It is currently 19 Sep 2024 20:21

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: My new firebolt
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016 09:53 

In fact, if you cut through the marketing bullshit and the pointless attempts at being different for the sake of it, it's widely said that Buell's acheivement with the XB chassis was building a bike that steered with the precision of a 250cc GP bike but without a tendency to try and chuck you off the bike when riding towrds the limit. Personally, I have no idea since my own limit wouldn't test a 50cc moped. But there you have it.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016 16:31 

Current ride: 1999 X1
Most bikes that have head shake have it due to being too softly sprung and damped. A properly tuned fork will be sufficiently calm.

But if you're trying to keep the bars from being ripped out of your hands from the gazillion square edged potholes, go for it. That's what they're for on enduro bikes. :D

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016 20:54 

Current ride: Triumph
03 wrote:
Trevtatler wrote:
Was wondering if it was worth fitting one Pash? Seen a few with dampers on, not had one on any of my other bikes though.

What do you wish to acheive by bolting a damper on? If you think it'll look cool, go right ahead. What it will actually do is slow down the steering and remove some of the feeling that you get from the front end of the bike, it'll also add useless weight. Buells have never really been known to need any calmingdown in the steering dept.

The last sentence was all I really needed to know to be honest
like I said I've just seen a few pictures with them fitted.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016 21:11 

Trevtatler wrote:
03 wrote:
Trevtatler wrote:
Was wondering if it was worth fitting one Pash? Seen a few with dampers on, not had one on any of my other bikes though.

What do you wish to acheive by bolting a damper on? If you think it'll look cool, go right ahead. What it will actually do is slow down the steering and remove some of the feeling that you get from the front end of the bike, it'll also add useless weight. Buells have never really been known to need any calmingdown in the steering dept.

The last sentence was all I really needed to know to be honest
like I said I've just seen a few pictures with them fitted.

To get the best out of the bike, you need to make sure things like steering head bearings, front and rear wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, front and rear suspension settings, tyre condition and pressures, engine mounts. In particular, the steering head bearings and wheel bearings are consumable items. Once you get all that right, there'll be no need for a damper.