (my earlier post was pre-emptive of the postman) and they are actually 2-3mm smaller on the OD.

What year should I have looking for? These were described as 2003 onward :sad1:

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015 15:16 
proff. patpending

I shouldn't worry about what the old headers look like, they are half the story cos the muffler has a restrictive catalyst on the later models. The U.S. (non-catalyst) headers are the same from 02...

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015 17:43 

I thought I'd read somewhere (and seen) that some were a a larger diameter, and that the '08 headers diameter was reduced to increase gas speed through the cat and that effectively strangled the engine.

But, if I understand you correctly, the diameter is less of an issue than losing the cat in which case I'm tempted to keep the originals and either de-cat my current silencer or go back to plan A which was to save my pennies for a Remus with the larger inlet. If the headers themselves offer no real advantage other than choice of silencer I'll rather save myself the fiddly job of swapping them.

I've got no grumbles with it whatever, it brings a smile every time out but I can't resist tinkering and the other projects are done for now :)

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015 19:16 
proff. patpending

I would put the earlier pipes on. I understand (from Tubbs) that larger diameter headers on a 9 give you a drop in power. I am no expert on 9s, but easier to start with something that works well...

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015 20:06 

OK, I was starting to think I'd made a pigs ear of collecting the parts but it sounds like I made a lucky mistake with the headers in not getting the bigger ones then so that's good news.

I also have a Jardine can which I got before the race one came up, the Jardine looks like a pretty generic silencer so whilst popular I guess the factory one would be the best option - certainly my preference for looks and jacking points for wheel removal.

Thanks for your help, turns out I didn't know half what I thought so its much appreciated. :worthy:

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015 20:18 
proff. patpending

The Jardine is crap (sorry). The Buell Race exhaust, although a bucket of rust, won (IIRC) the exhaust shoot out at American Sportbike back in the day...

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015 21:44 

That's that decided then. The race can I have seems pretty solid but I'm going to have a look inside with an endoscope to see what its really like, can't be any worse than the standard one :D

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015 07:33 

Current ride: Buell xb9sx
Just spent 7-10days getting a race map onto a 2007 xb9sx. And it runs like a dog between 4000-5000rpm I'm refitting the fueler today and putting stock map back, personal I would have a look at twin motorcycles they will reflash it over a computer link.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015 14:02 

Already spoken to them, they said they could get close but suggested I look on some american forums for the right map. Makes sense I suppose as I assume the race can would have been more available over there.

Its worth knowing about your problem though as it goes like the proverbial brown stuff off a spade at the moment and it'd be a shame to spoil it with what is supposed to be a better setup. I was always going to keep the fueller on the shelf with the other bits anyway but elsewhere on here they generally get a bit of a slating so thought I ought to try & do it properly.

Possibly a silly question but can you not adjust the map you have with ECMSpy to sort out the problem?

On a different note, I was down your way again yesterday, maybe see you at Wessons cafe sometime when you're up & running :yup:

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015 20:43 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
pash wrote:
The Jardine is crap (sorry). The Buell Race exhaust, although a bucket of rust, won (IIRC) the exhaust shoot out at American Sportbike back in the day...

exhaust shoot out pdf link
http://www.sterlingidea.com/images/buel ... t_RevB.pdf

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2015 07:15 

Current ride: Buell xb9sx
A map is the best answer because it does fuel and timing I just don't have the time to play around with it. I have spoken to a couple of people about putting it on a rolling road but the don't have experience with buells so I would not trust them. Pm me if you are ever out this way for a ride out!

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2015 11:16 

Thanks for that link Barney, makes for some interesting reading and obviously took a lot of time and effort to compile such a detailed comparison. :clap:

It'd be worth you looking at that too Goofy, the race pipe does have a dip right where you're having problems. There was a race ecm up for grabs on the facebook page last week, no good for me but might sort you out if he still has it.
I'll try and let you know if I'm going out your way, just depends on work & kids when I can get a bit of time out so can be a bit last minute.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015 15:42 

Current ride: 2008 XB12R
pash wrote:
ECMSpy for Mono works with all ECMs

What about B2BIC?