It is currently 28 Sep 2024 04:19

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009 19:04 
THE FLYING DUCHMAN wrote:
The oil level check is on the side stand and the gearbox level check is with the bike upright. The engine uses some oil to start with, like a BMW boxer engine, but very little after about 4k miles. After that I think most is vapour loss from the breather system.

I topped up the oil in the swing arm with 4T20/50, this is where it goes? I can do a full oil change in about 500 miles time. Just need to change the engine oil (swing arm) right and not the transmission oil?

Last edited by ph4824 on 02 Dec 2009 19:15, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009 19:13 
Quote:
I topped up the oil in the swing arm!!! Is this not where the engine oil goes?

Yes it is and that is fine. No problem.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009 19:18 
If you hold a rag over the can outlet and rev the bike you will soon notice if you have a bad leak at the headers. I belive that you need to replace the seals if you do any work on the headers.

you mean change the gaskets?

Like I said all looks ok but might not be. You should have a Torx key that fits this bolt in your bikes tool kit.

I have torx bits but now realise I need the allen key type!

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009 19:32 
Quote:
you mean change the gaskets?

They may not be needed but, given the problem of changing the headers on an XB, is cheaper in the long run. I would myself.

Quote:
I have torx bits but now realise I need the allen key type!

They may have changed them to the "Allen-type" head on the new bikes. Even if they have I would have thought it would be in the tool kit as mine are for this size. Are you sure this is the case. They can look/feel the same and you may need to take out the battery and/or fuse box.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009 17:55 

Current ride: XB12XT
Suspected electrical problems.....and an alarm fitted......hmmmmm

Personally I'd remove the alarm and return the bike to stock electrically and see if you still have the problem.

Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009 19:07 
ericry wrote:
Suspected electrical problems.....and an alarm fitted......hmmmmm

Personally I'd remove the alarm and return the bike to stock electrically and see if you still have the problem.

Eric.

Problem occurred before alarm fitted I'm afraid.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009 20:51 

Current ride: XB12XT
I'd go back to basics then...checking plugs, ht cables, earth points etc. Any worn or pinched cables etc. Check any connections you can find, open them rub with fine emery paper and put back with dielectric grease.

Have you any air leaks around the injectors ? Spray wd 40 while running around this area.

I've seen simple problems stump good mechanics but they usually find the problem by going though everything.

Sorry no magic answers - I'm not a mechanic !!

Also if the problem is not there now you cant troubleshoot it unless you find one of the above issues thats causing intermittant problems. Wobble cables connection when bike running (an expert on here might say dont do this with a Buell - I dont know !!!)

Does water/rain bring on the issues ??

Eric.

'83 CX650 Custom
Green "4 Legged" SUV

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009 21:13 
ericry wrote:
Does water/rain bring on the issues ??

WATER/RAIN :o

It failed on me last Saturday, it was a bit damp. But there again it has mostly failed when dry and hot which is when I tend to ride it. Like I've mentioned before, it seems to run well from cold, then I stop and restart after a coffee/tea and then it can restart in a bad mood! Lumpy, poor idle etc.

Never seems to fail when I have my camera with me :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009 21:16 
greasemonkey wrote:
:shut: :shut: :ill: :shut:

Don't get it??

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009 19:43 

I took my new 2010 XB12SX out yesterday for its first 40 mile run, and yes.....the fan comes in at around 18mph and stays on all the time until the speed drops below this.
It was freezing cold, and TBH I did not expect the fan to come on at all....whats the point? :cry:

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009 19:19 
Buellie wrote:
I took my new 2010 XB12SX out yesterday for its first 40 mile run, and yes.....the fan comes in at around 18mph and stays on all the time until the speed drops below this.
It was freezing cold, and TBH I did not expect the fan to come on at all....whats the point? :cry:

The whole idea of this sounds daft. Maybe the ECU has something in it that will change the "fan-run-time" with miles on the bike.

Apart from anything else the old way of doing it is fine once you got some miles, 4K plus and a R/H scoop, on the bike.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009 21:44 

Buellie wrote:

Wierd, cos I have the same bike and having done 500 miles, the bikes' fan is definately not speed related as I have posted previously. Those 'IN THE KNOW' told me that this would change after the first service :!: ;)

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009 21:33 

Thanks guys.....it is definately speed related.

Funny thing is, when you slow down in traffic it stops.....right when you would expect it to start up.

BTW the 2010 sx has a right hand side air scoop fitted as standard

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009 21:47 
Apart from anything else the old way of doing it is fine once you got some miles, 4K plus and a R/H scoop, on the bike.

With my exhaust I doubt if the R/H air scoop would fit? Instead I run my bike without the plastic trim in place (where the R/H scoop would go) and I would expect this increases airflow also.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009 22:44 

Buellie wrote:
Thanks guys.....it is definately speed related.

So, do they come from the factory like this, the MY10s, or is it changed post 1st service. My Bristolian brain is getting confused.......... :lol:

p.s. mine doesn't. :?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next