It is currently 28 Sep 2024 10:29

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009 16:07 
I'm probably being a numpty here but when i went under the airbox cover to remove my autocom cable i noticed there was some considerable slack in the cable..so peered under t'exhaust and found the flap jobber in't zorst was stuck ..so zorst off..bit of worky worky oily oily oi and that was sorted ..all good...
except i need my fingers trapping in a door to stop me fiddling :cretin: ...i went up to t'air box and turned t'servo by hand and it stuck in position :? ...now i flicks it back and tried ignition and it seemed to reset to a position ....question is how do i know that is t'correct position...can anyone enlighten me, or point me to a picture of it in it's correct place...mines a bog standard waiting for the exhaust to rot before i do away with t'servo 07 Ulyssessess

Cheers ...Asda

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009 18:18 
chaps , help me out here...the servo thingy under the air cover...it appears it may have been that that has held the exhaust flapius open causin it to stick...has anyone got a picture of the servo thingy in place with the cable attached and has anyone got a piccy of one off the bike so i can see where the cable wheel jobber rests when disconnected...

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009 18:42 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I don't think you can get it wrong...

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009 20:15 
Have solved it...for whatever reason a stop peg had rounded off inside the servo, and although said motor is covered by warranty, freddy fat fingers ere stripped it doon....there is a black spring holder in the center of one of the gears...this is what helps keep the initial position...this has a jutty out piece that should lock against the outer gear and it was rounded, why was it it rounded , i'd guess that the zorst flap being seized made the motor try to pull and someting plastic gave way..tis now trimmed with a knife and works a treat. :dance: ..it appears my Europe trip was with zorst flap open ...returning avg 56mpg, albeit a bit erratic at slow speed ...

Pash.. your correct if the unit has not had some kind internal failure or gear slipage...

If any one has a similar problem dont bin the servo it's may still be servicable..if you want indepth instructions pm me....that said the goal should hopefully bin the standar zorst get rid of the servo and :D smile

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009 08:57 

I think I have the same problem - my exhaust servo motor 'sticks' in one of two positions, seems quite erratic. I'll make a video of it cycling when the bike is turned on.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009 11:38 
if your brave enough to look inside..you'll see a peg on the centre black spring tensioner which should locate on the outer cream coloured main gear...

If your exhaust flap has seized or got stuck for any reason...like mine had a pebble covered in tar wedging it partially open....then the motor still tries to pull the cable resulting in it rounding said peg off....i initially tried building the peg up by plastic welding but it's not strong enough so instead opted for a roll pin...although due to the good nature of a Buell Enthusiast on ere i have loan of an unmolested version.

Whatever you do if you take to pieces be armed with a marker pen so you can line up all the gears and motor pinion.

The manual states to reset it's position, with ignition off , cable disconected at servo, throttle held fully open, engine run switch set to ON, turn ign on...watch servo cycle then come to rest.....this is you starting point....if you look at the servo pully...theres a flat portion that does not run the cable in it...this should be in line with your cable outer...try this first it may just need re setting...once back at the base setting...the manual then says you should pull the exhaust flap open with the cable at the servo end, mark the cable with your black marker then reconnect, cycle the servo with cable on and you should, if adjustment is right see the mark when it cycles ..if not adjust with the knurled wheel ont' cable.......

hope that elps

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009 19:14 

Yeah, I read through the section in the service manual but it still doesn't seem right.

Here is a video of the motor (not) turning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3w0z-aShm8
This is turning the kill switch to run while the throttle is held wide open.

My bike still has about 3 weeks of warranty left, so I should be able to get it sorted at the dealer.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009 08:58 
:shock: .....you'll break it.... :o

The reason the motor is not turning is the quadrant it currently in it's fully open position....take the cable off and do the reset .....does it move to a new position??

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009 09:30 

Ah, yes I see.....

Off to play with it now.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009 13:15 

This is the motor cycling with no cable attached:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGozo9efreU

Even with the cable adjuster set to allow the cable to be fully slack there is still not enough play in it....

Is it starting in the correct position?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009 14:10 
yourguitarhero wrote:
This is the motor cycling with no cable attached:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGozo9efreU

Even with the cable adjuster set to allow the cable to be fully slack there is still not enough play in it....

Is it starting in the correct position?

Nope....

looks like a new one or opening up the old one and mending the pin which will have snapped or rounded....check your exhaust valve is working freely and not jammed by a stone as mine was....

I'd be surprised if Buell/HD will swop under warranty..wouldnt with mine

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009 15:36 

Cool, thanks for the info.

I'll take it up to the dealer and see what they say, otherwise I'll be opening her up myself.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009 17:48 

Access denied by dealer!
Understandable since I have non-standard exhuast on...

Looks like I'll be opening her up tonight!

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009 17:54 
yourguitarhero wrote:
Access denied by dealer!
Understandable since I have non-standard exhuast on...

Looks like I'll be opening her up tonight!

i'm confuserated...has this non standard zorst got an exhaust flap :?: ...if not, take cable off, leave servo connected and forget about it

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009 18:20 

Yeah, it's Termignoni and it has the exhaust valve.