It is currently 28 Sep 2024 05:24

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 04:08 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
I've never had the pleasure/pain of riding a Buell Tuber. No one around here has one; only 1 other Bueller in my area, in fact, with a Uly. So I can't compare with my '06 Ss. But I am terribly attached to my XB, so the thought of selling it and buying 2 bikes to replace it is hard for me to contemplate, yet tempting. Prices are down, so my xb would not fetch enough to cover both, but for an extra $1500 - 2000 US plus proceeds from the sale of the xb, I could pick up an S1W and a '01 X1.
No brainer for :maz: , I know.
But how can I make a judgment call like that without any feel for what those two bikes will be like? Without a basis for comparison, I have no idea what I would be giving up, and what pleasures and craziness I would gain (other than having two cool bikes instead of just one).
Please throw in all the typical "xb are shite - you won't regret it for a moment" type comments if you wish, but I'm hoping for some honest perspective, not only about the mechanics and the build quality, but about the feel, and especially what I might miss, moving from my 8-) xb to those 2bers.
Fire away!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 06:47 

Current ride: Not a Buell
I've got an '09 XB12Ss and a '97 S1 Lightning.
The S1, even with a rebuilt gel seat is bloody uncomfortable to ride, and really is for short journeys only - unless you're into pain!! lOl
The XB12 is a better better all round ride from the technical point of view.
It handles and brakes better (and the seat is a pleasure to sit on).

But if I could only keep one of the two bikes it'd be the S1. It's a more involving ride, and being a raw brute of a bike you have to work with it to get the best out of it. But the rewards are worth it. I've never got off the bike without a smile - except for the umpteen times the f*cker broke down (my original S1, that is)!! lOl.

I had my first S1 back in 2000, and it's a bit like your first shag, or the first record your bought - you never forget them. But if you start riding Buells on an XB, then maybe the way you see a tuber will be different.

All I know is, my S1 feeds my soul :)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 06:52 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I am with you on all counts there Garry, EXCEPT that my S1 is well comfortable with the Corbin seat.

I did have a go on an X1, but it didn't inspire me...

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 07:05 

Current ride: Not a Buell
Pash, tell me about the seat :)
Why is it more comfy?
Got any piccies?

In the meantime I'm off to the Corbin site to check if they're still making them!!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 09:31 
proff. patpending

I had an original seat (on my S1w), but I found it was too soft and was uncomfortable, even for short journeys, although I can't really describe why... The S1 has a Corbin seat which is a lot firmer, and I have no complaints between filling the tank (classic S1 size).

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 10:07 
Motorrad

Keep the XB and buy one of the tube framed Bikes (S1 is cooler but X1 rides better) that way you have the best of both worlds.
An XB and two tubers is just plain greedy :D

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 11:00 

To me the X1's look dated now :o where as the S1 is a timeless design and looks as good now as it did when it came out in the 90's 8-)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 11:24 
proff. patpending

:yt:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 12:27 

Quote:
The Firebolt was a cracking bike, really loved it, but it was brand new, and my first Buell, once I found out what was to be involved later on in its life regards servicing and probable repair, thats what swung it to the X1 for me
That's where I am right now, thinking long term Buell ownership and what will be involved down the line. But loving every minute on the XB, and so far, no complaints about its maintenance.

Quote:
The XB12 is a better better all round ride from the technical point of view.
It handles and brakes better (and the seat is a pleasure to sit on)
But if I could only keep one of the two bikes it'd be the S1. It's a more involving ride, and being a raw brute of a bike you have to work with it to get the best out of it. But the rewards are worth it.
All I know is, my S1 feeds my soul :)
The XB is the woman you fell deeply in love with and married; the S1 is your mistress... but you still love your wife intensely :twisted:

Quote:
Keep the XB and buy one of the tube framed Bikes (S1 is cooler but X1 rides better) that way you have the best of both worlds.
That was the original plan: keep the xb and find an S1. And then there's the little Blast.... Why, oh why can we not all just be satisfied with one Honda apiece, no soul to have to have feelings for? lOl Honestly, it comes down to finding a beautiful S1 (mistress), then choosing between the XB and the X1 (the daily "ride".... better stop with the metaphors before I get into deep trouble)
Quote:
An XB and two tubers is just plain greedy :D
You're a fine one to talk (envy...envy)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 20:18 
Milf Hunter

Current ride: '98 S1
My S1 satisfies most of my biking needs these days. I've still got a '98 Triumph Sprint Sport for the occasional foray down through the Alps, as the S1 is not suited to long Autoroute days.
I rode mine 200 miles non stop to Deliverence this year in the rain with no ill effects and I've ridden 520 miles in a day to Em's Day at East Kirkby. Admittedly. I was glad to get off the bike by the time I got home, but still got on it again the next morning.

I personally do not have a problem with the standard seat, but I think that the choice of bars affects the riding position. Mine are (alledgedly) S2 bars and are fairly low which means that I lean forwards more, with the balls of my feet on the pegs and my arse doesn't get numb too quickly. I move around a bit on the bike for corners/ roundabouts etc. and avoid motorways wherever possible. You can make just as good time on the backroads unless you are in a group.

I think the problem for you will be to find a nice bike with provenance that has been looked after. I'm sure there are some about, but the youngest one you'll find is still over 10 years old.

Mine's never gonna be a mint show bike because I like riding it too much, but then it's never going to be for sale either. ;)

Good luck in your quest.
Mick

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 21:14 

Current ride: X1 2001
I had an XBR I now have an X1 , i wouldn't go back !

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 21:34 

Nutah wrote:

buy why? is it for the nakedness (can get that on my Ss)? The looks? The feel of the ride? The maintenance issues? Sumtin' else?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 21:37 

Like Mick says, I've never had any undue discomfort with my S1 seat. Again, my bars are quite low (Renthal Ultra lows)
Always found it as comfy as any other bike.
My X1 handles better than an earlier Tuber though.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010 21:53 
proff. patpending

Adam wrote:
My X1 handles better than an earlier Tuber though.

I prefer to stand on the pegs wrestling with my S1 as the front end goes light when rolling on the torque as I cross the Mendips... :twisted:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010 08:18 

Current ride: X1 2001
Motorrad wrote:
Nutah wrote:

buy why? is it for the nakedness (can get that on my Ss)? The looks? The feel of the ride? The maintenance issues? Sumtin' else?

TBH all of that and more ..it plugs into my soul .
The XBR wasn't a bad bike but , the X1 is for me a better bike , i was having back probs with the XBR, I had put an LSL top yoke on , Renthal bars , lower XBS pegs,a recovered seat with a gel pad, and still it wasn't right for me .
I then having test rode the X1, found exactly what i wanted, it's not perfect but what is ?
At the end of the day it's your money , you have to do the right thing for you. :yup: :sun: